dashmista

Hacking books

35 posts in this topic

Hello - I don't want to buy a learn to hack book, I need to get one for free off the internet, because I'm short on cash. Anyways, I talked to a friend and he recommened trying to find The unofficial guide to ethical hacking by ankit fadia.

If anyone knows any other books and where to get them, post here!

This is the sort of thing that IS illegal to do. They are trying to set up international copyrights AS WE SPEAK.

*cough* Projectguteburg.org. *cough*

Its illeagal in the USA if its not public domain i think, but it appears tthat they buy book licenses anyway...not too clear on how that works.

IF anyone does, please tell me.

Not to be a smart aleck or anything, but you should give your local library a try. While they may not have any hacking books on their shelves, I have always found that libraries can get a surprising number of books through interlibrary loan programs. Libraries are sweet!

Yeah, my library has a shitload of electronics and programming books. I got Kevin Mitnicks Art Of Intrusion from my library. They got some cool shit about bill gates too.

Yeah, my library has a shitload of electronics and programming books. I got Kevin Mitnicks Art Of Intrusion from my library. They got some cool shit about bill gates too.
:voteyes:

I've seen Art of Deception, Hacking Exposed, a couple books on IDS and Firewalls, as well as networking, security and tons of programming books. I prefer reading an actual book, instead of reading everything online, so the library is my best friend.

Maximum Security:

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/hacker/

Edited by stderr

Yea - heres the thing, I dont want to goto the library and be seen checking out HACKING books... So I need something private and online. (Not that I plan on doing anything illegal, but you know how it would look to other people if you were reading a hacking book.

Dude, you should worry less about reading books. Although library records can be obtained now by feds, so what. I plan on reading whatever i want to, and you should to. Don't cower your rights away, excersise them.

Ankit Fadia's books suck, don't bother with them. That is, unless you want a general overview without detail of such stirring topics as mailbombing and a handy glossary of terms.

Here's a little inspiration/salt in the wound (as surfers say "shoulda been here yesterday")

http://nerd-star.com/books/

Try this.

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12248

If you're interested in finding anything free on the internet one of the most obvious, but it seems to be the most overlooked as well, is p2p. Although they're famously known for music and videos, you'd be surprised at what documents you could find. I was able to download Charle's Dickens "Great Expectations", I found the book so good that I went out and bought a copy, and then bought the complete works of Dickens. Exhaust all options and eventually you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Yea - heres the thing, I dont want to goto the library and be seen checking out HACKING books... So I need something private and online. (Not that I plan on doing anything illegal, but you know how it would look to other people if you were reading a hacking book.

Wow, you seriously think your doing some thing illegal or bad by reading a so called "HACKING" book. If your going to consider your self a "HACKER" you should be able to go out and read hacking books in public and be able to do what you want. Ok maybe not because some of us are not as social or like thinking were some insane genius locked up in a room typing away at a system. But ya give your library a try, seriously if the libarian even asks you a question as to WHY you are reading such books, look at the nosey son of a bitch straight in the eye and tell him or her because YOU CAN! Simple as that.. I get this all the time when I go out and buy a 2600 magazine or any book that is labeled HACKING on the front of it. The damn book store clerks always ask me so your one of those hacker people? Or so what are you trying to learn how to hack? Just stupid shit like that. Its very irratating but dont be a shamed to tell some one to fuck off or mind their own buisness when the timing is right. :mumble:

I like reading stuff in print way more than online even if it costs me time and money. Computer screens hurt the eyes and I end up not reading stuff through just cause my eyes can't take it anymore. Just today in fact I could have read the new "hack this zine" online but I printed off a large amount of pages from the pdf just cause it makes it easier to read.

edit:

dude i go to the store or library and get hacking books all the time. You'd be amazed how little people really care. The only reaction I've seen is people coming asking me to teach them to hack. Besides I like the feeling of being a thug :D

Edited by Dr. Z2A

** NERD-STAR EBOOK LIBRARY IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE ***

If you would like to be notified of the library's status as it

changes, please send an email to ecoli@nerd-star.com with the

subject line "EBOOK ARCHIVE".  Your address will not be given to

any spam/third-party and will only be used to notify you of any

future updates to the site.  Also, status updates are posted on

http://nerd-star.com on a slightly less frequent basis.

-----Original Message-----

From: O'Reilly Media Legal Department [mailto:legaldept@oreilly.com]

Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:03 PM

To: ecoli@nerd-star.com

Subject: Cease and Desist from O'Reilly

Dear Sir or Madam,

It has come to our attention that your site www.nerd-star.com/books/ is

offering books of O'Reilly Media, Inc.

(formerly O'Reilly & Associates) for display and/or sale.

This is to notify you that the copyrights to the books published by

O'Reilly are owned by O'Reilly.  Any copying and distribution without an

express license is a violation of those copyrights.

Accordingly, we hereby demand that you remove all O'Reilly books from your

website, and cease and desist from further copying, sales or distribution

of O'Reilly's work.

Kindly confirm your compliance with this demand by reply email.

Sincerely,

Legal Department

O'Reilly Media, Inc.

1005 Gravenstein Highway North

Sebastopol, CA  95472

it shucks

Edited by Merk

Ok, thanks - I'll continue searching p2p and google, and maybe goto the library and read a physical book.

go sit in barnes and noble and read, no one cares waht you're reading. after all, people are there to sit and read and be left alone, not snoop on other people or shoulder surf.

Yeah p2p is quite a good source for ebooks. I havent been able to find many myself. But textfiles.com should be a good source aswell....Oh and your local library wont hurt a bit darlin. ;)

This is the sort of thing that IS illegal to do.  They are trying to set up international copyrights AS WE SPEAK.

*cough* Projectguteburg.org. *cough* 

Its illeagal in the USA if its not public domain i think, but it appears tthat they buy book licenses anyway...not too clear on how that works.

IF anyone does, please tell me.

Project Gutenburg doesn't add a book till its copyright has expired. They don't purchase licenses as far as I know.

Wow, you seriously think your doing some thing illegal or bad by reading a so called "HACKING" book. If your going to consider your self a "HACKER" you should be able to go out and read hacking books in public and be able to do what you want. Ok maybe not because some of us are not as social or like thinking were some insane genius locked up in a room typing away at a system. But ya give your library a try, seriously if the libarian even asks you a question as to WHY you are reading such books, look at the nosey son of a bitch straight in the eye and tell him or her because YOU CAN! Simple as that.. I get this all the time when I go out and buy a 2600 magazine or any book that is labeled HACKING on the front of it. The damn book store clerks always ask me so your one of those hacker people? Or so what are you trying to learn how to hack? Just stupid shit like that. Its very irratating but dont be a shamed to tell some one to fuck off or mind their own buisness when the timing is right. :mumble:

Awesome reply. I totally concur. I get most of my books from Borders and I couldn't care less what they think about the books I buy. It's not like they know you or anything.

Yes, so if you borrow the current "Broken Prey" or any of the Sandford novels you're obviously a serial murderer, right?

But ya give your library a try, seriously if the libarian even asks you a question as to WHY you are reading such books, look at the nosey son of a bitch straight in the eye and tell him or her because YOU CAN! Simple as that.. I get this all the time when I go out and buy a 2600 magazine or any book that is labeled HACKING on the front of it. The damn book store clerks always ask me so your one of those hacker people? Or so what are you trying to learn how to hack? Just stupid shit like that. Its very irratating but dont be a shamed to tell some one to fuck off or mind their own buisness when the timing is right. :mumble:

I actually had someone ask me something similar once (I don't exactly fit the stereotype). I just said, with tongue half in cheek, "hmmm... even I don't know who will be my next victim." and left the guy to decide how serious I was.

PF

Try:

intitle:index.of "parent directory" ebook* hacking

or/

intitle:index.of "parent directory" ebook* (title here).

or/

hxxp://cris.siteburg.com/books.php [you'll have to register here and upload a book to stay.Search for anything.Most of the hacking books will be on rapidshare].

Edited by sull

Dumpster Diving, Not necessarily for hacker books, but books in general. Just think of places that would throw out books (Throwing a way books, just seems wrong). Just a suggestion second hand book stores usually have computer books, if they don't throw them out they are cheap as they come anyways.

Suggestion do it at night, I had some freinds do it during the evening, and the employees caught them, and told them to get the hell out of there. :lol: