riscphree

Airplanes and WIreless

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering, does anyone know if its ok to use Ad Hoc mode on my wireless card with another laptop on an airplane?

I think the FAA was going to lift the ban on WiFi in planes and I think some airlines even offer WiFi access now.

When in doubt, contact your travel agent.

I saw an ad recently for an airlines that offers in-flight wifi, so you're not going to crash the plane or anything like that. It may be against the rules though

I was reading in some reputable magazine, that for the most part its a myth that the waves will interfere with air/whatever traffic of the aircraft...

I was reading in some reputable magazine, that for the most part its a myth that the waves will interfere with air/whatever traffic of the aircraft...

Yeah, i read that too. Some wireless signals will interfer, but most don't.

Some of them are pretty insidious and you don't always know how they'll mess stuff up. I speak as having flown on Civil Air Patrol Search and Rescue missions, where we used scanners, radios and such on the aircraft. Filtering devices is pretty difficult, so rather than run the risk of letting one through they just ban their use.

In March I was on a couple American Airlines flights and in the script they read before take off it mentioned that you couldn't use any device with wireless during the flight unless the wireless feature could be disabled. It's not like they actually check to make sure you do that.

It's not like they actually check to make sure you do that.

yeah, but i dont want to die :P

if the plane points down, take out the card. It is so simple..

if the plane points down, take out the card. It is so simple..

AHAHAHAHH!