trem

Using netcat as an IRC client

8 posts in this topic

I'm really not a fan of any IRC clients and thought maybe I could use netcat as one...

probably be easier to use telnet as a client.

while you absoutely could use telnet as a client, why on earth would you want to? If you havn't found a client that you like I say either keep looking, or write a few scripts to modify one that's out there now more to your liking. But watching raw IRC over telnet? I wouldn't be able to keep anything stright.

-Dr^ZigMan

while you absoutely could use telnet as a client, why on earth would you want to? If you havn't found a client that you like I say either keep looking, or write a few scripts to modify one that's out there now more to your liking. But watching raw IRC over telnet? I wouldn't be able to keep anything stright.

-Dr^ZigMan

i was thinking the same thing bout using netcat as a client while i was replying. that's just sadism.

-Dr^ZigMan

i was thinking the same thing bout using netcat as a client while i was replying. that's just sadism.

You'd want to do it so that you can feel 1337 :D (or at least thats why I do it occasionally)

Heres an oreilly article about doing irc over telnet. Hope it helps

Thanks for the link. I guess that article also applies to netcat because I got it to work.

Thanks for the link. I guess that article also applies to netcat because I got it to work.

Netcat essentially is telnet. Telnet is just what you call the type of client.

Telnet is the protocol, not the client. Hence the name "telnet client," and netcat is somewhat just a telnet client on steroids.

Edited by nazareth2