Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

EYNTO Show!

34 posts in this topic

Well, its been three months in the making! And more hours of work than I could have ever possibly fathomed! EYNTO Show is complete! Its an educational programme for those who are newer to the computer world, but wish to learn more. It covers everything from Internet Security to installing hardware upgrades (14 topics in all). The show has a duration of 59:55.

Download the EYNTO Show here: [WMV, 220MB]

Download Here

UPDATE: Updated to new download URL without audio bug. In the process, I found two further mistakes with the show. One was in the final credits (name appearing twice) and another was the wrong footage appearing in the show (which occured when Premiere crashed and deleted my footage along with it).

UPDATE: All fixed. Added PHP URL this time round so that I can monitor the bandwidth consumed.

UPDATE: Added new mirror & tracker. Thanks kizzle!

Edited by Seal

I'm first. B)

She's coming in at around 420KB - 500KB/s. I'm on 4mb.

Edited by Caustiq

I'm at 211 kb/s on a 3 megabit line.

Edited by Scheda

I'm getting 450-600 on a fractional T3.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to watch this right away so I cannot comment on the content. But after scanning through, I can say that the production level on this is very professional. The layering of images and animations is excellent.

Thanks guys ^_^

Note stank I added you to the credits as I make mention of the email vulnerability (30% done rendering the fixed show).

I've watched most of it, but I must be off to work, thus far it's been excellent. Great job Seal.

Very impressive!

Do you plan to have a regular release schedule for this?

Very impressive!

Do you plan to have a regular release schedule for this?

To answer your question: no, I don't. For one this took me too long to do... approx. 2-3 hours for every minute of final footage you see (the show has thousands of edited pictures, and countless home-brewed animations.) There was also alot of timeconsuming backdrop dealing with the limitations of using a 2MP digital camera to shoot the footage. I also feel that I basically adressed all the issues that I assumed to be prominent among newer users. In essence: if I did another show with the same focus, I wouldn't know what topics to approach.

Edited by Seal

I reccomend sending this to Rant TV and archive.org. Great stuff!

Seriously, this is a great job. I am, not done watching it yet (sneaking a few minutes at a time while at work) but this is A+ material. I don' t know if this was for school or what, but you did an excelent job and you should be very proud of the result. And I know the time required to do editing, and you did some very impressive stuff. The segment with your "bizarro Julian" was excellent.

I hope you are as proud of this work as I am proud to watch it. Really, I couldn't be more impressed.

I've finished watching the whole thing. I liked how you didn't shy away from warez, without doing anything illegal, and I even learned a thing or two.

Dude, I'm with everyone else. Amazing post-production work, and graphics. This should really help a lot of people. I assume this was your intent, but I would like to link to this on a couple other forums I frequent that are oriented towards Windows end-users. It keeps my Windows skills sharp and I like helping people out. This would really help a lot of them. I'll wait for the OK, in case you have bandwith worries.

Thanks everyone. :)

I have enough bandwidth (100GB) for 450 people to download this show. If you think (I'm not holding you accountable, so no worries) that there will be under 100 people downloading it, sure. If you think there'll be over 100, then I'll try finding another host to help accomodate the load (archive.org looks appealing).

Be aware that there are glitches with this movie still (name appearing twice in credits, wrong footage at a spot).

Great job really. The content is golden. You’re very interesting to listen to most of the time. A bit of suggestion though. I don't really like how you stretch your words with enthusiasm. For example I’m listening to your segment on spam. Maiiiiiiilbooooooooxxx. It's not exactly needed. A little enthusiasm is okay but too much can get annoying. Obviously the quality isn’t great but you've treated it good with the subtitles. You also have your words scripted and know exactly what you’re going to say.

I hate to go on the bad side but I thought I would say it. Otherwise a great job. I would give it 9 out of 10. It is aparent you put allot of effort in it. You should be very proud.

Great job really

Edited by jamesmalone

Very nicely done, and glad to see it done in Canada lol. :D Just curious but how long did it really take to put this show together? Thanks for the awsome work.

Very nicely done, and glad to see it done in Canada lol.  :D Just curious but how long did it really take to put this show together? Thanks for the awsome work.

I spent one day writing the script. Then I took 2 hours taking the footage for the driveby you see in the intro. I then spent 2 days during my school break in February to take most of the outdoor footage (thus the snow). I spent the rest of the time editing (again, 2-3 hours per final minute of footage). I took some other outside footage for the chapter on WLAN vulnerabilities in March (spread out over a few days); took more footage for the download networks part in April as the script had really deviated from what I wrote out initially; and then even more footage for the hardware part (did it twice over 2 days as the first time was crummy, thus why you see me wearing different shirts). The end credits can give you some insight into the running around I did. The script is now btw 50 pages.

I've been pretty much working on it solid since the last week of February, with the exception of beginning-mid April where I was concentrating on exams. I plan on making a DVD (possibly sell it for $2 + S&H), and adding a director's commentary.

Edited by Seal

50 pages? dam. I myself cant write even one page. Nevertheless, awsome work!

11.2GB in transfers. Scha-weet. ^_^

But it does mean that I have to be careful for the next few days.

Updated show URL to that of the fixed; final; edition.

Edited by Seal

I have not seen the video yet but sounds very good. Two things though.

Try using Coral Cache to save on bandwidth. The new url would be http://www.jmcardle.com.nyud.net:8090/stor...2432/eynto3.wmv

The first download will copy the video to their cache servers. After that most of the transfer will be handled by them. This is a great way to save bandwidth instead of making new computer users figure out Bittorrent. If your not sure it will work give people two choices. Say "try this download link first, if you have problems try the second link."

Secondly your download counter has a bug. If you click the download button and then cancel the download it still counts 220MB used bandwidth.

Edit: It would be smart to set up a bittorrent for when this thing gets Slashdotted. Several free trackers are out there.

Edited by kizzle

Did the Coral thing, and it works great.

I am aware of the flaw with the script, but its just intended to give me a rough idea daily on usage. I'll reset it to the true values on a daily basis as I get the logs in. If usage ever does become insane quickly, regardless of how many people downloaded the entire file, and it thinks it passed the 60GB mark, the script is designed to cut off access to the download and rename the file to something else.

Working on the torrent file now.

Thanks again :)

Very well done, Love the Cowboy Bebop intro. What do you use for your animation?

Very well done, Love the Cowboy Bebop intro. What do you use for your animation?

Thanks. Photoshop to create the pictures themselves. All the images are static, and animated by moving them with Premiere. Alternatively, I make 10 individual frames of animation in Photoshop, save them as an animated .gif with ImageReady, and import the whole into Premiere.

Torrent now up btw.

wow.. this is fucking awesome.. big ups to seal..