djmollusk

Next HOPE confrence confirmed

33 posts in this topic

I was short on cash for the last hope. I'll make sure i'm there this time around.

The 5th HOPE was a great experience! I'm already counting down the days to the 6th. Even a year later, I can remember a heap of great moments from 5th HOPE:

Struggling to hold back laughter as the social engineering panel romped through corporate call centers from Manlia to Mumbai.

Basking in the playful brilliance of The Woz.

Laughing myself to tears the Yes Men and the Institute for Applied Autonomy reveal their exploits impersonating WTO officials at conferences and crashing the DARPA challenge robot race.

Getting a guided tour of an AS/400 system thanks to StankDawg. (Thanks!)

Trying to count the pretty Chinese girls gazing upon Bill Xia with fixed worshipful stares during his Great Firewall talk.

Soaking in the nostalgia watching Kraftwerk videos and typing on a classic VT connected to "russian thistle" in the terminal room.

Some hints for future conference goers:

I took AMTRAK trains to and from Penn station. This is probably the most expensive way to get to the conference, but it was very convenient because I arrived in NYC right across the street from the conference hotel. I'd do it again.

I brought enough ready-to-eat camping food to last the weekend, and a big water bottle. These supplies allowed me to see more talks because I didn't have to leave the conference to forage for food. It saved some money, too.

There is one thing I'd do differently: I had to leave before the closing ceremonies on the last day to catch my train. Next time, I'm going to try to avoid missing even a minute of the conference, even if it means paying for an extra night's stay in the hotel.

See you at the 6th HOPE!

Oh man, I want to go to HOPE. I asked my dad the other day and told him about it and he was just like "Its in New York, thats across the country. NO" Oh well you all will probably see me at the next defcon when I can drive to it and won't need a plane trip.

I work on West 30th and 7th. Hotel Penn is at 33rd and 7th. Sweeeeeet.

I can't wait.

Chances are, I'll make it to this one. Awesome.

I'm most likely going. It's not a long drive for me, and it's about time that I go to a conference.

Wish I could say I was a definite, But life seems to throw shit in my way everytime I plan something! 

amen to that. thats my fucking life too.

im going hopefully. i just heard the SE panel from like one of the hopes...the one with mitnick.

"what was your name again?"

"armand goldstein"

"im not seeing your email on the list"

"well it isnt very likely that you would"

classic :)