01dsk001

Small Linux Distro

17 posts in this topic

I am getting and old 133mhz Laptop soon and would like some ideas for a linux distro that would run well on it. I am new to linux so the easier a setup the better. The laptop will be mainly to learn linux and do some programming.

If at all possible install linux on a desktop. I would recommend finding drivers for all your devices (linux) and burning them on a CD or something. If space is an issue damn small linux should work well. Have you thought about linux live! cds like knoppix?

I've got an old PII that runs great with DSL (HD install). Still have a bunch of stuff to configure on it, and setting up XFree86 was a pain, but it's working, and it's fast.

try debian, it does well with a very small amount of hard disk space. I have it installed on a 10 year old Pentium 133 box with 4 gigs of total hard drive space (2 hd's in it) and it works great. I still haven't been able to configure Xfree86 right (Psypher impart some wisdom on me plz), but i don't have as much of a desire to (cause desktop's r for n00bs).

Edited by Dr. Z2A

It may be a little different on Debian, as the DSL HD install had a few quirks of it's own, but I believe I spent an hour dicking around with X86Setup and manually editing my X86 Config file to limit the resolution to 800x600.

There's also the option (with DSL, not sure if Debian has it) of booting at the LILO prompt with "fb[Width]x[Height]". That sets the framebuffer to use the resolution you specify, which in my case was "fb800x600."

Hope that helps, or at least points you in the right direction. :)

May I suggest slackware? It can be as small or as large as you want it to be... It runs awesome on all my old machines.

If at all possible install linux on a desktop. I would recommend finding drivers for all your devices (linux) and burning them on a CD or something. If space is an issue damn small linux should work well. Have you thought about linux live! cds like knoppix?

knoppix wont work because although it doesnt run via hd it still takes ram, i ran it on pIII 500mhz (i think thts the cpu spec) and 64 mbs of ram, it ran decent at best, id go with either DSL, Slackware, Debian, or if you can manage gentoo. good luck!!

For old systems, I would reccomend NetBSD or Slackware. If you have at least 32 MB RAM, you could also try Plan 9.

I third Slackware... It is my personal favorite...

It runs fluxbox on my 133mhz (32 mb ram) like magic...

I fouth slack. I would recommend a slim version of slack called: Vector Linux. I'm using it on a 333mhz with a 4 gig hd. Works great.

I fouth slack. I would recommend a slim version of slack called: Vector Linux. I'm using it on a 333mhz with a 4 gig hd. Works great.

Yes, this is a good tip. I have Vectorlinux 1.8 running on a P100 laptop with 16 MB RAM and a 750 MB HDD; it works surprisingly well.

After reading these posts it makes me want to cry, all you guys are talking about how old your computers are and giving the specs on them. My desktop is ten years old, only has 32m ram, and in order for me to install the IDE for visual c++ on it and transfer data from my laptop to it I had to install Windows 2000 which took up about a gig of the available 3 gigs it has. I already knew it sucked [HP, I hate them. Almost as much as IBM, which is my laptop. :(] I would have just put a pci card in the desktop and networked them together, but I have no money so that was out of the question. I have the Red Hat Linux 9 version which I wanted to install on my desktop, but couldn't, will it work for a computer that's about 5 years old?

I'm in the same boat... but hey, thas why I have Slack...

Slackware or Vector Linux will most likely run on this box...

I'd stay away from, red-hat... I completely hate all their distros(im a bit naive).

There is really no customizing, whereas in slack, you can get it to fit on your 2 GB HD...

About Visual CPP, I have no clue if there are programs, but i can almost guarantee you could find one :P

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I've had exceptionally good results with slackware.

Slackware is nice. Perhaps trying out http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ , itd be as bare as you like ;) Though probably not too friendly & would take too long. Also, Not linux, but eh. http://www.openbsd.org/ Its not that hard in my opinion. I've seen others that lack experience with *nix in general easily install it.... you just gotta read a little. http://www.freebsd.org/ ...another option. much more simple id say, yet again, not linux.

Edited by |cfh|