Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asn

unsubscribing

9 posts in this topic

Got a kinda wierd question.. i got an email for circuit city that said thank you for signing up to recieve emails blah blah.. The email comes from deliverysource.com. So when i got to unsubscribe it tells me, "Your request to be removed from our email marketing list has been successfully received. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing" Why the heck would it need 24-48 hours is my question??

thx

Emails could be queued up to be sent out

So they can send you more spam, they pretend to manually verify. But by unsubscribing you're usually just telling the spammer they have a valid e-mail address, you're better off filtering them.

But by unsubscribing you're usually just telling the spammer they have a valid e-mail address, you're better off filtering them.

If it's a "C1aliss" or "git ur M3ds hear" spammer, absolutely.

But a real business like Circuit City or something will unsubscribe you. Like BlakeOPS said, it's just your usual corporate red tape. They are just covering their ass in case you get another one before you get off their list.

Edited by Evolve

mmm... a queue as a linked list of email objects

There is a program called mailwasher that will give the sender a "fake" mail bounce message. Pretty sweet. (works with pop3, smtp, etc)

Got a kinda wierd question.. i got an email for circuit city that said thank you for signing up to recieve emails blah blah.. The email comes from deliverysource.com. So when i got to unsubscribe it tells me, "Your request to be removed from our email marketing list has been successfully received. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing" Why the heck would it need 24-48 hours is my question??

thx

http://www.docdroppers.org/wiki/index.php?...n_Based_Systems

Thanks for the information folks and for the link stankdawg :)

But a real business like Circuit City or something will unsubscribe you.

They're using a "we'll spam for you" third party, and i'd trust them even less not to sell email lists. Besides, all major chains sell some form of personal information to third parties for advertising purposes. So label me a bit skeptical.