BlackRatchet

BRR Poll

49 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

OK, now that the 4th episode is coming on tonight, I'm now soliciting opinions on what everyone thinks of the new show, compared to when Stank was running it. Be honest, I am thick skinned and am more instrested in running a good show then being surrounded by Yes Men.

me thinks the phone in idea was a good one. should run that a bit more ?

Edited by Belial

Lawl. Black is the mang, but liek Stank was the good too.

Regardless, I always vote on the most negative option in polls.

It's a really tough transition for you guys. Stank left some really big shoes behind, and I'm not sure you could ever hope to fill them. But that's the legacy he leaves behind! Just keep going after what he believed in, sharing information, a community of "hackers" (not crackers as he would say) working together to help each other, and keep on questions things that don't seem fair or right.

I wish you all the best, and continued success with this project. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't compare yourself to Stank, make this your own show. Do things a little differently, bring a fresh perspective to the show. Also, I was a huge fan of the "guest" co-hosts. Not that we don't all love Strom and Black but it's nice to mix things up every now and then and I'm glad to see you guys are sticking with that tradition! In any case, good luck guys :)

-Dr^ZigMan

I voted slightly worse, it isn't awful or anything, and I think you guys will come into your own. There is nothing you did wrong so to speak, just a lack of familiarity each other and the fact it's just different. That may not make sense, the way I said slightly worse because it's different. To clarify though, I mean very, very slightly. Also, like you said I was just trying to be 100% honest for you, but don't know exactly why I feel 105-107 weren't as good as say 91-93 (random choice). Since I don't know exactly why, I chalk it up to difference, which will fix itself.

The only real complaint is Strom being a stickler for spelling and grammar. It *is* part of his personality, and as someone who takes great pains to come across as a civilized human, it's part of mine as well. I would love to bash people that come across as either lazy or idiotic all day, but realized a while back it only grates on people. (I feel where you come from on that Strom, if you read this). Now that he has put that part of his personality forward, hopefully that was all he wanted to do. Even as a fellow spelling Nazi, I found it wrong that he changed a word (I forget which one) while reading an email due to a perceived lack of existence of the word (yep, I caught that ;) ). That said, to me it seems Strom has more natural charisma than you BlackRatchet, or it just comes the airwaves that way. Be sure to allow him to shine, sarcastic wit and all.

I love the plans you guys have for calls, I think it is a great idea. That will probably make it slightly better IMO. If executed well, it will likely take the show into another (good) realm. I myself always thought Binrev was a little heavy on the entertainment and a little light on the education. Why not try and create a better balance there?

HTH :)

One of the things that has certainly not worked in our favor recently is that the last few shows have mainly been Ratchet and I going "whoa, we've got a radio show," tapping the microphone, and saying "um, is this thing on?"

I expect the general quality of the show to improve as we move into harder material.

One of the things that has certainly not worked in our favor recently is that the last few shows have mainly been Ratchet and I going "whoa, we've got a radio show," tapping the microphone, and saying "um, is this thing on?"

I expect the general quality of the show to improve as we move into harder material.

I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head, and any "problems" will work themselves out.

im an internet radio show whore (at least stuff that has come from this site) so i love it that you guys are keeping the show going :D

The only real complaint is Strom being a stickler for spelling and grammar. It *is* part of his personality, and as someone who takes great pains to come across as a civilized human, it's part of mine as well. I would love to bash people that come across as either lazy or idiotic all day, but realized a while back it only grates on people. (I feel where you come from on that Strom, if you read this). Now that he has put that part of his personality forward, hopefully that was all he wanted to do. Even as a fellow spelling Nazi, I found it wrong that he changed a word (I forget which one) while reading an email due to a perceived lack of existence of the word (yep, I caught that ;) ).

I'm fairly sure that on every other radio show, if a letter is to be read on the air, errors will generally be edited out of the letter to make it sound more natural. I attempt to read the letters verbatim on the air; I point out where I'm making the change only if the original text doesn't make any sense or if the spelling of the word clashes with the intended context. If you guys want your letters read verbatim on the air, make sure that they sound right when read aloud, and double- or even triple-check them for errors.

I agree with Evolve. The show is different in the way the content is brought across. I think people are so use to Stank doing it that the change of pace has thrown people a little bit. I enjoy the show very much still but I think it will take some time for me to adjust. Looking forward to what is to come in the near future. Keep up the great work guys.

I went for "The same"... Of course, there really haven't been enough episodes to compare/contrast yet... The only two things I didn't like so far are:

1. Talk about grammar in emails... I think it's ok to correct it and I'm sure Stank did that too (usually on the fly it seemed). Just don't dwell on it too long...

2. Let people drop the F-Bombs. I understand limiting yourself, but I think it makes people even more nervous if they feel they have to filter what they would normally say. For FM, it can go through an edit process later...

Overall, I think BRR has been good in the past, not so much because of the host, but because he had the insight to get great guests that were excited about the projects they were working on. Stank also had a knack for asking questions he already knew the answer to, but the average listener might not.

So far I think you guys are doing great, but we won't know for sure until episode #208, so get to work slackers ;)

it has great potential

and stank couldn't of picked a better host. BlackRatchet is an awesome guy and i happen to be a strom carlson fanboy <3

i was really excited when i first heard that BR and Strom where the new host because now we can have some more phone related episode....even though i do miss hearing stanks voice

the new binrev radio gets the coveted TelcoBob Seal of Approval :voteyes: :voteyes:

I'm not going to vote. I think it's too early to judge. I think you guys are doing a good job just as long as you stay away from "a show about a show" thing. I like how you've started to add your own style to it. Adding your own style was something I think took Stankdawg a long time to do. It took awhile for it to stop being an RFA spin-off. He used a lot of the same segment names such as housekeeping and phreak news. I think this was because he was used to how things were at RFA. RFA wasn't a bad model to follow, but he kept at it and it grew into his own style. Don't be afraid to let the show become a different style with you two at the wheel. The more natural for you two the better.

edit: Mad props. I especially like the way Strom sounds on the radio. He is a natural.

Edited by djmollusk

I too also give it a "slightly" worse vote. Mainly because you guys have only been doing it for 4 shows compared to 2 years. I like the ideas you guys have about the future of the show, and it will be exciting to listen to the "development" of the show as you guys invision.

I am going to complain about the poll in general. Your poll may as well have been on a scale of one to five how much does it suck compared to Stank's show. Don't compare it to Stanks show, if you start thinking that way it will never be as good. Make it your show, make it original, and once the kinks get worked out the "production quality" will be as good. Keep up the great work, I hope you are on for at least another 2 years.

random thought: i for some reason knew, that Strom would take over the show. How I knew, I do not know.

It is hard to judge the shows produced so far. I haven't listened to today's show yet, but the 3 previous shows were hard to judge:

-(105) first show was an introduction episode and you guys were exploring.

-(106) second show was an explanation of Defcon. I personally liked the stories, that you had to tell. I also liked the choice of guests, who also contributed in a good way, by being able to share their experiences.

-(107) post defcon review. I too liked those stories and the brief explanation of some of the topics that were presented. It is understandable, that you guys just came home and were tired.

It is yet too early to compare you to from when stank was running the show, because you have yet got to have a show with a main technical topic. If you want a guide line of what a good technical episode is, take a look at the Asterisk episode. I loved it. Overall I think you guys are doing a great job and have faith, that you won't let the listeners down.

Much worse now than when StankDawg did it.

Edited by Hell Reapers

And thats saying something the way he bitched and moaned when Stank did it. It's off the freakin' chart!

And thats saying something the way he bitched and moaned when Stank did it. It's off the freakin' chart!

You ask “How would you rate BRR compared between Stankdawg and SC/BR?"

i give you my answers am sorry if you do not like it I like you and strom I just do not like the show

Ps. I did not bitched and moaned when Stank did it all the time

You ask for opinins and got them. Deal with it.

Edited by darkslider

None of the options fit in how I think the show's going. I've not been listening for a huge amount of time - started around the early 90's ep-wise, but I've back listened now to the early 40's - so I might not be the best person to give an opinion on this, but here it is anyway...

I don't think that the SC/BR show is better than Stank was. I also don't think that it's any worse. The problem is that I definatly don't think it's the same... :)

It's a different show. It is still "BinRev Radio", but it's not the same show as when Stank was doing it. That's not a bad thing, but it's a different show and a direct comparison doesn't work too well...

Strom and BlackRatchet need time to come into their own, as others have said, and when that happens I have no doubt that it will be as good as ever :)

--

Graham

Once you get used to something for so long, any change will make it seem odd.

People don't like change good or bad. in this case we don't have a choice.

I for one am gratefull that BRR is still going. And am looking forward to see what Strom Carlson and BlackRatchet are going to do with it and what direction they will take it.

Good on you, you took on something big that had a lot of attention and respect. I for one would shit my pants. :D

How can I be the only one who noticed BlackRatchet was just dropping a little joke?!

My opinion of these two guys just went up a couple notches. They just spent about 24 hours getting bombed in a poll, and haven't responded with anything that deserves either a "i give you my answers am sorry if you do not like it I like you and strom I just do not like the show", or a "You ask for opinins and got them. Deal with it." The negative criticism is fine, they asked for and probably want it. Wouldn't have done this if they didn't. I am only responding to clarify the fact they are "dealing with it" just fine. So keep the opinions coming, good or bad, it only helps their show.

EDIT: You guys (BR and Strom) are going to have to seriously take this poll with a grain of salt, as D31337's sophomoric post show's. He can't be the only person under the age of thirteen who can't resist clicky clicky of the shiny, alluring bash the guys who have a show button. ;)

Edited by Evolve

It's an okay show. It's not Binrev. But that's the price you pay to replacing the hosts. They're going to want to do it their own way. I don't like how it's going to be always BlackRatchet and Strom Carlson. I was hoping it would be BlackRatchet & guest host. Doing it the traditional way with a speaker phone. But now that it's beeing done the Default Radio way where it all through the phone and something just doesn't seem right about that. The quality is now less because everyone is talking through a phone, so that's one problem.

And I really just don't want to hear Strom Carlson every week and his opinions that are just rude. StankDawg was a nice man to everyone. Stank was even nice to people that treated him like shit. But strom is just, you know... just how strom is. I was really hoping to hear BlackRatchet every week with another guest. But instead it was always going to be the same. So you're going to loose an audience probably because people aren't tuning in anymore to hear somebody different to hear what they have to say. instead they are going to hear strom saying the same thing every week.

But enough said about that. The show doesn't "suck" It's just different. It's like with George took over Coast to Coast. I didn't think it sucked. It was still a good show. It was just different.

Don't flame me or I'll murder you. This is just my opinion. No more to be said by me. Thanks for reading.