Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
natas

Anyone Using A Blackberry???

26 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have a Blackberry? I'm thinking of getting one. Web browsing, Email, AIM and SSH from my phone seems leet.

I have one from work. If you do not mind being in touch 24 hours a day I guess it is not bad. I mainly use it for Lotus Notes Access and a phone. I takes alittle getting used to the keyboard and scroll wheel.

Some people have turned into a major pain in the ass becasuse of them. You will be talking to them and they are reading and sending e-mails.

yeah you have the 7100 series one though subz. cant get one of those with the provider i have.

From what ive seen there not bad, however I personally couldn't see myself shelling out the extra cash for one, both my mom and step dads can be VERY cumbersome at times, plus there are a bunch of nice GSM phones that can do everything a blackberry can do.

i have one from my work. i'm addicted to the thing. seriously addicted.

which one do you have? the 7290 looks pretty leet. and the 7230 is kind of like the standard model, which is still pretty elite looking.

i have the 7250 with verizon. i really like the features. the only drawback is using it as a phone. if you are comfortable using a slim and sleek cell phone, it's going to seem like you are talking to a brick. if you use a bluetooth headset or a wired headset, you won't mind it at all. i don't notice anymore. also, you will have to deal with oil from your face on the screen.

is there an IRC client for blackberrys??

Man. I really want a blackberry. But I dunno. It's still so expensive for the blackberry. AND for the bluetooth headset. AND the plan is still high for 1000 minutes + unlimited internet. ANd i dont even think that gives you nights/weekends :(

why get a blackberry when u can get a laptop.

Edited by hbp71605

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say maybe....they are WAY smaller.

*thwack*

That's the same as saying "Why get a laptop when you can lug your desktop around?"

I have had every toy known to man and I currently have a 7100t. It sucks, it looks cool, but it sucks. I used to have a sidekick and it was way better and it had a SSH client, it was way better to type on and the sound was excellent. The blackberry selling point is the "push" email but to you can forward email to a sidekick or any other phone if you have access to a server. Whatever you do dont get one of those fo fo RAZR V3s they look cool but it is so thin that I almost dropped it several times pulling it out of my pocket or holster, not good for a $600 phone.

P.S. Dont plan on websurfing on a phone it is sloooooooooooow, SSH is good though.

Man. I really want a blackberry. But I dunno. It's still so expensive for the blackberry.  AND for the bluetooth headset.  AND the plan is still high for 1000 minutes + unlimited internet.  ANd i dont even think that gives you nights/weekends :(

Hmm, it seems these are the main plans available? Shown below is Verizon and Nextel respectively. What plans do you guys with BBs have?

verizonblackberry8mp.jpg

nextelblackberry8wh.jpg

t-mobile seems to be the most popular service provider for blackberrys since their data+voice plans are so cheap. cingular is pretty cheap too compared to verizon and nextel.

i have to pay a small fee if the use is not work related. if i was going to pay, the unlimited plans are the way to go. that way you can use and abuse the thing, without the phear of getting screwed in your bill. "anything worth doing, is worth doing right." -fear and loathing in las vegas ;)

Oh yea, I forgot to mention TMobile and Cingular! Was just thinking of the bigger BB players I suppose. I suppose the plan Doug was talking about is Blackberry Minutes and Mail. Unlimited data, but only 1000 anytime minutes, no N/W. Still, much cheaper than Cingular, $40 or $50 for just data, and others just as expensive.

A cheaper possibility would be using a cellphone and Bluetooth connection to get internet through the cell network onto the PDA. Major problems are data entry though (would have to carry a collapsable keyboard), and you are still carrying two devices :/ A clunky, but possibly acceptable solution

On an unrelated note.... Post 1111!

blackberrys are fucking elite!!!!!!

Mine's in the shop, and I don't really remember what model number it was.. 7110 I wanna say.. something like that

I'm not very fond of it, mostly for the reasons already mentioned.. it's a bitch to actually talk on, I've found a weird style of angleing it in my ear that makes it useable, but for the most part I can't hear people well and vice-versa. Mine is through work so it's always bugging me to do stuff, which might bias my oppinion of it.

The JVM completely puked on it, which isn't horribly supprising, it always gave me probs.

The first day I got it I was setting my voicemail password (Nextel) while I was sitting on the can. "Password too short..." "Password not 1337 enough..." The IVR lady was kinda bugging me so I just kept on spamming 0's as my password (I was kinda curious what the thing would do since she read back all the other bad passwords... ) Well anyhow the phone eventually got mad and spit out some JVM error. Every time I went back into the phone book it would crash.. I finally cleared the recent numbers and it was ok again for awhile.

Near the end here before I had it commited, it was really freaking out "Catastrophic Assertion Error", JVM error: XXX, etc etc.. then it just quit loading the GUI system and left me with this really strange and useless menu "Email, Phone, Options" phone nor e-mail worked, options were the usual options.

I think maybe the memory just got fscked, but I wasn't really impressed.

I haven't really found a good SSH client for it either.. the MIdpsh(something like that) free one is kinda weird for typing on (type the text locally then submit) which is ok I guess, just strange

well there is input mode with midpssh so your actually typing on the command line. the idokorro mobile ssh program is really good but its $95. im just gonna use the free trial for awhile.

Another alternative i think that are great are the Pocket PC's with integrated GSM/GRPS. It offers more power with the tools like ssh, email and thousands of other tools. iPAQ makes great ones, though a little pricey :)

I've been thinking about getting something like this, a PDA and Phone. My mom has a Treo, which runs the Palm OS, and I really don't like it. My sister has an older Palm also. I just can't find a happy place with Palm. I have an iPaq right now, just a PDA not a phone, and I'm really happy with it. I would like to get a Pocket PC phone.

I did look at the Blackberry's and they do look pretty nice. I would like to play with one first, but I would consider them.

i dont like the treos. people i know who had them both said they suck.