Havoc

2-1-1 Launches in Los Angeles County

10 posts in this topic

http://www.211la.org/Content.asp?Content=N...ubContent=Press

Los Angeles, July 5, 2005 Ushering in a new era of better access to social services in Los Angeles County, the launching of the new dialing code 2-1-1 was announced today at a press conference at the County Hall of Administration.

2-1-1 is the phone number to find help in Los Angeles County. 2-1-1 is the new dialing code approved by the Federal Communications Commission to connect people with the health and social services they need. Like 9-1-1 for emergency calls, 2-1-1 can connect people to emergency food and shelter, support services for seniors and the disabled, childcare, employment assistance, child and adult protective services, and legal assistance.

hmmm WTF is emergency food ?

Operator, I need an emergency pizza delivery :P

Emergency food is for when you are broke like me and can only afford ramen noodles and pork and beans. :cry:

We got our 2-1-1 system here in Texas a couple years back.

http://www.211la.org/Content.asp?Content=N...ubContent=Press
Los Angeles, July 5, 2005 Ushering in a new era of better access to social services in Los Angeles County, the launching of the new dialing code 2-1-1 was announced today at a press conference at the County Hall of Administration.

2-1-1 is the phone number to find help in Los Angeles County. 2-1-1 is the new dialing code approved by the Federal Communications Commission to connect people with the health and social services they need. Like 9-1-1 for emergency calls, 2-1-1 can connect people to emergency food and shelter, support services for seniors and the disabled, childcare, employment assistance, child and adult protective services, and legal assistance.

hmmm WTF is emergency food ?

Operator, I need an emergency pizza delivery :P

New N11 codes are still in the process of being assigned in different parts of the U.S. One N11 code I was told about by Decoder was 3-1-1. I was surprised that he didn't know anything about the service except that it is for "Information". So I checked it out online and this is what I learned: New York has a center responsible for providing all kinds of information (especially governmental). So if you need New York information just dial 3-1-1 in New York, or from outside New York, call (212) NEW-YORK (212-639-9675), or the TTY Number is 212-504-4115. Here are some links:

http://www.911dispatch.com/information/new_york311.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/html/about/about_311.shtml

http://www.accenture.com/xd/xd.asp?it=enwe...%5Cgove_nyc.xml

If you dial 311 in Delaware, it reads your number back. I was told this by Cavalier Telephone customer service rep. I tried it out and it does work.

Edited by andyb404

311 also used to be one of the readback numbers in 780. Not any more, though...

Yes 311 is/was an ANAC is different areas. I find it interesting though that a Verizon representative would tell a customer about the code. I guess making an ANAC as a N11 code allows it to be public even to customers.

That's funny, Royal, because just yesterday, I was talking with a Verizon operator, and I asked her, "so what number am i calling from?" in casual conversation. She politely told me that she couldn't tell me, in case I had, say, broken into someone's house and was trying to find out their phone number. If the operators are trained to say that, and it's company policy, then I'm suprised you would use an X11 service to have an anac on. It seems to contradict itself.

It was actually a Cavalier Telephone rep that told me. Sorry I didn't know that I posted it as Verizon CS. She was very helpful. I tried getting more info out of her but she didn't know of any test numbers or any other cool numbers. She could have been playing dumb though. I got her info so I can all her anytime when she is at work. I simply asked her for her extension number and days/hours that she works. I can't believe she told me. Also, I was told that the 311 should work in some of the other states as well. She gave me 211 and 811 as numbers for ANAC's as well. They don't work here in DE though.

HAHA this is great, Just recently about 1 month ago I went on a phonetrip 2700miles. Stopping at every single rest area between every town and did a series of test on each phone and recorded all the data.I found alot of crazy ass situations on each platform.But one thing is when I was in southwestern bell in OK I called 211 and the lady was all confused and told me that I was the first caller for the 211 shit and she wanted to record the convo between me and her.She explained the shit but didnt really make since,But I thought it was cool that I was their first caller! Fj00t