Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
White_Raven

Hacking my life..

31 posts in this topic

I just wanted to let you all know that I now have no hardware and have no working box to use at all - My girl got tired of me using her lappy and I have no other way to get online,, and since I have no other computer to use for work Im out the money to pay my bills as well - Just wanted to let you guys know that Im not going to be online much if at all in teh time to come, I dont ahve shit to use and Im too damn poor to get what I need , yes it sucks ass and it fucking pisses me off that now I have no fucking way to get online or even work, but its how it is and I have to deal with it.. if you have ideas on how to get money or hardware that I ca use, feel free to email me at whiterav3n@hackerhost.com as I probly will not be able to check this or even my own board in the small amount of time I may or not be able to get online.You guys where all great, I hope something goes trhough but till then Im screwed and cant do shit, goodbye.

dude, you can dumpster dive for computers, theres bound to be one you can use. I need another machine as well (second computer) and am too cheap to pay for it, I prolly am gonna find some working box sooner or later........

Not to mention second-hand stores like Goodwill and surplus stores...

want a sparc classic.. debian almost runs on it lol

whiterav3n: just join a LUG man. Those guys are ALWAYS giving away free machines...especially if you say you would like to run Linux but don't have a box you can put it on...badabingbadaboom you have yourself at least a pentium class machine.

Well I have been looking at this box that is a micro case... (something that could fit in a larger glovebox) for 269 dollars... mobo and case... then say push a 1.8 celeron in there (or a chip of your choice in the pent 4 or cel series) 1.8 cel is going for 70 dollars here.... it takes 2gb ram so you do the math for what you want... everything else is its own. No monitor no mouse no keyboard... so think of that price.. nice system.. small and 2 expand slots.. 2 bays My choice would be a dvd/rw and a floppy with maybe a badass video card in the back and maybe a godly soundcard as well to overdo my max :)

oh and no hd.. but lol everyone has a hard drive they can spare if you need one ...

Moral of the story?

A person with minimum wage job in 2 weeks ... could purchase this stuff. minimum wage with 35 hrs a week minus taxes comes to about what $315.92 ?

you can do even better than that.

Hell, a new emachine is only 400 bux0rz for the lowest end model (probably 1.8 - 2.2 range) brand new.

And you can go to any computer show and get a barebones Athlon 2.0+ machine, and all the peripherals that you need (HD, CD-ROM, floppy, KB/Mouse) for 250-300 at the most.

Drop down to a 1.0-1.5 Mhz lower end and knock another 50 off of that price. It is easily get the job done, and the only limit would be maybe playing high-end games.

Hardware is CHEAP now.

I'd agree with hacnslash about dumpster diving. I've pulled 5 'puters out of the trash in the past few months. 2 of them worked, the rest were good parts cows. I found another one today, but it seems the mobo is fried.

But, my heart goes out to ya, White_Raven. It's one thing just being without a computer, but it's another thing to be denied the tools for your livelihood. I'd be SOL too if I was in the same boat.

I got to borrow the use of a comp on AOHell to check the web.. please dont hurt me ;)

A) I live in a hick town of idiotic hypocryts who belive the only way to improve yourself is to go to church or read the bible (no offence to you christens out there, but as a pagan in a town like this... I get discriminated against even though its soposed to be against the religion they are always trying to force on me, blah), and dumpster diving is out of the question due to the town not having any good spots due to the large technology gap.. :(

B) When I say Im dirt poor, I ment it.. being legaly blind (I use the computer using different tools and what sight I do have) tends to do that to you as people dont like hiring people who cant see that well.. They get away with it by saying another person is more qualified (As if sight was a skill..) and thats why I depend on the internet to get funds for my bills, as people dont have to know you cant well to pay you; Right now if I cashed a check for 3 dollars I would be over my limit and my account would be negitive. I so things like system administration when I can, website design, creation (takes me a while but I can force myself to do it, and local development (I can usualy tell how my system is doing by listening to it.. when a cpu needs to speed up or gets under a larger load it makes a humming sound, most people can only hear the harddrives), making my monthly income about $450/500 month, total.

C) We have no local linux users group, people are too ignorant of linux and the few peoplel do know who use it do so due to myself showing it to them, and they can not help me as I have already checked.

Thank you for the offfers of hardware, if you really want to send something you can send it to the info contained in the whois for hackerhost.com making sure you tag it "ATN Raven" so Duane can pass it on to me like he did my copy of binrev yesterday (All the sites I have are in his name so its free to me since he gets everything free anyway), so dnt worry about it not getting to me if Im lucky enough for you to send something.

Im not sure how often I can borrow the use of a computer/connection, so if I dont check in you know why.. Im trying though, Im trying..

woah dude, you got it pretty hard, I live in a hick/redneck town as well, (west virginia). There are a lot of people here that use linux tho, the university being the main employer in the town, we get some pretty educated ppl here, of course there are your occasional sheep that do what they're "supposed" to do. too bad there's no good dumpster diving locations, diving kicks ass!!! and while I don't have the means to send you some hardware (i do not have any income either...) I totaly see your point of view, and I sympathize.

I have an idea why don't we all donate a part for white_raven to get a box up and running....

I have a matrox g200 gfx card I can send to him and a 3com etherlink III network card that I have spare here

What do you all think we got enough spares between us for one box surely ......

I have an idea why don't we all donate a part for white_raven to get a box up and running....

I got a shiat load of P100 mobos, and some pentium CPUs lying around as well. collect some cash for shipping and I can get him a monitor as well.

I've got a couple of hard dirves, ~ 3 GB. And I disavow any knowledge of any data held within.

Heres the deal: My girlfriend is going camping with her family and so she let me borrow the use of her laptop for the duration of the trip, about 5 days.. after that however I am back into the same spot I was before, so I will be on it 24/7 working so I can at least pay my rent this month ($300), or at least thats the goal.

I thank you for your willingness to help, If you really want to send me parts thats great however as a honorable person I must inform you that I do not have the means to pay you back currently although I would be in your debt, and I must let you know that I do have a working monitor and keyboard, however I belive my mouse is fucked up, either way command line linux (preferably slack as thats the distro I first learned on) is a hell of allot better then nothing, and I would be able to do everything I need to even if all i have is vi, ed, and cc.

To that end if you send me a hardrive dont worry about what was once on it, as a matter of security and becuase of past problems I have had with local componies trying to either abuse my skills or such,whenever I get a new hardrive, used or new, I boot to a slackware cd and pull a

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd[hardrive letter]; echo -e \a

And when it beeps I shut it off and reboot, partion and such.. this puts the hardrive back to factory spec and gets rid of any rouge data on it.. cfdisk loves working with the drive after that anyway.

Its a about 2 am here, but i have work to do and I can not waste time that could be spent working sleeping.. so I shall take my leave for now, thank you.

You can zero out a hardrive...or if you can be really paranoid (safe) and use Darik's Boot and Nuke

Link

I thank you for your willingness to help, If you really want to send me parts thats great however as a honorable person I must inform you that I do not have the means to pay you back currently although I would be in your debt.

I believe I speak for most when I say, repayment is not nessicary... we give a limited amount of hardware, where you supply an endless source of information. I believe we are the ones who benefit from you being able to get online.

I just found a Aureal vortex 1 sound card too I will stick all the gear I have in the post to you raven.

Everyone else help out if you can.

I thank you for your willingness to help, If you really want to send me parts thats great however as a honorable person I must inform you that I do not have the means to pay you back currently although I would be in your debt.

I believe I speak for most when I say, repayment is not nessicary... we give a limited amount of hardware, where you supply an endless source of information. I believe we are the ones who benefit from you being able to get online.

I try to help where I can, however "endless" is a more diffinitive term then I as a mer mortal can provide; However I thank you for your wish to help and and will always try to help when I can, just as I have since I first joined this board.

If any of you really want to send stuff to me to help me out, use the Walla Walla address in the whois records for HackerHost.com, ATN Raven.. I just got off the phone with Duane and he said he doesnt mind getting stuff sent to me since he cant help me right now either.

Right now Im downloading Linux and BSD ISO's to burn so I have a updated OS for whatever I can coble together out of parts, and am working on some php in notepad for a custom shopping cart for a website.

The really sad thing is that I have all these computer parts that dont work.. I tend to keep hardware in use till it explodes out of sheer pain and old age, and I thought I had some hardware on the way from ebay but all I got in the mail 1 weeks ago was crap that wasnt what I paid for, I thought I was getting a sparc IPC workstation with a nic and everything, and I got a case with no harddrive, no nic, and no ram, and only a floppy drive as a input.. the compony say they are "fixing it" but havent contacted me since before I first started this thread :(

Thank you so much if you want to send me something, if you dont thank you anyway, I posted this thread to let you guys know I wouldnt be around, not to glean hardware from all you guys.. thanx, I gotta get back to work.

Today I have to give the laptop I was borrowing back to its owner, so I will be back in the "No computer" zone again without it; As ntheory and everyone who has idled on irc.hakt.tk#chat knows, I have been working around the clock barely sleeping (Just ask ntheory, lol I think I scared him from always being online no matter what time it was) and codeing in several languages (mostly php.. Im getting sick of it) to get all the work I could done, even hacking out a voice activated task manager so I could do more at once - Suffic to say I got allot donel; But sadly it wasnt enough.

Im doing everything I can to stay online, but I can and will not denie the laptops owner the use of her property, no matter how much I would love to.. she was nice enough to let me borrow it after all and I still need to repay her somehow.. gotta think about that.

Anyway, Thanks for all your friendship and I will be back when I can... dont know when that will be, however Im going to go out on a limb here and say if you *want* to donate money to my "get Raven a working computer" fund, you can do so via paypal using the email whiterav3n@hackerhost.com if you want to.. Im not asking as that is not my nature, but seeing the friendlyness of everyone here makes me want to make the option available - If you dont have paypal acccount, simply using that email as a refferal may help me as I belive they may give you a credit or something for reffering ohters, not sure.

Goodbye everyone, I hope to post again someday, hopefully soon.

Got to borrow my girls lappy again, so tonight Im going to idle in irc.hakt.tk#chat and work on some code for clients, tomarrow I have to give it up again :(

Paracord, what does ":wq" mean?

":wq" is vi speech and it means save and then close. i wonder what made paracord change his topic as it used to say something else...

as it used to say something else...

Just some crap that didn't belong here.

oh ya.. I know about the vi thing, just didnt expect to see it as a post so it was out of context for me..

heh...why not ":q!" ? ;)

paracord, i saw it...i understand the post. just FYI. and thanks.