Strom Carlson

The rumors are true!

22 posts in this topic

Combine Intel with Apple, and you get Inpple. Which, of course, is an anagram for nipple.

In one way, they could be shooting themselves in the foot, or they could be more successful than they have ever been.

--covance

In one way, they could be shooting themselves in the foot, or they could be more successful than they have ever been.

--covance

I've read somewhere a while back that Apple wasn't happy with Motorola due to the fact that Motorola wasn't making any big advances in their chips. So this is the next logical step for Apple. Damn, every time I use an Apple I'm amazed at how slow they are.

News.com has an article: http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switc...ml?tag=nefd.top

After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

This is very interesting, as it means users can purchase a Mac and dual boot OS X with Windows or any other x86 based OS.

Not surprisingly, however, users must still have a Mac to run OS X:

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

Unless of course ...

im glad apple wont let people run their software on whatever x86 hardware. one reason i like apple is because they know what they are using so if something goes wrong they know whats up. it may sound stupid but its true.

im glad apple wont let people run their software on whatever x86 hardware. one reason i like apple is because they know what they are using so if something goes wrong they know whats up. it may sound stupid but its true.

i agree, having control of the hardware allows apple to make much tighter software as they don't have to be worried about resolving issues resulting from the shoddy design of third rate hardware manufacturers *cough* cisco *cough*

i agree, having control of the hardware allows apple to make much tighter software as they don't have to be worried about resolving issues resulting from the shoddy design of third rate hardware manufacturers *cough* cisco *cough*

They will, however, have to do some revamp on their software. Other vendors who program for Apple will also have to do some revamp. Apparently there is a company that is supoosedly taking care of the tranistion to the x86 architecture with some sort of middleware. I am not sure who the company is or what it is supposed to do, but I guess it'll be ok. In anycase, there will be some non-trival transitions when they start implementing the change.

--covance

Well, I'm ready to ride the wave. I adore my Mac, I love my PC and never the two shall have met... until now. This is going to be entertaining, to say the least.

I guess ill get to try a Mac even sooner!!

YAY!?!

:o

Apparently there is a company that is supoosedly taking care of the tranistion to the x86 architecture with some sort of middleware.  I am not sure who the company is or what it is supposed to do, but I guess it'll be ok.  In anycase, there will be some non-trival transitions when they start implementing the change.

--covance

In the original topic of Apple switching to intel there is a post to an article that has the name of the company, I read it but can't remember the company name.

incase nobody knew this the base of osx has been available on x86 for a long time in the form of

Darwin.

All operation systems a side....is there going to be more than one button on the fscking mouse? :yell:

is there going to be more than one button on the fscking mouse?  :yell:

I belive so: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=951

According to sources who have so far filed accurate reports on Apple's future hardware plans, the company is feverishly working on a two-button wireless optical mouse that it intends to release.

is there going to be more than one button on the fscking mouse?  :yell:

I belive so: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=951

According to sources who have so far filed accurate reports on Apple's future hardware plans, the company is feverishly working on a two-button wireless optical mouse that it intends to release.

hahahahah. thats a joke making fun of apple. fuck that 1 button mouse shit. just get a good mouse.

It's not like you have to use the Apple peripherals. Apple keyboards still kick ass, but you can use any mouse. The Logitech MX series puts out some pretty good shit. And if you have a spare keyboard laying around, you can use it as well (there's some pretty good freeware apps that fix the command key switch problem out there.)

by now, for Apple's wanton need for "bleeding edge" (in their eyes), i figured they would have married themsevles back to IBM-esque monolithic architecture and chosen something such as the Cell processor.

Well I am looking forward to the change. Its about the OS for me and if by switching to x86 arch. they can save money and make a possibly cheaper product in the long run (just my wishing there) then I am all for it. I am in the process of removing every windows machine in my house in favor of a mac. I will just wait a bit longer perhaps before I buy my new machine. I may still buy my wife a Mac Mini based on power pc because once its set up it doesn't require any future work lol.

by now, for Apple's wanton need for "bleeding edge" (in their eyes), i figured they would have married themsevles back to IBM-esque monolithic architecture and chosen something such as the Cell processor.

Cell offers nothing for applications dependent on integer performance (which is most applications), so i'm not sure it ever woulda made a good mac.

TPM, TCPA, etc. aren't required. Apple announced that last week.

Another thing they announced is that you require an Intel processor with SSE3 to be able to run OS X...which is funny since a 3-year-old PowerPC can do it much better.

TPM, TCPA, etc. aren't required. Apple announced that last week.

After searching around I was unable to find such an announcement. There has been rumors circulating though ( http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&f...order=0&thold=0 ). In any event it is quite clear that Apple will use some sort of technology to try and prevent users from installing Mac OS on PCs not made by Apple.

Yeah, Apple will require you to have an officially-licensed FireWire 800 port that specifically says "FIREWIRE", not "IEEE1394"...because you can't pirate hardware.