BlackRatchet

BRR Poll

49 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

BRR doesn't totally suck yet, but it will need to start warming up soon or it will lose some people. First of all, both hosts seem to be saying "me me me" quite a bit and secondly, Strom seems to be becoming a control freak. I respect both hosts and believe they will come up with a flow and things will improve. They will never replace Stank and that is fine, I'm sure their personallity will come through eventually. I will hang on for another month and see how satisfied I am then. Thanx for putting the time and effort into the show guys, and keep in mind it is a show not a BS session. ;)

I've been listening to BRR since ep 22, every show, every week. Though I like BlackRatchet and Strom, I miss the hell out of Stank. It's not really fair to compare the new show versus the old one. BRR was an extension of Stank's personality. It was his humor, his rants, his inquisitiveness. I still remember laughing out loud on a plane to North Dakota in December listening to the first Telephonic Craptacular when Stank replaced the telemarketer speaking his real name with "that's MISTER Dawg to you!"

I really think I should stay away from a potential jail-type situation

Priceless.

Anyhow, BlackRatchet and Strom have to make the show their own with their own ideas and their own personalities. The show isn't and can't be the same show with new hosts. It wouldn't work. Comparing the two is like comparing RFA and Default Radio. They're different shows with different hosts and different personalities. Though I don't really think it was entirely his intention, Stank often was an excellent interviewer, asking questions that the audience wanted to ask and sometimes serving to break down a difficult topic. That was his strength. Strom and BlackRatchet have their own strengths which they'll have to take advantage of. Saying the new show is better or sucks makes no sense. The new and old shows are different animals.

PF

I think that its way different, but that's becase it is, Stanks gone, and this is the way ya'll are doing the show, just have to get used to the transition. Listen to the first episodes of BinRev and you'll hear the same thing between RFA.

I like it. Even though Stank was a good, experienced show host, I got tired of it being Stank and <cohost> every week, so I like the change.

I hope you go into topics that you are more experienced in and Stank didn't talk much about, like Phone Phreaking. It would also be cool if you went into social engineering and physical security/lock picking, which Stank also never want into much.

Even though BR and SC are more phone phreaks than computer hackers, It'd still be cool to have an episode about exploits. No need to get into to many techincal details (like assembly and shell code), just explain the underlying concepts, why / when they usually happen (copying user input into a buffer without checking lengths, etc). how they can be used to gain access. And what you can do to protect your own code from overflows. Also if that doesn't take up a whole show you could get into SQL exploits or rootkits something, how they work (without too many technical details), and how to protect against most of them.

I hope we'll someday here from Stank again and it's not old yeller good-bye permanently, even if he doesn't become the show host again. In the meant time I look forward to listening to what BR and SC have to say.

Edited by freeman

It's very simple. Select a topic and discuss it. Do you need a topic? I am sure we can all suggest plenty of material to go over.

I understand that this is a new direction so Im being patiant, also I would realy like to hear some real phreaking content

It's very simple.  Select a topic and discuss it.  Do you need a topic?  I am sure we can all suggest plenty of material to go over.

Actually, not true. It's much more involved than just that... anyone who's worked in radio should know this (e.g. Me).

I just finished listening to episode 108 (starting in hacking) and was pleased to hear the hosts recognize that "hacking" covers a broad range of pursuits loosely connected by a common curiousity about technology.

I'd be interested in hearing regular interviews with people who hack on some interesting technology "foo", where foo may be VOIP or low-power FM radio or modifying model airplanes to take aerial photographs or whatever. Give the interviewee some time to convince listeners that hacking on foo is fun, and give them some pointers on how to get started themselves. These might make good interview questions:

1. What is foo and why is hacking foo fun?

2. What event first exposed you to foo, and what did you do to learn more?

3. What kind of equipment and docs do you need to hack foo, and how much do they cost?

4. What's the coolest thing you've done with foo, and what are you working on now?

5. Is there an interesting foo-related problem you haven't solved yet that you'd like to bounce off the listeners?

A pre-recorded and edited (rather than live) session would be fine if that makes it easier to get material from busy people.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for putting the effort into doing the show!

Way better.

I don't know why... it just seems like you guys focus on more tech/omgleeth4x stuff than Stank did.

It's still good, but I kind of feel like it's becoming a bit too like default radio. You know, more phreaking than I'd personally like - default had loads of that kind of stuff, and I'd rather hear more hacking stuff. Having said that, I think you guys have definitely been warming up and, provided you start pulling in guest hosts from time to time, work on your interview technique, and find some interesting topics to discuss, it should get really good. The nice thing about Stank was that he was an incredibly easy guy to get on with, which I don't think Strom has. Also, I liked the way that Stank came from a programming mindset.

I got a couple of minutes to kill before my brother gets his shit together and gets here to go surf.

I've seen this a couple times over the last few days. I say to all, please at least read the show notes for 105 106 107 108 and 109 if you didn't actually listen.

While not like BRR ep's 1-104, they have almost zero in common with Default Radio, or even telephony for that matter. You guys (Black Ratchet, Strom whoever) are going to have to just tune this shit out. I mean, I have mailed everything I sold on ebay the same day I got payment and still have 2 negative feedbacks.....case in point. Some people are just impossible to please. :lol::lol::lol:

You don't see artists ask what people want to see. They just make it. Some people absolutely fucking hate it, some think it is the greatest art they have seen to date.

I say, be an artist.

The new eps are alright ( well, at least the early few that i have listened to. ) But i really havent held much intrest lately in listening. Not to say that the show is shit, but it just doesnt intrest me as much for some odd reason. But the show is alright. :umph: Even if you were to lose some listeners, im sure you would gain some.

Edited by |cfh|

I think you guys have done a fine job taking over the show. I'll miss hearing StankDawg every week, but eventually we'll all get over it.

Much worse now than when StankDawg did it.

And thats saying something the way he bitched and moaned when Stank did it. It's off the freakin' chart!

Hahahahahahahaha, nice burn. XD

Well considering it will take some time to react to the change, I guess my vote is kinda bogus... I like both Strom and Black Ratchet, but Stank just had a differant way of running things... Just like I missed RFA .. dual had his way of running things. SO I will still continue to listen, and prolly enjoy the show, I just hope the host will hold an open mind, and make the show about the scene, and have chances for others to get on and contribute! :grr:

If you guys would like, I could post a thing on lockpicking/voicemail on lockpicking (I'm not sure how the quality would be) or if co-hosts are anything planned in the future, I'd be able to do a segment.

i voted slightly worse than when stankdawg did it. but i think i should clarify a bit.

i really like the new episodes with the new hosts. I think you guys show great potential for making the show very good. You guys have already, in just 4 episodes, come up with some new ideas to make the show better.

however, i think that at this moment, you guys haven't quite settled in and found your comfortable way of doing the show. It was great when stank did it because he built the show exactly how he wanted it. I think if you guys think of a way you would feel more comfortable doing things, you shouldn't be afraid to change it up.

best of luck!

I think the new BRR is great! I don't understand the criticism.

Maybe it is because Stank was so good or maybe the criticism is their way of honoring Stank? Im not sure.

It's none of my business why Stank quit but I believe he is a smart guy and left the show in very capable hands.

I do have one question though. Why does the website state that the new shows are broadcast every Tuesday night at 9:30 est ?

Keep up the good work,

DarkSource

If this means anything to you. I still hang around the alt.2600 news groups. Now these things have been in perpetual flame wars for years. You can't say hello on there without being burned. Anyway, I read a post yesterday from a couple people talking about on line radio shows. BRR was mentioned as "pretty good" as was Default Radio. Take it as you will but getting "pretty good" out of a news group is pretty impressive.

If this means anything to you.  I still hang around the alt.2600 news groups.  Now these things have been in perpetual flame wars for years.  You can't say hello on there without being burned.  Anyway, I read a post yesterday from a couple people talking about on line radio shows.  BRR was mentioned as "pretty good" as was Default Radio.  Take it as you will but getting "pretty good" out of a news group is pretty impressive.

Not all that fair a statement for the generality. I'm a regular over at alt.hacker (Regular reader at least - occasional poster... :)), and that's for the most part perfectly fine. We get problems because it's predominatly "white-hat hackers" that read and post there, and there's always the occasional idiot coming along and demanding software cracks or warez logins or the likes. Apart from that though it's pretty peaceful on the flame-front.

I'm actually here because BRR was brought up over there once, and I came to have a look. That was maybe 4 or 5 months ago... :)

The alt.2600 groups are like you say however, which is a shame. I've tried reading them before and given up because of the atmosphere in there...