Dr. Z2A

2 linux q's

6 posts in this topic

I have two quick linux questions:

First, how do I uninstall programs that I got in .tar format in debian? I don't mean the .deb packages but progs i got from tarballs. I have looked around a lot on the debian website and all that they talk about is how to uninstall .deb packages.

Second, I have a laptop running windows xp that can pick up wireless internet and I have a debian box that can't pick up wireless internet. I was wondering if Samba would allow me to use my windows laptop to get internet on my linux comp? I would just try this out and test it but my parents got pissed at me (long story) and took away my laptop until the beginning of June.

If you keep the source tarballs, some include a `make uninstall` within the Makefile - that's if you're super lucky. I'd suggest you start using CheckInstall to create binary packages for Debian that can be installed and uninstalled using dpkg. For the existing ones, you might use something more dangerous-like, perhaps this (if you wanted to remove, say, mplayer)

updatedb && locate mplayer | xargs rm -rf

to remove all traces of files with mplayer in it, or inside an mplayer-ish directory.

and I always thought Samba was file and print sharing only?

Second, I have a laptop running windows xp that can pick up wireless internet and I have a debian box that can't pick up wireless internet. I was wondering if Samba would allow me to use my windows laptop to get internet on my linux comp? I would just try this out and test it but my parents got pissed at me (long story) and took away my laptop until the beginning of June.

So you want the WindowsXP box to work as a gateway for your Debian box right?

You'll need two things, the first is a way to connect the Debian box to the windows box, the second is to turn on Internet connection sharing on the windows box and to tell your Debian box to use the windows box as gateway.

for the debian box, 1st off is it the same make as the xp one? or are they the same box i didnt seem to get that part, 2) do you have the drivers installed in the kernel? or inserted into the kernel? 3) if all above is good, do you have the wireless tools package installed? to check run "iwconfig" in a terminal as root, it should say something other than

eth0 no wireless devices

eth1 no wireless devices

if it says something to that extent you have wireless tools but you dont have the drivers installed properly.

else you'll have to check with your router to see why your linux box cant pick it up. possibly a configuration problem.

uh for about half my progs i got rid of the source tarball. Anyone know how to uninstall with out it?