Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unknown_entity

CD/DVD Repair Devices

11 posts in this topic

Ok get this the semesters pretty much over for me so i actually have some time to sit down and do nothing. So im playing GTA san andreas and my new compact PS2 tips over when the disc is playing. I was like "oh crap" but i just picked it up and kept playing.

Now it wont even load and i see theres a noticable scratch on the disc that was obviously from the fall. Ok so at this point im like :growl: :blowfuse: *HULK SMASH* :blowfuse: :growl: throwing the empty beer cans across the room.

So the question is has anyone had experience with using those disc repair devices on PS2 or any other discs? I really dont want to buy it again so im thinking try to repair it or maybe SE Best Buy into giving me a new one.

You might try using a soft-yet-abrasive cleaner to do it - something like toothpaste. All it does is level the polycarbonate down to the depth of the scratch/gash in it. You can also try something like a 2500 grit sand paper and lots of time. I've picked up my slim-line PS2 many times from the right side, and pressed the disc into the surface but I've never scratched it. You might also be able to get an audio place to repair the disc for you, somewhere that sells pre-owned stuff probably.

You could also go to your nearest used cd shop. They Likely have the high quality re buffer's like the one's in my town. They usually only charge $3.00 per disc etc. and they always come out looking damn near brand new. I've never had any complaints with the service.

I didn't realize that homie above pretty much said the same thing but it's all good.

Edited by tw1zt1dmaj1k

They used those at the used game shop near my house; I bought splinterl cell used and the scratched disc came out looking beautiful. It works perfectly also. It costs no more than $5 for a heavily damaged CD.

Thanks everyone... a few buxors to rebuff the disc sounds alot better than having to buy a new one. I'll have to give some of the local video game trade in places a call.

the disk will be ok as long as the foil side is not scratched, if it is no more GTA for u <_<

I still want my old tiberian sun NOD disk to work :angry:

I have an electric "Disk Doctor" which works great. These things do work, I would suggest using one or buying one if you scratch many discs.

the first time I ran into a scratched CD that the drive would not read was way before those repair devices came out. I had nothing to lose, so I tried some real nice car wax that I happened to have. I put a little on the bottom of the CD using a soft lint free cloth to polish the CD from the indside center hole to the outside using straight wipes. I let it haze over and then used a clean part of the cloth to take it off in the same manner. it worked just fine when I was done.

note that they were not deep or heavy scratches but it would not read before.

I ended up taking it to this local independant game store(not a franchise thing) and was talking to the guy there. He said they have something better than a skip doctor. It was this big looking machine it had like 5 stages it could do to a disc.

It used some kind of buffing compound and he said it can repair things that a skip doctor won't.

So i was like oh-cool, they ended up doing it for free too :D And it plays and looks perfect now. They said it wasn't scratched very bad and only took two stages to fix. normally they charge like $5.

:2guns: *Guns-Down prostitute with AK-47* :2guns:

So the moral of this story:

Don't always run to the big chain stores because half of the time they don't know their own head from their ass.

Alright, here ya go...one of my personal favorite non-so-well kept secrets of mine:

I use this stuff to recover data CD's and DVD's found in dumpster dives that companies carelessly throw out with trash...it's amazing stuff dude. Made for Plexiglass and stuff, they (dunno who "they" is, someone involved with the DOD) created it to fill, patch and repair the windshield of the stealth bomber believe it or not. You can froogle or ebay it or something, but here's a couple links that I found. You'll only get it from aviation or motorcycle supply places.

http://www.pilotmall.com/store/merchant.mv...duct_Code=17048

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1150

Edited by Evolve