Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fr34k3R

C++

7 posts in this topic

I was reading through some of the posts and saw a topic, I can't remember which one, about *nix being leetist. Somewhere in there a reply said that the *nix systems are fully supportive of C, my question is - Does this mean the entire C family, like C++, or just C?

I think when you're talking standards and non-OS dependant software, the unixes have support for that. You can compile most of your windows apps with wine, that is if you want to use them. But most of the windows apps do not come with source code. So wine lets us try to compile windows source code. And i believe you can also run linux on Apple computers. But i don't think it's possible for any one OS to know everything, and support everything, about a single laguage. Their are always going to be libraries it does not know and support. Their are allways going to be bastards who want to change the C/C++ standards. And their allways going to be corporations that try to hide specific source code from the outside world.

I haven't done much coding on my Linux box, as I'm learning on my Mac right now, but I can say that Macs do come with everything needed to write and compile all your favorite C family languages, as it runs off a BSD kernel and ships with GCC (you have to install XCode, however, which is on the included CD). I'm pretty sure Linux does as well (fully support C), and if not, it can be solved with a simple download. I'm pretty sure it depends on what type of distro you have. Some early distros may not have come with C support included, but if you have anything released in the last few years, you should definitely have it. Just type "gcc -v" into your shell or terminal window to find out if you do, and if so, what version.

Also, there's a search function if you ever need to find a topic again, too. I ran into the same problem - you forget it's there sometimes. :)

Hope this helps!

Edited by PsypherX

Since Mac was brought up I have another questoin, are the less expensive models worth getting. I'm sick of using Windows to begin with, and I hate IBM and HP, a friend of mine told me that the best Mac is like $4k and very secure, but my budget is under $1k.

Since Mac was brought up I have another questoin, are the less expensive models worth getting. I'm sick of using Windows to begin with, and I hate IBM and HP, a friend of mine told me that the best Mac is like $4k and very secure, but my budget is under $1k.

Sure, the lower end desktop macs are just fine (quite a bit faster than the high end mac laptops, fwiw).

If you're interested in getting rid of Windows you might also consider Linux or BSD, which are technically oriented and very fast, stable, and secure.

If you're interested in getting rid of Windows you might also consider Linux or BSD, which are technically oriented and very fast, stable, and secure.

I just installed Linux Red Hat 9 on a second partition on my laptop so that I can get to know it better. I take back what I said about IBM sucking, putting aside the fact that my laptop is 5 years old it works pretty well with dual OS's. But for some reason no matter what I do it always starts lagging when Windows is running.