Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zraith

Windows XP *Skins*

12 posts in this topic

What do you use to skin the Windows XP graphical interface?

Is it free?

What skin are you using and/or like?

//Im getting tired of the same old desktop... I can change my *nix, why the fuck cant I change XP?

Is it free?

//Im getting tired of the same old desktop... I can change my *nix, why the fuck cant I change XP?

The best solution is to unlock WinXPs ability to use third-party themes. For that, the best way (read: minimal footprint) is to install the uxtheme.dll patch. Make sure you get the version thats appropriate for your version of Windows (ie. 2600Build/SP1/SP2/etc.).

Then you can go to sites like deviantart; or themexp.org to download some themes. Or you can make your own using third-party software.

Right now I'm using Code0pus by b0se.

Edited by Seal

Is it free?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

Get the patcher and apply it in Safe Mode. You can get themes at places like DeviantArt.

A little OT, sorry: Is there any loss of performance or drawbacks o using a different skin?

A little OT, sorry: Is there any loss of performance or drawbacks o using  a different skin?

Just the loss of memory for the images. If you can't spare the extra KB for a skin, you're in dire straits already.

The modified UXTheme(which both StyleXP and the patcher I linked to use) is just a hacked uxtheme.dll to allow unsigned themes to be used. It still uses Windows' native theme engine, so there's no additional memory footprint.

These are the only two places I get skins from:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36

http://browse.deviantart.com/skins/windows/visualstyle/

Neowin, as you can tell from my two posts, is a great place for Windows skinning. Most of the skinners are familar with it and post about their new themes there.

There's no standard way to distribute these themes. If they come in an exe they probably install themselves where you can select them from the place you set your theme. If they don't come in an exe package, you'll need to extract the .msstyle file to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\[MSStyle Name]

For example, if you have a theme called Element.msstyle, you extract it to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Element\

This will allow Windows to locate the theme and load it into the standard theme selection menu.

Hope I helped somewhat.

Edited by sp0rk

does the Classic Skin with a plain black background count? :P

it's got an ultra low memory footprint to boot!

If you really want to pimp our your winGUI I suggest getting a combination of windowsblinds and konfabulator. You can get free widgets, plug-ins, skins, themes etc. for these programs. Konfabulator doesn't take much speed but windowsblinds can take lots of recources.

That's cool Whitesword.

If you're looking to try something rather different, go with BB4Win

If you really want to pimp our your winGUI I suggest getting a combination of windowsblinds and konfabulator. You can get free widgets, plug-ins, skins, themes etc. for these programs. Konfabulator doesn't take much speed but windowsblinds can take lots of recources.

konfabulator isn't free but there is an alternative to it in the form of dotWidget. it's almost identical to konfabulator because....it was "inspired" by konfabulator.

I use bb4win on my laptop - win2k 192megs of ram, PIII 500mhz, I like it