ZmasteR.AES

Electronic ID Cards

4 posts in this topic

yo, well over in spain, technology is something really new to these n00bs,,,,and they have decided to go and create digital id cards, which is all well and good,,,, the info stored on the cards, is the normal, social security number, name , address, BIOMETRICS,,,,,and all that other good stuff,,,,they come out feb 2006 and i will be picking mine up then,,,so im wondering if anyone knows much about "PKI Encryption" and cracking it. ive googled about it and looked around, not much good though

TIA

[ZmasteR]

PKI is really a type of encryption infrastructure (it IS the I in PKI after all), not an actual cipher or encryption type. PKI can be using any kind of algorithm so without knowing that, you're kind of up shit creek.

Bruce Schneier is one of the top security experts, and you should probably do some research on him. As far as PKI, it can be broken with the man in the middle attack and Schneier does describe this in one of his books, I cannot remember the name of it now. Using a national ID card is nothing more than having "papers" when you travel in the European countries like they did in the old days of the Nazi's and the like. Like everything else, someone somewhere will more than likely break this code or find a way to manipulate it somehow. On the whole, it will be up to people like us to raise awareness of the dangers like a national ID card could cause in the future. My sounds more political than anything and I do apologize, but with everything going on in the world today, it's hard not to sound political about these things. Check out NewsReal sometime with Sean Kennedy. I hope this does not hit the U.S. cause it will suck! Take care!

--covance

They've been using PKI in the U.S. military for about five years now... so, given the penchant for network and information security that Uncle Sam has, I'm led to believe that they can be pretty well safeguarded... it's all about keeping your info safe.

The main threat to PKI is NOT TO GIVE OUT/LOSE YOUR PRIVATE KEY (which should be stored on your ID card)! Therefore, be leary of where you swipe it, if you ever need to, and don't lose your wallet, as some tech-minded individual might pick it up and own you.