Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cypress

Help writing script

7 posts in this topic

OK, so I am working on my school's website. We have a HUGE list of teacher's names. We decided that we would like to add their emails on that list, I know about all the spam that they might get, but the webmaster of the school said "there are filters for that...."

My question is, is there a script, that would add the email addresses to the proper names. We have a word document with all the names, and another one with all the emails. If you know how to do this, without copying all of the emails to the names, please post it, or link to it.

Thank You!

It depends on how the email address are listed. Does the 37 teacher name on the list match up with 37 email on the list? If not is there at least some naming convention for the email addresses? For example dpatte001@school.edu for David Patterson.

Most of the email formats are jdouglass@school.edu J being the first name, like James, and Douglass the last name.

The problem is that some emails have numbers, for example jdouglass3@school.edu becasue there are three othere Douglasses out there.

The name list is Last name first, then First name and can be found here LINK

The names on the list do not match the emails in the order that they appear.

On the spam resulting from posting email address directly on a page, there is a common solution. A simple JavaScript function that peices together parts of the email, such as username + @ + domain + tld. Pretty straight forward JS that prevents simple scrapers from picking up the addresses.

Yeah. It depends on how the data is arranged. It could be an easily solved problem using awk, sed and grep. Post an example for how the documents have the data and perhaps we can give you a solution.

Seems to me like this is an ideal time for soem good old fashioned copying and pasting. With the time you spent thinking and posting... I don't know how big your school is, but I remain confident you could be at least halfway done. Meh. To each his own.

Thats what I will probably be doing......