natas

Apple Switching to Intel!?!?

16 posts in this topic

:o Yeah I heard about it last week....i don't know what to think...we'll see what happens i guess :unsure:

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm glad cuz I hate IBM as much as I hate Microsoft. I have a Thinkpad T20 and it's a piece of shit.

Intel already dominates the desktop market. :glare:

IBM laptops kick ass. So do their CPUs.

Will it be a complete shift to x86, or just partial?

The article doesn't say. It simply says Intel will be making CPUs for Apple, not what architecture. There's no doubt that a port to x86 will boost the sales of OS X though. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

overall i think it's a bad idea apple is doing good with there IBM procesers and should stick with it

The article doesn't say. It simply says Intel will be making CPUs for Apple, not what architecture. There's no doubt that a port to x86 will boost the sales of OS X though. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Apple successfully navigated a switch in the 1990s from Motorola's 680x0 line of processors to the Power line jointly made by Motorola and IBM. That switch also required software to be revamped to take advantage of the new processors' performance, but emulation software permitted older programs to run on the new machines.

Perhaps they will do the same with this switch.

maybe apple figures that selling the add ons to the open source software they use can make them more money then sticking with a chip no one has.. or they may have umthin up there sleeve none of us knows about

I dunno about this. I foresee two things happening: 1. This is bullshit. These are unsubstantiated rumors and tomorrow there is no announcement. Either it's misinformation spread by Cupertino to hide something else they want to release at WWDC or the source doesn't know shit.

2. It's true, and Apple as we know it is dead by 2010. Apple is a HARDWARE company, and moving to an X86 chip will allow the use of OS X on whitebox PCs, which will kill said hardware company. It'd change them very quickly from a hardware company to a software company, because so many people don't see the reason for buying a Mac anyhow, beyond getting the OS. I can't believe that Steve Jobs would do this, even if he was blindly pissed at IBM. It would alienate current customers, especially ones who "switched" recently (or even more so, upcoming ones) who will realize that new software wouldn't work on their machines. If they don't migrate to a Pentium-family processor and they go proprietary then they alienate just about everyone.

A move to X86 would open them up to the same issues that Windows has with the tons of third party stuff that affects compatibility. Soon the OS comes shipped on fifteen DVDs full of drivers that you won't use and you get the same type of bloatware that Windows has become. Besides, one of the strengths of OS X has is that it's designed to run on Apple hardware. Users who install the OS on their whiteboxes won't understand why things like the Quartz rendering engine don't quite work and performance isn't quite up to par, and the OS gets bad reviews.

As much as I would love to be able to take advantage of OS X on a X86 I think it'd do some very real and lasting damage to the company, who has seen their market share rising recently. People are starting to see that Apple has really good products, and if they'd just start to market them right (other than the iPod) they'd start to take off. If this is true, it's very bad.

PF

2. It's true, and Apple as we know it is dead by 2010. Apple is a HARDWARE company, and moving to an X86 chip will allow the use of OS X on whitebox PCs, which will kill said hardware company. It'd change them very quickly from a hardware company to a software company, because so many people don't see the reason for buying a Mac anyhow, beyond getting the OS. I can't believe that Steve Jobs would do this, even if he was blindly pissed at IBM. It would alienate current customers, especially ones who "switched" recently (or even more so, upcoming ones) who will realize that new software wouldn't work on their machines. If they don't migrate to a Pentium-family processor and they go proprietary then they alienate just about everyone. 

Just because apple moves to x86 does not mean you could run os x on a commodity pc any more than you can buy a powerpc board today and run osx on it, or could in the past run the mac os on your amiga or atari st.

A move to X86 would open them up to the same issues that Windows has with the tons of third party stuff that affects compatibility. Soon the OS comes shipped on fifteen DVDs full of drivers that you won't use and you get the same type of bloatware that Windows has become. Besides, one of the strengths of OS X has is that it's designed to run on Apple hardware. Users who install the OS on their whiteboxes won't understand why things like the Quartz rendering engine don't quite work and performance isn't quite up to par, and the OS gets bad reviews.

Just because the cpu is x86 does not mean that it is a commodity pc, everything can be the same except the cpu, in which case the problems you describe don't exist.

Just because the cpu is x86 does not mean that it is a commodity pc, everything can be the same except the cpu, in which case the problems you describe don't exist.

The other thing everyone seems to be overlooking is that it may not be an x86 chip at all. Granted, I haven't looked at Intel's product line, but it seems reasonable to assume that either Intel has a non-x86 chip, or that intel may start fabricating the powerpc chip themselves if they can acquire partial or full rights from IBM and/or Motorola.

The other thing everyone seems to be overlooking is that it may not be an x86 chip at all.  Granted, I haven't looked at Intel's product line, but it seems reasonable to assume that either Intel has a non-x86 chip, or that intel may start fabricating the powerpc chip themselves if they can acquire partial or full rights from IBM and/or Motorola.

There's arm, but those are too slow (if you take the position that this is about the macintosh, and not some handheld device), but there's also the itanium which might be interesting, but the itaniums are quite expensive, so I dunno. Then there's the intel emt architecture (amd64 arch long mode). Certainly they don't wanna go from 64 bits to 32 bits on the mac.

That said, I believe this is total bs.

I'll be damned. If they put the Intel DRM-processors into the new Mac's I'll leave this platform for good. And you can't possibly know how sad I will be if that happens. Have been using Apple products for 10+ years, but if this happens, I'll leave.

It would be the ultimate insult to us Apple customers (you're locked into the platform, "so if you want to continue using Mac OS X you must use our DRM-enabled chips...").

So, watch out for the slightest rumor that Apple will be using Intel's DRM-technology. It's possible they'll be forced by the Hollywood Studios if they want to open the iTunes Movie Store anytime soon...

Update: These paragraphs from this review really sent shivers down my spine. It doesn't have to come to this, but it's getting more and more likely that it will. Sad, so sad.

"Will current Mac users like this new locked-down platform? I doubt it, which I guess is why it's going into consumer devices first.

"In the PC industry, Apple lost the productivity/office era to Microsoft, but it's trying to get the jump on the next big thing: the entertainment/creativity era, and it's going to drag it users, even if they're kicking and screaming, with it."

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,67749...tw=wn_tophead_1

Edited by macK3r

"Apple will offer a Developer Kit, which includes 3.6GHz Pentium 4. OS X 10.4.1 for Intel (preview release). Order today; available in two weeks."

"Mac OS X has been leading secret double life. Every Mac project build for Intel and PowerPC and Intel. Every release of Mac OS X has been built for both Intel and PowerPC-based Macs. For the last 5 years. Mac OS X is cross-platform by design. Apple's demo is on an Intel-based system. Jobs shows all Mac OS X Tiger features are already compatible with Intel-based processors. Not done yet. Will put into the developer hands to help Apple finish it."

I had read about secret reports claiming that Apple had ported OS X over to x86 a long time ago. I wasnt ever sure if they were true though.

On a side note, I see this being really good for Apples laptops in the future. G5 processors are just to damn hot and take to much electricity to be put inside a laptop as small as the powerbooks.