matt

Keylogger

7 posts in this topic

Hey.

For personal reasons, I want to put a keylogger on your computer. Will you let me?

How do keyloggers work? Do they just run in the background and report every keystroke? Where do the 'logs' go? To a server? Can I select the server they are going to?

What's a good/sneaky way to install a keylogger?

(I don't want to have to buy a box or something, I want it to be software)

Thanks.

Edited by matt

I know you said you didnt want to buy a box or whatever, but for both PS/2 and USB keyboards they make ones that just blug into the computer (about the size of a usb flash drive) and then the keyboard connect to the device as well.

These seem to be the nost effective, though they can run you about 70 dollars. Also, these are more effective (as anti-virus and other security software) cant detect them, yet. You can use these as many times as you want, though there is a limited ammount of keystrokes per device!

I know you said you didnt want to buy a box or whatever, but for both PS/2 and USB keyboards they make ones that just blug into the computer (about the size of a usb flash drive) and then the keyboard connect to the device as well.

These seem to be the nost effective, though they can run you about 70 dollars. Also, these are more effective (as anti-virus and other security software) cant detect them, yet. You can use these as many times as you want, though there is a limited ammount of keystrokes per device!

However, those do have the disadvantage of requiring you to either retrieve the unit and bring it home; or have it dump the data on his screen. They also have a physical presence; so maybe not detectable to an AV but at least detectable by the human eye.

I used "Perfect Keylogger" for demo purposes. Wasn't that bad: it let you rename the .exe to anything you wanted (including something sounding like an important system process). Install the files over to the C:\WINDOWS\ folder too to be more covert.

If the [software] keylogger sends data back via smtp, make sure that the [software] firewall won't block the traffic.

on software keyloggers where is the data sent?

on software keyloggers where is the data sent?

You can have it sent to your email in different time periods (every hour, day, etc.)