unity

My wonderfly little storie about the Millennium.

43 posts in this topic

I've never had the pleasure of using one of those Millenium desk sets. =/

I haven't encountered them very often either except for at the VIP lounge in the Airport and at some random truck stop along the Hwy between Ottawa and Toronto.

I think I'll take a picture of it next time I meet up with one.

Either way.. I've had lots of fun with the standard Milleniums before. I've actually made one ring (with a little bit of coaxing and SEing an operator). Iit's interesting cause of the fake dialtone, and the whole setup. I always wondered if the incoming calls were blocked by the phone or the at the exchange and a few experiments proved that it's at the exchange.

Edited by theurgy

Damn! I just was going to try some tricks on the only Millenium in town (which happens to be about a block from my office in the gas station), but when I arrived, it was GONE! That's the first payfone in town to get pulled!

Sure hope it's not a sign of things to come in my little payfone-dependant hicktown. Or, actually, hell - let 'em take out all the payfones... then I can put my COCOTs to better use ;)

I haven't encountered them very often either except for at the VIP lounge in the Airport and at some random truck stop along the Hwy between Ottawa and Toronto.

I think I'll take a picture of it next time I meet up with one.

Either way.. I've had lots of fun with the standard Milleniums before. I've actually made one ring (with a little bit of coaxing and SEing an operator). Iit's interesting cause of the fake dialtone, and the whole setup. I always wondered if the incoming calls were blocked by the phone or the at the exchange and a few experiments proved that it's at the exchange.

Well if you do find a millenium phone up in 320 land do tell me. My sister lives in that area code and next time we visit her I want to see if that little trick works.

Well if you do find a millenium phone up in 320 land do tell me. My sister lives in that area code and next time we visit her I want to see if that little trick works.

The nearest ones to me now are in Cambridge (Mickey D's has one in their northeast entrance, and I think there is/was one at Wally World as well). They're plentiful down in the Cities (but that's not teh 320), and I would assume there to be some around St. Cloud, but I'm never out that way.

I'll let you know. It's been waaay too long since I played with one, and now I'm on a mission :)

Dear everyone,

Millennium has two "n"s in it.

Love,

Strom.

You take issue with the fact that people are spelling millennium wrong yet you say nothing about how Unity spelt both story and wonderfully wrong (he also used the wrong form of the word) in his title.

No offense to unity or Strom but if you're going to be a grammer freak you might as well do it right. :P

Oh pssh. I spelled it that way because I wanted to. I'm not asking for corrections. I don't remember asking to be corrected. If you want to correct me, do it in PM. Now shut the fuck up about my spelling. kthx.

Oh pssh. I spelled it that way because I wanted to. I'm not asking for corrections. I don't remember asking to be corrected. If you want to correct me, do it in PM. Now shut the fuck up about my spelling. kthx.

You spelled "okay, thanks." wrong.

:P

Man, I'm in Canada, and seriously I've never had to pay for a call when I was talking to an operator. They just dial it for me. Never long distance numbers, but anything roughly local, they always make it. I've only had one bitch that wouldnt do it, and she just said that the phone wasnt broken, and made my call collect. Usually ill just tell them some of the buttons are stuck.. That is the rare time they ever ask.. haha. Yeah, its all Millennium, around where I live, I rarley see any others. And there all with Aliant, here in canada anyways. And none of them execpect incoming calls, which upsets me..

The nearest ones to me now are in Cambridge (Mickey D's has one in their northeast entrance, and I think there is/was one at Wally World as well). They're plentiful down in the Cities (but that's not teh 320), and I would assume there to be some around St. Cloud, but I'm never out that way.

I'll let you know. It's been waaay too long since I played with one, and now I'm on a mission :)

Yeah I'm in the Twin Cities area. You know I recall seeing them somewhere. It may have been some retail store like Target.

That's funny, this post is like superthreaddigger, but people are still replying. phj33r.

anyways, yeah, ops never make calls for people calling from payphones in my area. *shrug*

When buying my copy of 2600 at the B&N in Har Mar (Roseville), I came across one. It was back by the restrooms, and is fully adorned with Qwest markings. I didn't have time to play with it much, and it doesn't take incoming calls, either :(

That fone is 651-631-9812, if anybody's interested. It acted a bit COCOT-ish when I dialed out on it (called Strom's 877-tada-lol ANAC and heard it dial the number after I finished entering. Shoulda taken note of the II digits!) But that's far from the only one in the metro (duh).

I would assume that dialing 0 would get you a recorded NIS message, since that's what most Qwest copper loops I've played with in that area do. But here up north we still have live TSPS ops at our beck and call :)

Still searching...

EDIT: my hundredth post. w00t.

Edited by nwbell

That fone is 651-631-9812, if anybody's interested. It acted a bit COCOT-ish when I dialed out on it (called Strom's 877-tada-lol ANAC and heard it dial the number after I finished entering. Shoulda taken note of the II digits!) But that's far from the only one in the metro (duh).

My records show Type 70, as it should be.

I've had the same experience here in Manitoba with an old Centurion. It was a cold and windy day in Winnipeg (surprising, I know) and I had to make a call. I spotted a payphone halfway down a side street and made my way over. I was cold and in a hurry and had no intention of any funny stuff, so I went to dial the number and half the digits just made weak "beeeaa...p" noises. Luckily 0 still worked so I asked the op to dial the number because the number pad was not quite right. She asked how I was paying and I told her I was using a quarter (yes, local calls are 25 cents). I put in the quarter, heard the sweet, sweet tone and, since this is Manitoba, she cheerfully put my call through. After my call was finished I hung up and started to walk away when I heard a phreak's favourite sound: the quarter dropping into the coin return. I quickly turned, grabbed the money then continued on my merry way.

Unfotunately, I'm a lazy bastard and haven't bothered to properly test whether this was just a symptom of an already ailing payphone or if it works in other cases. Now I think I may just have to try.

m3metix

She asked me how I was billing it, and I said that I was going to put in thirty-five cents. So, I put my money in, and she put the call through.

Local calls are 35c from coin phones in Canada? Sweet. They are 50c in FSH (Qwest) Territory.

In NYC specifically, the Verizon hybrids are programmed to prompt you for 25 cents for 4 minutes on a local call, then routes the call a different way other than ACTS. However, when I used my hybrid-bypassing tricks before I dialed the number, it was then necessary to deposit 50 cents for unlimited time on the local call, much like anywhere else in Verizon territory.