fluidicslave

rebroadcasting legal issues

20 posts in this topic

I was wandering if there is any thing iligal about useing my scanner to rebroadcast my local police and fire radio over the internet ?

hell yeah. should think you arnt even supposed to listen in

I would do It anways..Atleasy for a bit.

I mean really...They are putting it out on the radio waves, whats the hamr in extending the range via the interweb :D

But really I mean it wouldn't be harmful to them...Not like it's secret stuff...

And really I don't see how they could stop you.

Oh, they'd try and find a way. I'm sure of that.

I'm sure if you did it for a while, they would.

But if this was a limited time thing...I'm thinking they wouldn't.

There are alot of places online that already broadcast police/ambulance/fire frequencies online already... google it... most of them are for big cities but i think there are a couple for small areas as well...

word of adivce, dont make it live. recoded then destribute if you really want to do it

I would do It anways..Atleasy for a bit.

I mean really...They are putting it out on the radio waves, whats the hamr in extending the range via the interweb :D

But really I mean it wouldn't be harmful to them...Not like it's secret stuff...

Considering I happen to know for a fact that it is illegal (I know a few police officers on a first name basis) to decode it and listen to it in the first place, I really don't think it would be a good idea to broadcast something like that online. Why would you want to anyway?

The airwaves may be free, but listening to them can be against the law.

It may be against the law, but it's not like it's a major offense...So if you really wanted to do it...

But Subzero1037 said that it is already done...So there is no real point to arguing over it... ^_^

How the hell is using a police scanner illegal? Did you guys not notice you can buy one at any electronics store, and books with the freqs at Radioshack?

Edited by GIJoe

How the hell is using a police scanner illegal? Did you guys not notice you can buy one at any electronics store, and books with the freqs at Radioshack?

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Fine dude, go do it. I'm just telling you what I know.

You can buy rolling papers where I live, doesn't mean you can smoke pot.

Hey, I wouldn't do it just because I think it is kind of pointless...Especially with it already on the internet in some form.

I would check your state's particular laws on scanning before you did this, as every state has its own laws on scanning. One place to start would be http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/rules.shtml. I know that in my state being a local volunteer fireman or E.M.T. allows one to monitor ems, fire and police frequencies. Also, having your ham radio license exempts you from most laws prohibiting you from owning a radio capable of scanning those frequencies. The rebroadcasting part seems a bit dodgy to me however. I would think that Bernie S. would probably be the man to really answer this question.

I would check your state's particular laws on scanning before you did this, as every state has its own laws on scanning.  One place to start would be http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/rules.shtml.  I know that in my state being a local volunteer fireman or E.M.T. allows one to monitor ems, fire and police frequencies.  Also, having your ham radio license exempts you from most laws prohibiting you from owning a radio capable of scanning those frequencies.  The rebroadcasting part seems a bit dodgy to me however.  I would think that Bernie S. would probably be the man to really answer this question.

wise words ^_^

State laws most times don't transfer over to internet... actually its pretty fucked up how it works... sometimes they do sometimes they just take fedral laws and use those...

As for it being illegal to listen, its not unless the frequency is encrypted and you decrpyt it... you should be safe if you stumble across an open frequency. There isn't anything saying that you aren't allowed to listen into what is going on.. they are public airwaves afterall...

What they don't want people doing is broadcasting over the same frequencies... that can be against the law..they aren't too fond of that and it could be prosecuted as obstruction of justice. I know in my area its not illegal to listen into the cops... and people around the US do it. FYI ~ how do you think reporters and photographers of major newspapers around the country know whats up with the cops... half the time they get there before the cops do...

If the site is HOSTED in a foreign country who will not extradite the information, you are safe. I know the phillipines has no cyber crime laws. I've heard .de, .tk, .ws, etc. are good for this kind of thing. You might be prosecuted for treason though :(

I would check your state's particular laws on scanning before you did this, as every state has its own laws on scanning.  One place to start would be http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/rules.shtml.  I know that in my state being a local volunteer fireman or E.M.T. allows one to monitor ems, fire and police frequencies.  Also, having your ham radio license exempts you from most laws prohibiting you from owning a radio capable of scanning those frequencies.  The rebroadcasting part seems a bit dodgy to me however.  I would think that Bernie S. would probably be the man to really answer this question.

Instead of Bernie S, i'd really suggest talking to a lawyer if you really want to do this sort of thing, because the laws do differ on a state-by-state basis.