StankDawg

NEW RULE about spelling

25 posts in this topic

We have implemented a new rule on the forums. Due to problems on both sides of the coin, I just added this to the official rules list for everyone. It is pretty self-explanatory.

7)  Spelling Nazis or spelling impaired need not apply!  Make every attempt to post properly worded and grammatically correct posts on your own!  Our moderating team reserves the right to correct spelling in posts as they deem necessary but there will be NO POSTS complaining, insulting, or threatening anyone due to their grammar.  Focus on content and post in an intelligent manner.  Posts threatening spelling will be met with a warning. This does not let you off the hook as a poster!  People who post consistently with no regards to grammar/spelling will also be warned as determined by our moderators.  No one will take you seriously if you do not post in coherent sentences anyway.

I have explained to the moderators that it must be a group decision on who "consistently posts bad spelling" enough to warrant a warning. WE WILL NOT BE HANDING OUT WARNINGS FOR EVERY TYPO! So do not worry about that. And please do not be afraid to post, if you have been in the past. I will be adding new moderators to help handle the new workload over time.

I think we all know that there are people here who repeatedly post without even caring about the coherency of their post. This rule is mostly for them and to protect the regular user who makes the occasional typo in a post (like myself) from being publicly reprimanded and embarrassed.

Please do your best to make this easy on our moderators by doing your part and scanning back over your posts before you click submit.

If you make a reply about something and as a side note you mention their spelling mistake is that cool? What the hell is Strom going to do now that he can't threaten people over spelling? I don't understand!

If you make a reply about something and as a side note you mention their spelling mistake is that cool? What the hell is Strom going to do now that he can't threaten people over spelling? I don't understand!

that will be handled on a case by case basis... Don't be a dick about it and there won't be any problems.

I will be adding new moderators to help handle the new workload over time.

OOO OOO can I be a mod? /me waits for "NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS" answer. :P

Oh and this is a terrible, terrible day in the life of Strom Carlson, the day that he may no longer post merely to nazi spelling.

Oh wow I just found out I do not own a dictionary. Now I am being tormented wondering if I spelled 'merely' right.

Edited by Dr. Z2A

Oh and this is a terrible, terrible day in the life of Strom Carlson, the day that he may no longer post merely to nazi spelling.

Oh wow I just found out I do not own a dictionary. Now I am being tormented wondering if I spelled 'merely' right.

dictionary.com is always around. I am also looking into modifying the forum to add spell checking.

dictionary.com is always around. I am also looking into modifying the forum to add spell checking.

Hey dictionary.com, why didn't I think of that... And YAY! I spelled 'merely' right.

And yeah, that would be awesome if the forum had spell checking

Yeah since recent rants on this I’ve been copying and pasting my whole post into Word to spell check it then copy/pasting it back. I think this is a great idea, seeing as I was a victim a few times well alright all the time :P and I was victimized a few times.

Also, the spell check on the forums would be awesome!!! Great idea Stank!!! If you need mods, definitely let me know.

When I saw this I almost had an overpowering urge to type "wel gud, noww w3 can allres t in peice aboot are speling benig korektly and noone will be a ass when aye messssspell." But that would be childish of me. That, and I would not want to be warned.

Whenever I use my Konqueror to make a post misspelled words show up in red. I just always assumed everyone got that, no? If not, perhabs that would be something a lot easier to make, and when you do a "preview post" a drop down menu with suggested words could be presented. If it hasn't been done before I'm down for trying to write the program for it.

-Dr^ZigMan

StankDawg, this is a really good solution to a difficult issue. On one hand poorly written threads are hard to read and even harder to reply to, but on the other hand spelling nazis distract from the real issue at hand. I'm glad you did something about it.

YAY!! i know some people don't speak english as a native tongue, are british, or are just incompetent but with FREE dictionaries all over the place, why can't people use and reference them?

sounding coherent and somewhat intelligent isn't /hard/ to do.

Also, the spell check on the forums would be awesome!!! Great idea Stank!!!

Actually, thank PsypherX for finding a good module for spell checking. It may take me some time to get around to implementing it though...hopefully over the weekend.

"who "consistently posts bad spelling" enough to warrant a warning. "

"No one will take you seriously if you do not post in coherent sentences anyway."

Just to stir the pot a bit; if no one's going to bother taking a poorly written post seriously, why even bother introducing a rule about spelling? It sounds like an official excuse for the mods to curb troublemakers. I didn't expect to see that sort of thing around here.

Giving out warnings about spelling reminds me of jaywalking, it's annoying if you get ticketed because a cop's bored, but it's useful when someone's endangering others.

Also, the spell check on the forums would be awesome!!! Great idea Stank!!!

Actually, thank PsypherX for finding a good module for spell checking. It may take me some time to get around to implementing it though...hopefully over the weekend.

No I meant good idea on the whole enforcement with spelling ^_^ Unless that was psypherx to then Thanks psypherx! Ether way Thanks both of you

"who "consistently posts bad spelling" enough to warrant a warning. "

"No one will take you seriously if you do not post in coherent sentences anyway."

Just to stir the pot a bit; if no one's going to bother taking a poorly written post seriously, why even bother introducing a rule about spelling? It sounds like an official excuse for the mods to curb troublemakers. I didn't expect to see that sort of thing around here.

Giving out warnings about spelling reminds me of jaywalking, it's annoying if you get ticketed because a cop's bored, but it's useful when someone's endangering others.

There's no reason to stir the pot; it's really not that big of an issue. This isn't going to turn into a witch-hunt, and you really aren't going to see much of a change, except for an absence of "You spelled this wrong, NOOB!" posts. Honestly, none of the posts on this board are THAT illegible or incoherent; even the ones in the Drunkard Posts area (which is, ironically, misspelled :lol: ). Some may take longer to digest than others, but the meaning's still there.

That being said, this isn't fucking English class, so don't worry about getting penalized if you fuck something up. This is a place for hacking, phreaking and, in general, learning! So let's have fun and not sweat the small stuff. :)

I don't like the idea of having a spellchecker.

The ones that I've seen are annoyingly obtrusive, and they just bug me.

Also, I hope playa-hatas isn't off limits to this.

I don't like the idea of having a spellchecker.

The ones that I've seen are annoyingly obtrusive, and they just bug me.

Also, I hope playa-hatas isn't off limits to this.

The spellchecker won't be a requirement, but it will be there for those who choose to use it. And from what I can tell, it fits in VERY well with the board and won't be a nuisance.

Kick ass! I cant wait for that spelling checker! Hopefully now I wont be known as the illiterate one on the forums! To bad I already have a warning for my bad grammar and uneligible threads and posts. :(

Spellcheck.net will check up to 25,000 characters at a time for you. (That is a VERY long post).

This is just like making a member rating system, anti-points, etc. etc.

The forum becomes too uptight and unfriendly to newcomers. This is what happened to antionline. This is what is happening to blackcode. This is what will happen to binrev.

Poor Strom

*sigh*

I feel for ya man... :P

If I didn't make it clear, I don't like the new rule.

for prosperity's sake, can we say that English is acceptable but American is not?

muhahahhahaa.

And please no nagging about english vs american spellings such as colour vs color.

This prevents public comments (although you may receive "advice" in the form of a PM) that embarrass people but at the same time increasing the coherency of posts. Which one of these things is bad?

I guess you just have to trust us not to abuse it. If we haven't earned that respect then I guess people may leave over this rule. This is unfortunate, but fine.

I hate the negativity that has been here lately with all of the attacks on people for small things. Stop making drama where there is no drama. The reason for the rule is to end the drama and you drama queens overreact to everything.

I quit...i Just fucking quit.