Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fluidicslave

network design suggestion

12 posts in this topic

i finished the router but before hook up all of my networking equipment I thought about another little problem.

I have 2 wan ports and and 3 lan ports on the router.

1 of the wan ports will provide internet conectivity for 2 of the lan interfaces which will each run dhcp one of them providing class B addresses for my work stations and file server. then the the other lan port wil provide class c addresses to wireless clients. the second wan port will provide internet access. to my web server, asterisk box, and some shell severs that I run.

my question is what is the easyest way to provide NFS ssh and SMB between a given class B host and the rest of the network ?

Edited by fluidicslave

pci card would probably be better, if nothing else, more clean looking :P

The PCI card would probably be best - it'd be cheaper and self-contained, and you'd have less wires to deal with.

If you're looking to mod your AP so it can reach greater distances, however, you'd want to opt for the external AP.

I have a computer that I am useing for routing it has 1 free pci slot left. I want to add

a wireless accecibility to it I cant decide weather I want to do it by adding a wireless pci card or another ethernet card and ataching an ap to that. they are both redily avalible to me. any ideas

?

first, you might want to try adding the "dictionary" module to the "bookcase" device.

Were you ever a copy editor, Strom? You're a real stickler for grammer, it seems, that's all.

Waits for it... waits for it...

You were gonna bust me on GRAMMAR, weren't you?! :D

Were you ever a copy editor, Strom?  You're a real stickler for grammer, it seems, that's all.

Haha, you would think I would have been a copy editor, but I never was. I'm a stickler for grammar and spelling because reading poorly written English is almost as painful as vigorously rubbing my eyeballs with a cheese grater.

Were you ever a copy editor, Strom?  You're a real stickler for grammer, it seems, that's all.

Haha, you would think I would have been a copy editor, but I never was. I'm a stickler for grammar and spelling because reading poorly written English is almost as painful as vigorously rubbing my eyeballs with a cheese grater.

I'm gonna have to sig that... :lol:

It's certainly a trait that affects a lot of us, no doubt. After I got out of journalism school, I couldn't help but pick apart everything I read.

I've gotten over it now, and have just recently gone back to chatting (IRC, AIM, etc.) without capitalizing and punctuating my sentences.

Then again, I still don't talk so good sometimes. :P

Good luck finding a wireless PCI card that works (assuming you're using one of those lightweight Linux distributions for routers).

I already have a wireless card that works as well as an ap the choice is more about what to hook up becuse I have all of the hardware.