Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andyb404

late 20's should I go to college?

22 posts in this topic

I have been stuck working dead end retail jobs since barely graduating from high school. I am getting tired of living at home working these dead end jobs. Being in my late 20's, should I suck it up and go to college? The only college that will accept someone with my education record(goofed off too much in school. regret it now) is a community college. The 1 degree that sticks out that I would like to get is Computer Networking Engineer. The classes I have to take look hard but I am willing to give it my all to get out of the rat race. Should I go for it or get some basic certs and try to get my foot in the door and work from there? Thanks for any advice.

I am in my mid twenties and i am in a tech school to get an AA degree in Network Adminatration. I have been told many times that there is no work in this field, but i want to goto school to learn more than i can just by myself.

IMO... who cares if other people think you shouldn't. Do you want to go? if yes.. go hard!

That is true. I shouldn't care what people think. I want to know if it is easier to get a couple of certs and get my foot in the door or go to college and get a degree? If I go to college, I still need a dead end job to pay for it.

You're never too old to learn..but if you're looking for a job, get certifications. Don't go to college to get a job; go there to learn.

As long as you dont go to ITT. Trust me it'll be the worst mistake of your life. I'm 19 and almost done with my first year at ITT and still have yet to learn anything. Plus the prices are rediculous! So if you can find a deceant technical school in your area then i say go for it. It'll be good for you. Not only that but you can say i go to college and just knowing that will make you feel better about yourself. It looks good on your resume, and IMO i think job recruiters would rather you have certs and education. Where as a few years ago kids could drop out of highschool get certs and be set. Where as now there is a down economy so the more you know and have exsperience the better you'll be.

So i think not only should you go to college but also get certs.

If the hardest classes are "UNIX Operating System Fundamentals" and "Cisco Routers II" your degree will probably not be worth much. Ask people who have been through the program what kind of jobs were available to them. I am working toward a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science right now. This degree is required for almost every job I am interested in (telecom/datacom/etc).

Well I am looking for a job but also want to learn. Thats why I am in these froums in the first place. The state that I am in has no tech schools around. The nearest ones are in another state about 3 to 5 hours away. So my only choice would be to go to the community college. I am a poor sap of a person and its hard living with the fact I made HUGE mistakes in life and am now paying for it. I live at home with my mom, have no money, mom pays my bills, etc. I really want to stop the endless cycle of getting a dead end job, working like 20 hrs, then getting let go cause my inquisitive mind likes to know how to do things and try to improve them gets a manager who does a poor job made to look like a fool by me. This pdf file is the course outline for network engineer. Again I am still going to have to find a dead end job first to save up money and pay my loving mother back for all that she has done for me. Also to get into college. Thanks for all the posts so far. It makes me feel like I'm liked.

ComputerNetworkEngineering.pdf

Well if you go to community college, make sure you do really good. Get 3.5 or higher GPA and after your first 2 years try to get into a bigger university. Like i know allot of colleges and especially universities do not accept ITT's credits but one does. Only problem is, is that its a pretty hard college to get into and you have to have a pretty high GPA for them to even consider accepting you into there University. So im struggling with getting good grades at ITT right now and im going to start working on fixing that right now. As well as i just got my foot in the door by getting a job at CircuitCity being the computer tech. So when looking at community colleges keep in mind you want your credits to be able to transfer, and you want to keep in mind to get great grades (not good, GREAT!) so you have a better chance of getting into a university. Just like you said dont make the same mistake in highschool in college. I barley graduated highschool and now it looks like im doing the same thing in college so i'm working on getting my priorities straight and doing better.

There was an excellent episode of Binary Revolution Radio that covered somewhat in-depth the pros and cons of getting a degree versus certifications (MSCE, CCNA, MCDBA, etc). I can't remember it offhand, and I just crawled through the archives trying to find some sort of reference to it with no luck. Hopefully you're listening to some of the old episodes, and you'll find it soon enough then.

Basically, a college education will always be worth it. Certifications can help, yes, but to rely on them isn't going to pay off nearly as well as having a degree.

I made the mistake of paying an outrageous amount of money to take one of those 6-month certification prep courses, and so far I'm still just an MCP. I have one more test to take to get my MCSA, and three more after that to pick up my MCSE. One of the main reasons I took that course was because I was leaving the military in less than a year and wanted to make myself marketable for a job I'd enjoy, involving computers and networks. Well, I can attribute the fact that I don't have all the certs advertised by the school yet (MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCDA) simply because I started to slack off a bit - and learning all that shit in that timeframe, in addition to serving was a bit much for me, especially when I had to work numerous 18-hour days.

Now, I'm looking forward to taking the rest of the certification exams when I have time to. The money's already gone, I have the bills to prove it, and I'm happy with where I work now. My company offers a very competitive tuition reimbursement program and I have the full benefit of the G.I. Bill at my disposal, so sometime early next year, or perhaps later this year, I'm going to continue my college education and pick up those certs along the way. But enough about me. :blush:

My advice to you would be to go to college, make your way through it by scheduling classes that won't interfere with your work schedule, and get yourself a degree! If you're feeling like you have a little extra time, go to www.bookpool.com (or comparable online retailer) and pick up some certification track textbooks and read them, supplementing them with online resources. In other words, don't waste money going to a certification course.

Also, do like XxthugstylezxX (thanks, copy and paste! :P ) and get a job that's related to what you're studying - it certainly can't hurt.

Best of luck to you!

Well I am listening to the old episodes but haven't run across that one yet. Well as soon as I can find a job around here to pay for my college, I'm going. I just want to get a job to make my life better and to work with stuff I like to work with too. Plus it would make me feel good to take care of my mom for a change since she has been supporting my whole lifew basically. I want to give her a break. Lord knows she needs it. I have to say that this is THE best place to be for anything. Everyone in the forums are so nice and actually care about teaching anyone who really wants to learn the right things to being a hacker. Every other place tries to teach you to be a script kiddie and flame you when ask questions like I have been. Thanks to all here in the forums and anyone related to BinRev. Most of all, thanks to Stank Dawg for leading the way for the real hackers and having an open mind to newbs like me. Thanks again all.

There was an excellent episode of Binary Revolution Radio that covered somewhat in-depth the pros and cons of getting a degree versus certifications (MSCE, CCNA, MCDBA, etc).  I can't remember it offhand, and I just crawled through the archives trying to find some sort of reference to it with no luck.  Hopefully you're listening to some of the old episodes, and you'll find it soon enough then.

Basically, a college education will always be worth it.  Certifications can help, yes, but to rely on them isn't going to pay off nearly as well as having a degree. 

My advice to you would be to go to college, make your way through it by scheduling classes that won't interfere with your work schedule, and get yourself a degree!  If you're feeling like you have a little extra time, go to www.bookpool.com (or comparable online retailer) and pick up some certification track textbooks and read them, supplementing them with online resources.  In other words, don't waste money going to a certification course. 

Also, do like XxthugstylezxX (thanks, copy and paste! :P ) and get a job that's related to what you're studying - it certainly can't hurt.

Best of luck to you!

Well I am listening to the old episodes but haven't run across that one yet. Well as soon as I can find a job around here to pay for my college, I'm going. I just want to get a job to make my life better and to work with stuff I like to work with too. Plus it would make me feel good to take care of my mom for a change since she has been supporting my whole lifew basically. I want to give her a break. Lord knows she needs it. I have to say that this is THE best place to be for anything. Everyone in the forums are so nice and actually care about teaching anyone who really wants to learn the right things to being a hacker. Every other place tries to teach you to be a script kiddie and flame you when ask questions like I have been. Thanks to all here in the forums and anyone related to BinRev. Most of all, thanks to Stank Dawg for leading the way for the real hackers and having an open mind to newbs like me. Thanks again all.

Yes, definitely try to find a job thats relating to what your going to college for. To get some hands on work experience. That will A.) look good on a resume and B.) keep you on track of learning more and gearing towards what you need to accomplish. It doesn’t even have to be a big job, i mean take my example i'm going to be a small time computer tech at circuit city. Its not a huge job or a big paying job but it got my foot in the door. So i say try to find a job at a local computer store, being a cashier, a sales person or what ever until you have more schooling under your belt. Then try to find a better job. As well as keeping in mind that if you have a degree and some certs you'll probably get the job over the average joe who has just a degree. Also im going to go up to my high school sometime this winter or next year and see if i can get a intern there as a network admin.

Make sure your reading and learning on your own, and try to learn ahead of the class. Find what a few of your courses are that are going to be further down the road and study for that class before you take the class. As in ITT if i did that and i thought i knew enough i could try to test out of the class and not have to pay for that class. So technically if i was smart i should have found out the whole 2 year set of course's for what im going there for and test out of each class and graduate in one day! But i wasn’t that smart. Learning on your own is a great help though, as it will help you have a better understanding of certain aspects and help you to know what your talking about more then if you just went to college and thats it. Well thats about all i got on this subject now.

Good luck on the rough road ahead and hope it turns out the best for you and your mother.

P.S. - Your very welcome, just be glad you came to the right place ^_^

Well I worked at Best Lie as Stank Dawg puts it. I got fired cause I wouldn't sell people things they didn't need and actually cared about customers. I always had a high return rate of customers asking for me and I was a low level employee! That has to say something about my character. lol. I tried to get a job at Border's but they said I wasn't picked for the register job out of large amounts of people that applied. Yeah right. Anyways, thanks for all the advice guys. I will take them to heart. I will try to contribute to the forums and binrev as much as I can. Hopefully I will run into some hackers in DE to help me along my path and maybe start up some meetings in DE.

its episode 15, right at the beginning. a little discouraging to me, but great info. i'm self-teaching for the A+ cert cause i figured the classes aren't worth the money. i'm not planning on going to college (late 20's too), but episode 15 has opened my eyes a little bit.

Go to C.C. and get a degree and if it goes well then go to a University and finish it off. You'll be glad you did.

GL

my problem with college is that you still have to pay to take so many shitty classes that you dont really want to take. im sooooo over taking english and math classes and other pointless classes that usually have nothing to do directly with a major. if i didnt have to do lame classes like that i would definately go and get an mbna or a computer science degree.

i kind of phj33r college now.

That's kinda how I feel too Natas. Even though, I still need to turn my life around and I'm the only one who can do it. Can't live with my mom all my life. Well, I could but wouldn't be much of a man if I did. lol. It will also help me on my way to become a real hacker and not a script kiddie.

Hah I have yet to go to college or graduated high school. But certification classes are not hyped up as them seem to be. Yea there great to take and show how much you know already and have a piece of paper, but to the employeer it doesnt mean shit. Ive tooken 2 years of cisco networking in high school and the class is lame as hell. There are a bunch of people that should not even be in the class because one they have no interested in networking or computers what so ever, second all they do is sit at a computer login and go to myspace.com , third because of the students who dont want to learn the teacher does not do all the hands on activities and procedures one should do in a normal cisco networking class. I mean why should I fall short of prosuing what ever I want to learn just because some lame ass students complains and tells his parents that his networking class is to hard and that they should call up the teacher and bitch about it. If your looking to get a job go get a degree! If you still want to get certified just because it adds that extra level of LOOK AT WHAT I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED then get the ones you want to.

Don't be like the 35 year olds at my community college. They are really kicking themselves trying to balance work/kids/etc AND school. Do it while you can live with mom and dad or at least don't have other bullshit to deal with.

Don't be like the 35 year olds at my community college. They are really kicking themselves trying to balance work/kids/etc AND school. Do it while you can live with mom and dad or at least don't have other bullshit to deal with.

Shit, do it fucking NOW. My certification course was hard enough, given the content and my schedule. Granted, I worked a little more than most, but still, having a full-time job and going to school (wherever it may be) SUCKS.

But, that sounds like what you may have to do. You could work in a full-time capacity at a local Circuit City or Best Buy as a tech or something similar, which would allow you to work on weekends and only three days during of the week, then take classes the other two. You'd have something to do every day of the week, but in my estimation, it'd be preferable to having to work five 12- to 14-hour days in a row.

Edited by PsypherX

Hah I have yet to go to college or graduated high school.

haha sub-sonix you crack me up. that sentence right there says it all. strom probably had a heart attack after reading your post. :)

My suggestion is to get at least some schooling. Hell, I just have my 2 year degree from a community college in 'Computer Repair Technology' :blink: I really think that 'on the job experience' is almost important , if not more important, than 4 years of schooling and all those paper certs you can get. Get atleast an Associates degree and start pounding the pavement for summer or temp jobs to use as a resume builder. Good luck.

Edited by 0sw4ld

Well I hope best buy or circuit city will hire me as a tech. They are usually stiffs who think they know everything. I will let you know how things go.