Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n0nym0u5.4

wireless

6 posts in this topic

could someone explain to me just how wi-fi works and if it would be possible to transfer data over many other medians like short wave radio tanx?

yeah you can trasfer data over standard FM, there is aculty a dedicated system (i rember when i was in the RAF (royal air force) you could tune into this frequency and you would just hear like the sound that came out of a modem it was a digital time weather computer or at least i was told that was what it did.

Wi Fi is pretty much like standard radio exept it is around 100Ghz frequency and it is microwave waves (correct me if im wrong) so the singals are sent over that. i am sure that you can find some more info on the net. like how things work.com or such like.

Wi Fi is pretty much like standard radio exept it is around 100Ghz frequency and it is microwave waves

Oh my word. 802.11b/g is in the 2.4GHz spectrum and 802.11a sits in the 5.8GHz range. HowStuffWorks.com has a dummified explanation of it.

Pardon my noobishness and thank you for the correction :) i was honestly pulling a figure out of the air but i did know it was in the GHz range.

When most people talk about wireless networking, they are refering to 802.11 Wifi networks in the 2.4 (802.11b,g) and 5.8 Ghz. (802.11a) frequency range.

At lower frequencies, such systems as AMTOR, Bell 202 ASCII, PSK31, AX.25, MDC4800, and RD-LAP are used. Speeds are generally 19.2K or slower. The old ham packet radio networks used 1200 baud AX.25, and occassionally they'd tunnel TCP/IP through it.

The best way to get started is to pick up a Linksys WRT54GS and start playing with it. The price is reasonable, iand a lot of hacks for it exist.

wow i got alot more responses than i thought i would. thanx

i think that i might start some sort of boradcast i dont reallyknow i just have way too much free time on my hands.