Fod

Dumpster Diving Stories

14 posts in this topic

It would be cool to have a place just to post stories of dumpster diving and other ways of getting cool stuff.

Edited by Fod

thats dumpster diving .. how? sounds like theft to me.

Post deleted by member

Edited by Evolve

sorry, i didnt mean it as petty theft but as a place to post stories of finding telco manuals or old servers and stuff like that.

EDIT: I should of posted this topic in ue, wasnt thinking, i'm running on about 4 hours of sleep in about 2 days.

Edited by Fod

I haven't done any dumpster diving in years. It simply doesn't yield enough value to be worth the risk.

Edited by pinhead

umm well i dont mind posting a story, after the last 2600 meeting friends of mine ( Slade, Cflag, Larry ) and I went driving around wall street and the surrounding areas, we didnt find much at all ( an ID card printer, some acetone cleaning pads ) until we drove around this hospital where there were tons of flat CRT's a few Stripped Dell GX110's TONS AND TONS of docs not to mention the gold mine i found, i grabbed a 5 pack of IBM Ultrium LTO drive cleaners which retail for 100 a piece, but im not too sure ill be able to sell them, anyone wanna buy them for 300? :) haha oh lets not forget the big tape film things, havnt found a way to watch them yet, they might be either survalence tapes or medical footage, they look kinda like movie tape reels. who knows, :) well thats my story how about the rest.

oh lets not forget to mention that all the docs were secure, manuals and personal information containing SS#'s poor job at destroying them :(

I've never actually gone dumpster diving before, perhaps i should try it sometime.

I've never actually gone dumpster diving before, perhaps i should try it sometime.

Fellow binrev member zeroxeal and I went dumpster diving at a phonebook company once. We found this old drunk dude in the dumpster that scared the shit out of us though.

Edited by stevecronin

I have found tons of stuff in CompUSA's trash. Lots of working hardware and software. Also, SBC does not lock their dumpsters where I live. I have pulled out countless manuals, boxes of aerial drop wire (almost full), boxes of CAT6 wire (almost full), and many other goodies.

I need to find a dumpster of a phone company instead of a store. I've been looking at stores and they don't get any of the good shit. Finding a close phone company is pretty dam hard...

At my old condo some 6-7 years ago, i used to go down to the 'garbage room' where the bins are and look around for electrical junk. Found printers, phones, books, pcs etc. Not a bad place to check since its open to all the residents in the building.

Shit...Where to begin...

I haven't dumpster dived in about 10+ years. Last time was with the old l0pht crew up off the MA-128 loop North/West of Boston. We'd wind up pulling old cell phones out of a Cellular One office, and there was a radio shop that had manuals and old radios that were pulled out of service. Plenty of computer places that had parts. I figure some of the places are still pretty viable, and now that l0pht is no more I doubt the places get visited regularly. Once found a dumpster full of DEC and Unix manuals in an MIT parking garage; that was back in 1992 or so. We wound up filling the back of my old Dodge station wagon from that one dumspter alone. MIT throws out a lot of stuff, but I hear they have gotten pissy in recent years when they catch non-students diving on the property. A local hacker once had a run-in with the campus cops when some grad student complained. BBN back then didn't care who went through their dumpster, and was always tossing stuff out. Of course a lot of it never made its way to the trash. There were a lot of hackers working for them. :D Still lots of places to dumpster dive in the Boston area. You just need to do some research.