Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbx43k

FreeBSD, Orinoco, Kismet

6 posts in this topic

Alright, I am fresh out of Google-Fu, so I am left to ask for assistance.

I am running a FreeBSD box, 5.4-current with an Orinoco Clasic Gold (clone), a Hermes I chip-set using the wi driver. Kismet has given me nothing but a headache. I installed from packages, pre-compiled, and configured it to use the radiotap_fbsd_b capture source. Kismet runs, but it eats up massive cpu and results in no captured packets. An ifconfig while kismet is running reveals that the wireless interface is indeed in promiscuous mode, and yet i see nothing.

My Googling has only uncovered others sharing in my strife, however, most of the results are at least a year old and refer to 4.x releases.

I think this is an issue with the wi driver, but for all know, its a kernel option or kismet configuration problem.

Does anyone know the current status of FreeBSD+Orinoco+Kismet? Can someone recommend an alternative/complimentary application or package that would work with this setup?

Thanks

pbx43k

Edited by pbx43k

i had the same problem using Mandrake 10.1, Orinoco silver, and kismet. It would eat the CPU like no other. the drivers I was using were the orinoco_cs if I recall correctly. I think I then just changed to the orinoco drivers and I think it worked fine. The card would work fine when not using Kismet, does it just do it while kismet is running for you too?

That sounds similar to what is happening to me, but from my understanding, they would be unrelated. FreeBSD doesn't use the same drivers that Linux does for the Orinoco, and in fact, i don't think that Kismet gets the packets directly from the interface with my setup. Thats what the whole radiotap thing is for, a kernel module that strips out the complete radio headers, not just the ethernet headers, and passes them off.

I have found such little documentation about this issue to be confident in I am talking about though.

You are correct. It does use radiotap as opposed to how they work with Linux, and as current as it is - as far as I know radiotap doesn't support RFMON when it comes to Orinoco/Hermes-I chipset cards. So, your card won't work with any applications that use passive sniffing - Kismet or bsd-airtools. BSD-AirTools will however, allow you to actively scan for AP's by sending out beacons - which is very noisy. If you want to complain to somebody, it's either Sam Leffer (for the original code) or Pedro who's pulling it from OpenBSD onto FreeBSD. Either way, eventually they'll get it working on FreeBSD so just hang in there.

You are correct. It does use radiotap as opposed to how they work with Linux, and as current as it is - as far as I know radiotap doesn't support RFMON when it comes to Orinoco/Hermes-I chipset cards.

This, unfortunately, confirms my research. Oh well, time to move back to Linux or get a Prism2-based card. Out of curiosity, did passive scanning ever work with FreeBSD and Orinoco? It seems that people have had success with it at around 4.8. Was it moving the wi control stuff into ifconfig that broke it?

If you want to complain to somebody, it's either Sam Leffer (for the original code) or Pedro who's pulling it from OpenBSD onto FreeBSD. Either way, eventually they'll get it working on FreeBSD so just hang in there.

You freaking jag-holes! If you're gonna put a lot of hard work in to something that you will release for free, at least get it right. Gawd. WTF is wrong with you jag-holes. Yeah, I'm not about to bitch about things not working properly, just tring to see if it is a limitation of the Software/Hardware or a deficiency in the Operator. Glad to see support for these functions is just lacking :)

I tried to use kismet with an orinoco card under FreeBSD 4.11, but it just complained about some shared libraries and died. Other than that, everything worked fine. You should probably try bsd-airtools before going back to linux.

Edited by sub_zenith