Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PsypherX

Hacker Death Penalty?!?!?!

24 posts in this topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/opinion/12tierney.html

Login required. User: chadwit Pass: 1insipid

Well, my figures estimate that 100% of this guy's statistics are bullshit, and all dumbass op-ed writers need to be put to death.

WHAT A FUCKING MORON OMFG I'M SO PISSED KTHXBYE. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

What an idiot. That guy should have been picked off the food chain years ago. It's kinda funny how along with giving a basic education, college allows idiots like that to not only make a living, but thrive in the business world.

Side note: my fathers adoptive father was CEO of Clairol in Stamford, CT. I never met knew him well, he was a scumbag who adopted children because in those days only family men got promoted. My father was kicked out and lived on the streets of Manhatten by 14 years old. I digress, the point was the only real memory I have of him is that we had to go to his house to replace a toggle light switch with a rheostat dimmer switch. Ran a company, but couldn't use a fucking screwdriver.

Back to the idiot at hand though. A well worded retort to the provided email address would go a long way to detering any similar articles in the future. No, "you sir, are an asshat" is not a good idea :)

Try to actually convince him his viewpoint is wrong and explain why.

Talking points

Hackers are wide ranging a group as any there are.

Virus writers are not hackers, spammers aren't either.

Jury nullification would undo any changes his "solution" would provide. I know if called on, I would never impose such a sentence for a non-violent crime. His second choice, "E. Something Worse" is just whimsical humor. Funny thing is though, they really aren't worse options than death. (Well ok, AOL tech support might be...

Lumping Virus writers and spammers and hackers into a couple of paragraphs is like disscussing art and mentioning Ansel Adams, Jimmys second grade crayon drawing, and bathroom stall poetry.

I don't have the energy to write a well-worded response to his fascist bullshit right now. Perhaps later tonight I'll pen my first article for the hacktivism site. :)

We should give the death penalty to incompetent computer users. After all, they're the ones who allow malware to propagate.

It sounds cruel and insane, doesn't it?

Reading this almost sounds like an old X-Men storyline. Just substitute the word "hacker" for the word "mutant."

So that leaves us with E: something worse than death. Something that would approximate the millions of hours of tedium that hackers have inflicted on society.

In both cases it sounds like he's referring to Microsoft Windows. 1) worse than death and 2) inflicting hours of tedium.

The experts weren't sure that any punishment could fit the crime, but they had several suggestions: Make the hacker spend 16 hours a day fielding help-desk inquiries in an AOL chat room for computer novices.

That'd actually be a great help to society. We could lead people away from AOL in droves!

This is another case of semantics. Hacker != computer criminal. Just yesterday a friend was having me fix his computer because he got "hacked again." He suffers from the hacker misnomer disease. Well I couldn't see any evidence of intrusion, but he did have a metric assload of spyware. After I cleaned it all out I ran f-prot off a Knoppix CD to check for any infection. He asked me what it was and I explained that Knoppix was a tool devised by a hacker to save the asses of people who should know better than to open attachments and download content from questionable websites indiscriminately. :P These people will never fucking learn.

PF

Great story there, pixelFiend, but I have one question:

Just how much is a metric assload?" :P

I'm getting sick and fucking tired of going to CNN Tech and seeing a new story almost daily where the term hacker is used inappropriately. %@$#%@!$#%!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I've always thought that it was kind of odd the way that hackers hate the term hacker being used in a negative light, yet they continue to adopt it as their title.

But yeah, this guy can suck the penis. then get the death penalty... by shoving a lemon up his eurethra and into his esophagus with goatheads on the outer shell.

He's totally right tho. Hackers who murder people through the internet for $500 billion dollars a year should forced to live in an airport with Tom Hanks.

i love their ideas of consiquences. Sitting on aol with a 2400 baud modem or running windows 95.

i love their ideas of consiquences. Sitting on aol with a 2400 baud modem or running windows 95.

I believe that was 2400 baud modem /and/ windows 95

:omfg: :omfg: :omfg:

sorry my mistake. But personally i hate xp is think its shit and they should reput dos into the os and make it like it used to be with the pretty gui as just that a gui and no the actual os.

I write a reply to the guy if anyone else has anything they'd like me to write about post it up i'll post the reply here... Instead of 50 million people emailing him stupid responses i have a decent one halfway started i'll ammend anyones handles if they would like as well

I don't know if your going to just through in quotes or paraphrase but here...

We do not exist to destroy, we exist because we don't want to be like you and the other sheep. You say yourself you are not a computer or networking expert but you write articles like this saying how bad we are. We exist because we want to know how and why to two big things people are affraid to let us know. Why? Becuase then we have power, we have the power to do better, we can write better code, make things run better and more efficient. People are scared of us becuase they have seen what this power can do if in the wrong hands. The amount of hackers that release these viruses is a small minority. And yes they should be punnished but this should also be a wakeup call. People have seen what can be done but refuse to do anything about it. They refuse to learn why and how this works and how to protect themselves, they don't want something good, they want something that will do the job and do the job fast. They choose to use windows but then choose not to secure it. Though this should not be an invitation for criminals to write malicous software that damages computer but they are setting themselves up. People say that linux is more secure and the truth is, it can be more secure for many reason. But if configured bad it can be just as insecure as a computer running windows. Linux is not the best operating system for every environment but in some cases i could be adopted. I'm not saying all industry should switch becuase that is just dumb, there is ported software that is not as good as the original but for many people they can do what they want with linux. The installations and usage has become so easy over the years that saying it is too hard to use it just ignorance from someone who has never tried it or refuses to spend a few extra minutes to figure out how to do something. Yes these criminals should be punnished but hacking will never stop. There will always be us who want to know more.

Edited by livinded

umm... next time you try to write an email to somebody to sound intelligent and defend us, I can grammar/spell check for you. NOT CORRECTING SPELLING MODS!

Just saying that in formal letters and such, spelling should be a top priority.

And use a real name. Even if it isn't your name. Handles suck.

Are you kidding me, djmollusk? Did you hear how scared he was of hackers? Using a real name would totally detract from the "omg a hacker read my thing where I said I said I said they should die omg". =D

Shit, he probably DOES think it's a real name and your parents are hippies.

Are you kidding me, djmollusk?  Did you hear how scared he was of hackers?  Using a real name would totally detract from the "omg a hacker read my thing where I said I said I said they should die omg". =D

Thats not what its about tho... he's trying to make hackers out to be people that need to hide and be evil... were not... I have no problem throwing my real name in the email im writing him. Right now its easy for him to seperate us from him because he doesn't see us as people but as criminals. He doesn't get that there are hackers all around us with real names and faces. Thats what he needs to hear. He isn't scared of hackers, he knows better than to be scared.

Shit, he probably DOES think it's a real name and your parents are hippies.

Hahahahaha. XD

Or if I'm indian. windwaker sounds indian, for some reason.

And, no, I think he really is afraid of hackers, because he doesn't understand hackers. Why else would he want us to die?

I totally agree with him.

Kill them all. those damn dirty hackers.

Oh wait ......................

:D

No the guys a noob he will get his ass totally owned now. plus what is the legalitys of writing such things ? i presume this was for the new York times ? god i hate the world i hate this corrupt structure so much makes me so fucking upset.

Oh my, that author is absolutely awesome! :lol:

Make the hacker spend 16 hours a day fielding help-desk inquiries in an AOL chat room for computer novices. Force him to do this with a user name at least as uncool as KoolDude and to work on a vintage IBM PC with a 2400-baud dial-up connection. Most painful of all for any geek, make him use Windows 95 for the rest of his life.

:wub:

Psypher, I really do think you're reading a little too much into it. He does not favour the death penalty, he just said that according to a few stats it would be more economically feasible. He then lists out the above quoted punishments, which he considers worse than death.

This article is meant to be humorous my man! :D

Edited by Seal

If you mean it's meant to be humorous, I'd say you're wrong. Having looked at his past articles, everything else is standard op-ed fare, nothing whatsoever akin to The Onion or BBSpot. It's not a parody, and it's not meant to entertain.

The guy's just misinformed about who hackers really are, and to go so far as to say the kind of stupid shit he does merits a response.

The real issue I'm so pissed at is not that he blames hackers. He doesn't even know who hackers are! He's blaming criminals under a different name, and when misinformed people like him write articles that have the propensity to garner as much publicity as The New York Times, that's what pisses me off.

People like him perpetuate the uphill battle that we, as hackers, have to face in trying to change the outlook and perception of society.

So, to Mt. Tierney and all the people who think like him,

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"

If you mean it's meant to be humorous, I'd say you're wrong.

So, to Mt. Tierney and all the people who think like him,

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"

Word, word, word.

And, that seriously was -not- meant to be funny.