Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Exvitel

Sattelite Internet

16 posts in this topic

I recently moved to the country and I was forced to use dial-up. My mom says that when she gets my grades for the first semester, which isn't long since i'm on a block schedule :D , and i get A's and B's then she will get me sattelite internet, since we are with DISH Network.

Where I live, there won't be cable lines layed for another year and a half.

I have heard that sattelitte internet has crap-ass uploads, which means no servers, but the bandwidth isn't bad.

So what do you think/know?

I recently moved to the country and I was forced to use dial-up. My mom says that when  she gets my grades for the first semester, which isn't long since i'm on a block schedule :D , and i get A's and B's then she will get me sattelite internet, since we are with DISH Network.

Where I live, there won't be cable lines layed for another year and a half.

I have heard that sattelitte internet has crap-ass uploads, which means no servers, but the bandwidth isn't bad.

So what do you think/know?

A good friend of mine had no other choice for high speed and subscribed to satellite internet service. It was the biggest mistake of his life. After x amount of hours of use, the provider capped his bandwidth each month, and charged him for going over his bandwidth limit. This was a few years ago, things could have changed...

Dont waste your time or money. The outgoing request is still over dial up and the lag is HORRABLE. I wasted $1500 on an internet dish due to a liar at best buy, I cut the coax with tin snips pulled the dish out of the ground and took it back 5 days later, sat it on the service desk with dirt still on the post and told the manager "Your sales guy lied about the speed and if you dont give me my money back I am going to start yelling my fucking head off till you do." He looked at the manager and told him "Just give him his money"

Stick with dialup on a seperate line. I would stay connected 3 or 4 days at a time to get "stuff" back when I moved to the country, It takes a while but you get what you need.

Stacksmasher

The speed is suposed to be faster than cable with downloads.

What is the real speed of sattelite internet compared to cable?

Do you think that ISDN is possible out here. 128 kb/s right?

I recently moved to the country and I was forced to use dial-up.

Yea, I currently live in the country(moving soon), a place where I can only get Dial-UP and Satellite so we got the best satellite we could...

AND WE HATE IT. Download speeds are O.K. upload speed is horrable, and because of the latency satellite has you can't play games. I'd get it though so you can download large files, It would be a lot faster then Dial-Up.

K.H.O.

I have spent many a day "testing" DirecTV and Dishnet in various forms. My experience with both Internets feeds are the same. They have quick downloads, excpeth when it rains it is constantly affected by the weather and since i lived next door to logan airport the planes would constantly interfere. Anyways to the pont satelite internets is not reliable it is overly expensive incredibly restrictive i.e. bandwidth caps overage charges etc. Stay away from it at all means dial-up is a better choice. For the past year dial-up is my only access until tomorrow when I get my 10mb line AOL is by far the quickest in my experience. Before I get any guff for that I only said AOL was quick nothing else! :) :nono:

This is why the corporations don't want people to have open wireless access points, they want you unlucky fucks to pay huge amounts of money for sattelite internet when you could just build a whole network wireless network for the whole damn town. <_<

This is why the corporations don't want people to have open wireless access points, they want you unlucky fucks to pay huge amounts of money for sattelite internet when you could just build a whole network wireless network for the whole damn town.  <_<

Yup!

Also why not shotgun or use two modems at once? I think its possible.. It wouldnt make a big difference but when your on dial-up. The more bandwidth you can get the better.

This is why the corporations don't want people to have open wireless access points, they want you unlucky fucks to pay huge amounts of money for sattelite internet when you could just build a whole network wireless network for the whole damn town.  <_<

Yup!

Also why not shotgun or use two modems at once? I think its possible.. It wouldnt make a big difference but when your on dial-up. The more bandwidth you can get the better.

MPPP allows you to do this, or a *nix box with loadbalancing enabled (OpenBSD with PF). Still I've only heard horror stories about satalite interw3b, but you have to make the best of what's available.

One of my friends got a sat connection and he can't run any services or download anything but ftp/http. No joke.

then is i dont want to get sat then what should i get?

Take it from me DO NOT GET A DISH! I am still paying for my 2 year contract evan though I have long since got cable, the reason Im still paying is because I had no other option at the time, and couldn't pay for the dish upfront. My point, unless you are a war corrispondent in baghdad stay with dialup.

A lot of rural areas in my state, Iowa, you can usually get wireless from a provider in a nearby town. They'll set you up with a high powered directional antenna and all that stuff. I did that one summer when I was living with girlfriend who lived in a rural area. I was really impressed. I'd try looking into that in your area.

You guys are talking about the very old version of satellite internet. I had the type that you are all talking about. Direcway by Direct TV has a two-way satellite internet. But there is a catch. Since this version transmits to, as well as recieves from bird 23,000 miles in space the dish must be installed by one of their "trained professionals." This was not the case with the one-way version that required you to use a modem for your outbound traffic. If you live in the country, and only have dialup as your only other alternative for internet access then this might be for you. But as others have said it can be expensive. Satellite internet probably wouldn't be good for voip either, due to the latency that can be expected because of transmitting to and recieving from the satellite. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck.

Edited by Cessna

You guys are talking about the very old version of satellite internet. I had the type that you are all talking about. Direcway by Direct TV has a two-way satellite internet. But there is a catch. Since this version transmits to, as well as recieves from bird 23,000 miles in space the dish must be installed by one of their "trained professionals." This was not the case with the one-way version that required you to use a modem for your outbound traffic. If you live in the country, and only have dialup as your only other alternative for internet access then this might be for you. But as others have said it can be expensive. Satellite internet probably wouldn't be good for voip either, due to the latency that can be expected because of transmitting to and recieving from the satellite. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck.

When I saw information about most dual way satelites(sensibly cost) was a 1 way directional anntenna, and a ?microwave? transmitter to a nearby tall station at the top of a mountain, and then this would transmit to to the sky.

[edit]

I looked into direcway, and just to say, even though it doesnt need dialup, it actually worse then the ones that do, its upstream is only 50kbps (slower than the max of 56k). Added to the fact that it has an added high latency on the upstream/ack packets its just worse, only use if you dont have a phone line.

Edited by oneeyedelf1

Unless you are a rich sob or just like blowing money out your ass, dont get satelite internet...

I've gone on support calls for people when there comps arent working and it turns out to be direcway/sat providers fault and they have terrible support and are just whorrible in general.