Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
windwaker

Cheap way of recording phone calls?

26 posts in this topic

I'm basically looking for an easy way to record phone calls. For when I'm around a PC, I think that I can use a two microphone jacks (one that goes into the headphone thing on my phone, another that goes into the microphone jack on my PC), however, it'd be pretty swift if I could record payphone calls.

Prehaps you can do it THIS WAY. It's not too expensive.

Those are pretty horrid, because anything you transmit is much louder than anything you receive. Touchtones will print right through the tape.

That schematic just kicked my ass, Strom.

Anything involving microFarads is waaaaay over my head.

Building on Stroms home recording idea, along with a little more handholding/how-to than just the schematic, but not much more is this article.I plan on building this as soon as I finish my FM band jammer (still waiting on a crystal from mouser). I would be interested in Stroms thoughts on this link. It is basically a neon/tan box right?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/70

what the ass is a "neon/tan box"?

The reason it's better to record off the receiver circuit than it is to record off the telephone line directly is that you record outgoing audio at the sidetone volume instead of at the true transmit volume. The sidetone volume is far closer to the volume of the received audio, which makes for a much more pleasant listening experience and will also make for a better recording if you're unlucky enough to be recording with a device that does automatic gain control.

Okay, I think that, portable wise, it's best to go with a microcassette recorder. However, while I'm near my PC, can I not just do something like...

Headphone jack (something goes into my phone in the headphone slot) -> wire -> microphone jack (goes into the mic slot of a PC)

Would that work? >_>

microcassettes suck period. If you want to go analog (which is a good choice) get you're self a GOOD tape recorder. And just get that radioshack recorder we've all seen. It's cheap, anyone can do it, no computer crap, etc. And get the black one to be able to play back on the line. I don't use the black one to record because it's not as good as the one that plugs into the actual line, instead of the handset.

Prehaps you can do it THIS WAY. It's not too expensive.

It just so happens that I have one of those rat shack recording controls hooked up to a cheap tape recorder right next to me at the moment. I was using it to record some DTMF so that I could play them back to the bellsmind PBX and decode them, but it looks like my setup is not capable of getting high enough quality sound to have bellsmind regonize all of the digits. So it looks like this recording system is ok for voice conversations, but lousy for very serious phreaking purposes.

Sorry that did read pretty poorly. I should have been a little clearer and said, "This should be capable of doing the things a classic neon box and a classic tan box can do, right?"

Ticom, that link to the Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series you guys are hosting is great. You probably have these already, but I have the Navy Information Systems Technician Guides 1-5 here in PDF format: http://rightcoaster.com/navy

I think there is a sixth, but I don't have it yet.

That schematic just kicked my ass, Strom.

Anything involving microFarads is waaaaay over my head.

You need to look at:

http://www.iirg.net/~ticom/neets/

-clicks print-

When my teacher comes back from out of town (no time soon, though school only has... 5 days? left) shes gonna be short alot of toner <333

Sorry that did read pretty poorly. I should have been a little clearer and said, "This should be capable of doing the things a classic neon box and a classic tan box can do, right?"

This still doesn't tell me what either a "neon box" or a "tan box" is supposed to be.

I used Modem Spy once, but the problem is that it records to straight 8-bit PCM, ignoring the fact that ulaw PCM gives you 12-14 bits of apparent audio resolution. Result: crappy recordings.

yeah i used modem spy once, then uninstalled it. I never liked it. But that's just my personal opinion.

For the EAS recording i did i used a old skool answering machine that had a 'phone record' feature. It would record onto a audio tape. From there i hooked up a radio to my input on my sound card (male to male headphone jack cable) I would then play the tape at a very loud volume while recording with whatever program you use, in this case i used cooledit pro (As i recall) This is by far one of the most ghetto setup i've ever seen. Since then I've spent a few bucks and actully have a nice setup now.

Oh yeah I'd also like to say modem spy is not my friend.

microcassettes suck period. If you want to go analog (which is a good choice) get you're self a GOOD tape recorder. And just get that radioshack recorder we've all seen. It's cheap, anyone can do it, no computer crap, etc. And get the black one to be able to play back on the line. I don't use the black one to record because it's not as good as the one that plugs into the actual line, instead of the handset.

You sure? I've seen minicassette recorders record great quality audio. @_@

Oh, and I could also attach an electrolet mic that I make to it, making it small and unnoticeable, for things other than recording calls.

Neon / Tan box.

ah ok, so in simpler terms, "totally ignorable garbage"

Oh Strom-you're such a box hater :lol:

Just go to Radio Shack and get the small device that plugs into a tape recorder or a computer, and record calls! :grr: Yeah my bad, that is what I have as well! I didn't notice the above post!

Edited by Majest|c