cypress

FreeSpeling

25 posts in this topic

http://freespeling.com/

This is a site where they think that words should be spelled the way that people hear them and the way that people want to spell them

Its a pretty good idea and also pretty funny, too!

Believe it or not, only 17% of native English speakers can spell the following six words correctly:

Height, necessary, accommodation, seperate, sincerely, business

What little faith I had in humanity just faded.

Yeah, that's definitely kryptonite for guys like Strom and me.

Is this what society is coming to? It was bad enough years ago when the ebonics bible was published; now people are making a push to write like 12-year-old AOL kiddies?! WTF?!

WTF?!

IRONY!

But yeah, I almost cried when I saw that, then I had some chocolate with midol in it (how'd that get there?) and it made me all better.

w00t.

Believe it or not, only 17% of native English speakers can spell the following six words correctly:

Height, necessary, accommodation, seperate, sincerely, business

What little faith I had in humanity just faded.

Me too... sepArate anyone?

and next we'll see, You don't like not getting the right answers in youmath class? Let's just change it for those of us who don't get math. From now on 2+2=x, where x equals what ever number the most people right down. Brilliant!

This is insanely stupid. I mean, comeon. Why should we have to change the language? If you're so dumb that you can't learn how to spell correctly, try harder. I'm not going to be brought down because a bunch of idiots just can't spell certain words. WhiteFyles' comparison is the only perfect way i can put it. This is something really idiotic.

I don't see why we should change the way words are spelled just because some people are to lazy to learn. I understand that some are just not smart enough and this probably wouldn't help them much anyway. Thank god this will never come to pass because if by some miracle they succeed I'm moving to some country that actually would respect intellectuality.

I don't see why we should change the way words are spelled just because some people are to lazy to learn.  I understand that some are just not smart enough and this probably wouldn't help them much anyway.  Thank god this will never come to pass because if by some miracle they succeed I'm moving to some country that actually would respect intellectuality.

and especially someplace where they know the difference between "to" and "too" ;)

I don't see why we should change the way words are spelled just because some people are to lazy to learn.  I understand that some are just not smart enough and this probably wouldn't help them much anyway.  Thank god this will never come to pass because if by some miracle they succeed I'm moving to some country that actually would respect intellectuality.

and especially someplace where they know the difference between "to" and "too" ;)

Now that's what i call critical. Strom should go to every school and correct the grammer of it's kids. We need to teach our kids proper english, damn it! English is my second langauge(Well it used to be), but i can write it, and read it better than anyone in any of my classes. And i'm african.

and especially someplace where they know the difference between "to" and "too" 
:mumble: :mumble: :cuss: :yell: :blush:

Thier all idiots...

They're minds are broken...

There is no way i'd ever stoop to their level...

:P

Suck That Strom!

Wanna give an enlgish lesson while we are at it?

I would have to say the saddest part about this is that in the past books were cherished, knowledge was gold, and proper education is what seperated the rich from the poor. Now it seems to have made a complete 180; good looks, a charming personality, and a knack for words is what will get you on top. Like the saying goes, "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

Truly sad, pathetic, and down right degrading.

edited here:

begin email

Why should a bunch of lame brain lazy asses decide what the future of literature is. How can you consider yourself an intelligent being if you can't even spell simple words properly?

Oh, wait that's right - since most of the people in today's society have decided that being lazy, uneducated, and downright stupid is the way to go we should make those who have an IQ higher than their shoe size adapt to the new world. If the 83% of people here in the US can't spell properly then instead of devoting all of their free time to useless garbage such as video games and television they should go back to the way things used to be and pick up a damn book! It is pathetic that in our culture most people have a fifth grade reading level, but what makes it worse is that people like you are supporting their stupidity by trying to change the literary world to fit the expectations of a six year old child.

You should be ashamed of yourself, people like you are the reason this world is going down the shitter.

end email

Alright, this may be a waste of your time but after seeing that sight I felt the need to express myself and let them know what idiots they are. I know that one of two things will happen with it: either it will be disregarded, or they will edit it and post it somewhere on the site saying look how poorly his grammar is and he's complaining for us trying to help him. Then they will post some kind of witty remark to try and make me look like a fool. I hope they do post it and try and make me look like a fool, I also hope that anyone else who came across this forum will also send an email to this completely fucked up organization.

Sorry if this came across as too harsh of a flame, but dumb people piss me off. (no offense to any slow people out there reading this.

Edited by Fr34k3R

Guys, what about someone just learning English? Seriously, I could see a purpose for this besides some dumbass not knowing how to spell. Think about people who genuinely want to learn English but have trouble and can't spell right.

and next we'll see, You don't like not getting the right answers in youmath class? Let's just change it for those of us who don't get math.  From now on 2+2=x, where x equals what ever number the most people right down.  Brilliant!

"write down."

This is insanely stupid. I mean, comeon. Why should we have to change the language? If you're so dumb that you can't learn how to spell correctly, try harder.

i think there is a word for what you just said there.... lazy

if you can't learn it change it to your way... i know i would like to do that with code, but i know that if i try it long enough that i will learn it THE CORRECT WAY!

and next we'll see, You don't like not getting the right answers in youmath class? Let's just change it for those of us who don't get math.  From now on 2+2=x, where x equals what ever number the most people right down.  Brilliant!

"write down."

with our powers combined we will become the most grammatically correct hackers on the digital interweb!

Still, no one caught my PUN... LOOK UP!

Grrr, we will start with our Their, there, and they'res...

*Whips out his English grammar book*

"write down."

with our powers combined we will become the most grammatically correct hackers on the digital interweb!

Sure beats that captain planet guy.

so the guy made a hooked-on-phonics website? GREAT, we need more people that natively speak english, screwing it up. phonetics/pronunciation is all but lost on today's culture.

It is kind of interesting to remember that standardized spelling is relatively new to the english language. Anyone ever read any Shakespear?

edit:

...but I agree that this is stupid.

Edited by Jberryman

Many words used in Shakespeare's literature are today obsolete and meaningless.

That's why dictionaries are published.

It is kind of interesting to remember that standardized spelling is relatively new to the english language. Anyone ever read any Shakespear?

edit:

...but I agree that this is stupid.

Shakespeare created over 3000 words, including bedroom and breakfast....

Shakespeare created over 3000 words, including bedroom and breakfast....

Shakespeare did some very interesting things to the English language; coining new terms and re-inventing uses for obsolete terms is a lot of fun and adds flavor to the language (hell, just look at the hacker jargon file - http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/ ). However, jargon and creative wordplay are far more useful, far more poetic, and far more intelligent than simply ignoring the rules and writing gobs of incomprehensible slop that sort of kind of resembles English.