Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jager

SNMP server

4 posts in this topic

Had been looking for a program which could map all computers on site when i would plug into a new network.

And after surfing the web for awhile i found it without looking :P

Lansurveyor i think the prog was called.

Not freeware but still it was of use for me.

When i was looking at the map of the hub i was wondering what i was seeing.

SNMP caught my eye and i picked a random SNMP server on the network and tried pinging it.

Got an answer.

Ran a port scan which reaveled telnet and ftp running.

Tried connection with both telnet and ftp both went through without probs.

Telnet

login:user

password:

now that ive figured out this much i wonder what i could do with it.

Since i dont know everything about networks i did some google search about snmp.

And my understanding of it is that its some kind of probe/monitoring tool for the network (correct me if im wrong)

since its already in place i thought packetsniffer.

To get any further i need to find a way to crack/bypass the telnet system.

Username is admin.

Password=?

Downloaded brutus and tried that one but it gives me a replie about not getting expected data and then he disconnects.

I was looking at the connection procces and there it said something about read so many char/bytes before acting or some..

My memory aint that great.

So if anyone has any input on this id be glad to hear it.

You can try THC-Hydra ( http://www.thc.org/releases.php ) but in most cases brute forcing a remote login won't get the results you want for the following reason:

1. To me comprehensive it takes a looong time.

2. It leaves long audit trails.

3. Account lockout policies.

What are snmp servers used for.

SNMP management allows network administrators greater monitoring control. One advantage of SNMP is the ability to set traps. Traps can be used to trigger alarms in the event of a problem. For example, a wastewater treatment plant may have a remote pumping station with a SCADA system attached to several devices. The SCADA system has an un-interruptable power supply. Transition’s media converters are placed at each device to provide fiber to copper conversion. Communication between the pump and the main control station are done via Ethernet. The SNMP Management software can monitor the remote media converters and use traps to determine if there is a power loss to the pump station, which could then send notification to maintenance. SNMP Management allows for greater control and less downtime.

Source

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetwor...Industrial.aspx

hmm.. if they are monitoring the probes the admins will notice that the probes are sending info or not working properly.

I cant make changes to it but i can log in and view settings.

Edited by Jager

SMNP v1 and v2 send their community name in plain test accross the network. You can see if you can sniff it with Dsniff.