Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
.The_Box.

Verizon...

4 posts in this topic

I was just sitting here on my laptop, after getting a new Wi-Fi card and installing it, when I had somewhat of a brainstorm.

Recently (here in Florida anyways) Verizon has gone on a relentless ad campaign promoting they're new, faster DSL connection, as well as the new FiOS capabilities. On top of that, they have done countles AM and some FM radio advertisements for what they describe as "the future of TV" and "the alternative to 'high priced' cable and satellite".

Now first off, I need to clairfy a bit on the ad's bieng run for the FiOS and improved DSL connections. The claim "If you act now, new users will recieve a free wireless router (a-la-LinkSys smile.gif ) to connect their entire household to the internet." Now normally this would'nt pull my attention at all, but somehow it did this time.

If you all would think back to the time when (as some of us would kindly refer to as the dark ages of the internet) dial-up and AOL ruled the inernet world, you would notice somewhat of a trend. Now that the cost of technology for residential boradband connections is going down, the trend seems to be aiming more toward the release of massive Wi-Fi networks (think McDonalds, Starbucks, even Chick-fil-a now has pay per use Wi-Fi, as I found out earlier today, doing a little ghetto style wardriving) in both commercial, and perhaps even residential areas.

My second motion is towards the release of the new (im taking a wild stab here, as I hav'nt really had time to google this yet) broadband(?) TV service. This would only be an educated guess, but seeing the trend in Verizon's "broadband this, broadband that" fiasco as of late, I would venture to guess that this new TV serivice is, as well, run via broadband internet connection. Feel free to google this subject and start a new thread if you like. I would like more discussion on this topic.

Anyways, my main thought is...

With Verizon's new barrage of home Wi-Fi networks, do any of you find the plausability of them (secretly to a degree, at least not saying this completely to the consumer public) trying to round up as many open Wi-Fi connections in homes as they possibly can? Thinking that they for some reason are not allowed, or it just wouldnt be a good move on their part, to just stick one big Wi-Fi hotspot over all the land/houses/businesses in one sized area, maybe they are doing this to create one massive hotspot in particular areas (save of corse for the residents that decide to get another service, or the ones smart enough to enable security on the home networks they already have in place)?

Mind you, with that statement I do imply that the common household computer user is NOT wise enough to enable the network security on his/her Wi-Fi connection. For instance, as I sit here typing this, I am downstairs, in the second dining room of my house, towards the garage, using an unsecured connection my neighbor has for his house, whilst also picking up another signal from another household a few doors away.

Perhaps Verizon does have some whacko secret plan of making as large of a residential hotspot as they possibly can. Then once it seems large enough, springing some kind of fee or something else in order to (in always true Verizon style) make some more green off of the common, less computer savvy individuals.

Im interested on what the rest of you think on this topic, as well as the Verizon broadband TV topic. Please feel free to leave your thoughts. HOWEVER: SERIOUS COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS ONLY PLEASE!!!

-Box

I believe alot of what you just covered falls under theft of service. For example, if I have road runner and so does my neighbor and I use his wifi without permission I just commited a crime.

Alright, im in SBC terittory and they are in the process of installing Phiber Optik lines in bit cities. They do plan on providing internet access of course with these newly installed fiber lines, but they also plan on providing IPTV. Im geussing its the same thing Verizon is doing. SBC is already offering WiFi connections every where I go. I can go to Barnes N Nobles and use a SBC DSL or Dial Up Account/Password to get WiFi Internet access.

So ya I think the bigger picture is that pretty soon there will be such any epidemic with WiFi access and band width banditos that some thing is going to have to be done about it. I can stroll around any local neighboor hood of mine and find 20 unprotected WiFi access points, and thats average.

IDEA!: If WiFi every becomes so freely available where your grand mother who lives out in the boon docks can get a decent signal. It would be interesting to see how a virus would spread through a huge wireless network ( I bet it would like a army of ants crawling out of a ant hole spreading in all directions ) But any ways ya my ideas are usually to far fetched and stupid. <_<

IDEA!: If WiFi every becomes so freely available where your grand mother who lives out in the boon docks can get a decent signal. It would be interesting to see how a virus would spread through a huge wireless network ( I bet it would like a army of ants crawling out of a ant hole spreading in all directions ) But any ways ya my ideas are usually to far fetched and stupid.  <_<

Well if wifi becomes that big then I will be sure to write that virus just for you :D