Havoc

Hacker arrested over Cisco attack

11 posts in this topic

source :

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/printFri...1606159,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/05/10/govt.co...cker/index.html

A global investigation into the theft of a key piece of software that forms the "backbone" of the worldwide web has led to an arrest of a suspected teenaged hacker in Sweden.

The news followed claims that an internet break-in at Cisco Systems in California last year, which led to a hacker accessing part of Cisco's IOS source code, was just one part of an extensive operation in which thousands of systems were penetrated.

It is believed that the case has involved attacks on computer systems involving the United States military, NASA and university research laboratories. The CIA and and Scotland Yard were among the organisations that investigated the Cisco attack.

Shortly after its theft, the Cisco code was posted on a Russian website in an move designed to prove it had been stolen, to the obvious embarrassment of Cisco, whose products include secure business networks.

The implications of the event caused a storm within the IT industry.  Experts said that access to the source code could provide sophisticated hackers with the means of compromise the security of computers running the affected software.

The stolen software is used to power routers which control the flow of information over the internet. This includes Cisco's 7000 series, which forms the worldwide web's spine.

The software giant said it was "encouraged" by news of the detention in Sweden, which had involved "the help of many law enforcement agencies".

"Cisco IOS source code is both copyrighted and protected as proprietary material," it added.

"It is illegal to post it, make it available to others, download it or use it. Cisco will take all appropriate legal actions to protect its intellectual property."

Edited by Havoc

Hahahaha, they deserved it. WOW! I would so want to look at that sourcecode. :wub: I hate this whole "intellectual property" thing. Is the code patented? It looks like another attempt to scare the shit out of people. "They got our sourcecode and may study it and get vulns to crash the worldwide web". If cisco thinks they're sourcecode is "secure" then i don't see the problem. Hell, i think they should post it themselves. This just proves to you that these corporations make unsecure code and try to hide it with patents, "intellectual property" bullshit, etc.

that's really too bad. I don't know why people act like that.

Hmm if the code is patented then shouldnt it be in some national library some where in Washington DC? The reason im applying this is because I remeber reading one the chapter in Kevin Mitnicks "Art Of Intrusion" where some dudes get the source code to some gambling machines and study the source code and hit it big in Las Vegas. They got the source code from some library that had copyright records.

Hmm if the code is patented then shouldnt it be in some national library some where in Washington DC? The reason im applying this is because I remeber reading one the chapter in Kevin Mitnicks "Art Of Intrusion" where some dudes get the source code to some gambling machines and study the source code and hit it big in Las Vegas. They got the source code from some library that had copyright records.

Patents and copyrights are similar but are not the same thing. A patent grants the patent holder the exclusive right to manufacture a new or unique invention for a certain number of years; copyrights give the copyright holder the right to their work for a number of years as well. The key things that differentiate patents from copyrights are:

- There is generally no "fair-use" clause - the patent holder retains exclusive rights to the invention

- An invention must be new and unique to qualify for a patent, whereas almost any work can be copyrighted. You cannot patent an audio recording, for example, but you can patent a unique technique for making or reproducing the recording.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Oops, Thanks for straightining that out Strom. So then Cisco would have copy rights for their source code? But would not have a patent for it because there using a programming language that has already been patented, unless they invented a new programming language just to write their own code, which I doubt. Right?

There was talk about this on this week's Off The Hook. Emmanuel and Kevin talked about the Cisco news and about the Vegas bit someone mentioned above.

Oops, Thanks for straightining that out Strom. So then Cisco would have copy rights for their source code? But would not have a patent for it because there using a programming language that has already been patented, unless they invented a new programming language just to write their own code, which I doubt. Right?

No dude, i can write a program in C++ and patent the algorithms i use. Microsoft, Apple, and all the other corporations do this. They patent things, from images, to methods. Even if they did not invent them and just stole them from someone else. Patents are very bad and evil things.

In May 2004, a portion of Cisco's Internetworking Operating System (IOS) code was illegally copied and posted on the Internet.

Haha they can't "put the shit back in the horse."

I was expecting to read the attack cost Cisco something like $1,000,000,000.02 in physical damages, turned 2 servers into nuclear bomb, and crashed a dozen Windows boxes, or some other numbers companies always make up when something like this happens.

I'm glad the source got out. Since it's part of the backbone of the internet, something that everyone routes traffic through, I think it should be made public, since it is used by the public everyday.

Keeping the source secret would be like giving people a new medication without testing it and/or not telling the users of side-effects or dangers of the drug. Though I guess its not a good analogy because someone probably wouldn't die or get sick by a Cisco vulnerability.

But the internet may crush if we got vulnerabilities in Cisco routers. Soooo, why don't those fuckers make the source opensource?

Patents are very bad and evil things.

Not inherently. The whole point of a patent is to foster invention and creativity; the inventor gets the exclusive right to produce or use a device or method for a relatively short set period of time in exchange for describing, in detail, how that device or method works. It's a reasonable tradeoff; many great inventions would probably not have come about had the inventor feared that the idea would not be commercially viable.

If the inventor so desires, he/she/it/they can license the idea to others (Bell Labs did this with countless inventions, and I believe IBM and many major universities do this as well). The "bad and evil things" come when companies use the patent protection to stifle invention and creativity.