Havoc

Parents blame Vonage over girl’s death

23 posts in this topic

Voice over Internet Protocol provider Vonage is under fire in the US for failing to connect an emergency 911 call.

VoIP firms have to warn new customers that the service does not link properly to emergency services. 911 calls from landlines in the US give the location of the phone to emergency services.

A Florida couple are blaming Vonage for the death of their 3-month old daughter. Cheryl Waller called 911 when her daughter Julia stopped breathing. But she got a recorded message telling her the sheriff?s office was closed. She ran to a neighbour?s house to make the call but the delay proved fatal for her daughter.

Vonage is facing similar claims in Texas after a teenager was unable to contact police after her parents were shot during a robbery.

The problem is being addressed - Vonage announced a deal with Verizon last week that it will provide full 911 services for all subscribers. The roll-out begins in July and should cover all states by year end.

source :

http://www.local6.com/news/4467742/detail.html

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/May/1143124.htm

and the video is here

---

other related article :

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzvoip1...iness-headlines

Edited by Havoc

It's really unfortunate that this happened. I think people do need to read all the terms before signing up for service though.

Here is an interesting problem: What if someone goes to dial 911 on a VoIP phone served off a broadband connection and the broadband providers network is down? Can we then sue the ISP? I am not a lawyer, but I have a hard time sticking the blame on the ISP (and Vonage) in this case.

The customer was made available the risks associated with Vonage and decided to go with it anyway.

I bought a bathtub and I didn't read the part involving the hairdryer. I was electrocuted and now I'm going to sue... same logic.

Voice over Internet Protocol provider Vonage is under fire in the US for failing to connect an emergency 911 call.

VoIP firms have to warn new customers that the service does not link properly to emergency services. 911 calls from landlines in the US give the location of the phone to emergency services.

A Florida couple are blaming Vonage for the death of their 3-month old daughter. Cheryl Waller called 911 when her daughter Julia stopped breathing. But she got a recorded message telling her the sheriff’s office was closed. She ran to a neighbour’s house to make the call but the delay proved fatal for her daughter.

Vonage is facing similar claims in Texas after a teenager was unable to contact police after her parents were shot during a robbery.

The problem is being addressed - Vonage announced a deal with Verizon last week that it will provide full 911 services for all subscribers. The roll-out begins in July and should cover all states by year end.

If the few seconds it took her to go to another house was too long, how could she expect an ambulance to get there in time?

There house most likely had a copper connection, so keep a phone plugged into it for emergency calls. Now when they try to make a 911 call and got forwarded to CS because they used too many of their unlimited limits, THAT would be something :)

If the few seconds it took her to go to another house was too long, how could she expect an ambulance to get there in time?

I started a post like this but then I realized that 911 isn't just a dispatch, they could have walked the woman through the steps to perform, say, the heimlich or whatever else.

I don't know how in US but in Europe if you take a GSM phone even without any activation card (I mean SIM card) you can turn the phone on and dial 112 which will connect you for free with the nearest dispatcher.

'112' is the GSM international standard emergency number, manufactured specifically for GSM mobile phones, and to be dialled in urgent and life-threatening situations. Provided there is GSM coverage, '112' can be dialled anywhere in the world and automatically translated to that country's particular emergency number.

'112' may be a helpful secondary resource if you are out of your network operator's coverage area but within the coverage area of another network. In an emergency situation, a caller is able to connect to the emergency services answering point if GSM mobile coverage is available from any carrier's network at the location of the call. When dialling '112', access is provided regardless of the presence or validity of the GSM SIM card in the mobile phone, or whether the mobile keypad is locked (i.e. by dialling 112, the PIN locking feature is automatically overridden).

IMHO everyone ought to have at least one mobile phone (just mobile, no need for service) to be able to make an emergency call.

I doubt strongly Vonage will be held liable in these cases, allbeit a very traggic set of incidents...More than likely they will have some disclaimer in thier TOC to mitigate any lawsuits as a result of flaw with thier service...

Yay! Let's sue everyone! Maybe one day we can find a way to sue the courts if we lose our lawsuit!

Fuck this whole country.

GET A FUCKING GOD DAMN LAND LINE AND/OR A CELL PHONE YOU CHEAP POOR ASS MOTHER FUCKERS WHO NEED YOUR 911.

Sorry I just get pissed when I hear these stories of how stupid people are.

911 shouldn't even accessible on VoIP. Only telephones and of course mobile phones.

Dude if people want go full VoIP to save money so badly with lamage, crap8, trashpulse, wackvantage, shitwing, or broadslut, etc.

Keep a REAL corded phone connected to a POTS line that has a dialtone so you can dial 911. And make the phoens red, and put a label that says "EMERGENCY USE ONLY"

If you live in an apartment and they sometimes get rid of your pair for someone else.

Then don't bitch at your dumb ass for going full voip because yuo think its so leet, yet here is some crazy dude raping your kids and you're fucked because your internet is down and you can't call 911.

"Kids getting rapped? Internet or power out? Can't dial 911? Are you toatally fearing? Then you should get real telephone service with... then you can dial 911 at anytime! and look folks, its reliable!'"

That should be a commerical for landline providers like Verizon, Qwest, SBC, etc.

Keep a REAL corded phone connected to a POTS line that has a dialtone so you can dial 911.  And make the phoens red, and put a label that says "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" 

yes it is good but it is not enough !

what if some idiots would cut off the whole block and you won't get dialtone nor you neighbors or you'll be somewhere near the city and snake will bite you ?

Hurry up, we have to get to the phone, fuck there is no payphone anymore, ok we will find a phone in a bar, bad luck storm crashed telephone poles and there is no service.

Keep a REAL corded phone connected to a POTS line that has a dialtone so you can dial 911.  And make the phoens red, and put a label that says "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" 

yes it is good but it is not enough !

what if some idiots would cut off the whole block and you won't get dialtone nor you neighbors or you'll be somewhere near the city and snake will bite you ?

Hurry up, we have to get to the phone, fuck there is no payphone anymore, ok we will find a phone in a bar, bad luck storm crashed telephone poles and there is no service.

Yep, this happens with cell phones too. Points of failure just shift to other places (towers, batteries, radio waves, dropping phone into toilet...)

If you're having that much bad luck to call 911. I guess it's just time to go. Can't cheat death when it comes to telephones.

I don't know how in US but in Europe if you take a GSM phone even without any activation card (I mean SIM card) you can turn the phone on and dial 112 which will connect you for free with the nearest dispatcher.

'112' is the GSM international standard emergency number, manufactured specifically for GSM mobile phones, and to be dialled in urgent and life-threatening situations. Provided there is GSM coverage, '112' can be dialled anywhere in the world and automatically translated to that country's particular emergency number.

'112' may be a helpful secondary resource if you are out of your network operator's coverage area but within the coverage area of another network. In an emergency situation, a caller is able to connect to the emergency services answering point if GSM mobile coverage is available from any carrier's network at the location of the call. When dialling '112', access is provided regardless of the presence or validity of the GSM SIM card in the mobile phone, or whether the mobile keypad is locked (i.e. by dialling 112, the PIN locking feature is automatically overridden).

IMHO everyone ought to have at least one mobile phone (just mobile, no need for service) to be able to make an emergency call.

Yes.. but depending on the carrier your phone picks up on and the 911 service in your area, you may or may not be able to be traced via triangulation or whatever its called...

Also, on a POTS line w/o service, yes the local phone company is obligated to connect your call to emergency services, but if you dont have a number, and that is what the 911 command center uses to find out where you are; youd have to be able to stay on the phone, tell them where you are, etc... What if it was a kidnapping or armed-robbery?

In NO WAY am I saying I worry about this shit, I have a cell, the power hardly ever goes out down here in the 512, and when it does, the Cell towers still work for me..

*stupid paranoid bitches*

A Florida couple are blaming Vonage for the death of their 3-month old daughter. Cheryl Waller called 911 when her daughter Julia stopped breathing. But she got a recorded message telling her the sheriff’s office was closed. She ran to a neighbour’s house to make the call but the delay proved fatal for her daughter.

2 comments:

First, put a link up to the news article where you got this from. You can't just quote stuff and make it seem like it came out of thin air.

Second of all, I've no clue how the parents see Vonage as being in fault for this when their 911 service did work. Instead they should blame the sherrif's department for being closed. I mean, what the hell? Who's in charge of emergencies over there?

Also here in the US, you can take any old phone that still operates and call 911...

The phone only has to operate, it does not need to be setup or anything...

Payphones also work with 911...

If you have a dialtone, you can call 911. Except for greyarea haha.

But you see in apartment complexes, if you don't pay for phone service..sometimes when people move near you the phone company takes the pair and moves it to someone else for their phone service, thus dropping your dialtone.

Yeah this was all over the local news for the past few days. I figured it would pop here in a few days.

One of the news stations here (Tampa, FL) is sending an investigative reporter out to find out what the hell the problem was. Ill keep an eye out for what happens.

This whole thing was inevitable(sp?) now it just needs to be fixed I guess...

Here's a quick question for anyone that has VOIP... Can you just dial zero to get an operator? If so, that could have been the solution, call the operator, scream histerically, "OH MY GOD, MY BABY!" and bam! Instant emergency services...

-Dr^ZigMan

VoIP providers don't have a 0 op, mainly because they would do nothing. However I heard (haven't confirmed) that AT&T CallVantage has a 0 operator, since they are AT&T. THey can do things like interupt busys, 411 info, test incoming, transfer you to emergency.... which they charge on your call vanage bill.

This makes sense since AT&T/Verizon are pushing VoIP to replace real copper, It would make since if they had an operator to help you out.

Back when I was working for a phone company I was doing some VOIP home office installs for the sales reps of some drug company. They were running ISDN lines to the reps' residences. They had big stickers on them telling the users they should be in "local" mode if they needed to make a 911 call. Otherwise they'd be an extension on the company's PBX in California, and get some PSAP out there.

No matter what connectivity I have, I always keep a POTS line handy with an ancient Western Electric 2500 desk phone hooked up to it. This way if I do have to, god forbid, dial 911 some time I at least know that I'll get connected to the right place.

I just watched the video and I stopped where she said the only place the 911 situation was mentioned was in a specific section of the TOS. And I thought to myself, that's what you get for not reading your TOS, they don't put it there because they like the thought of destroying the forests.

Thanks ic0n! you just saved my life!

Hehe .. seriously.. why not just program the local emergency # into your voip phone so it will just go through that way?!?!