Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZELDAdog

Car MP3 Player Hardware solution

7 posts in this topic

During a recent dumpster dive, I got a few cdrom drives. Originally I was going to make a CD launcher, but I found that the building of THAT is far too damn complex, so I decided to make one of my drives into a CD player. I originally did this because some ( ''> sucking n00b stole my cd player. My friend and I got to talking about expanding this project, and remembering the $3 PII comp that I got, I thought it might be possible to rig the 6 gig drive in it to play craploads of music. Large OS's take a while to boot, so I probably have to write a quick dirty one. I don't have a hardware programmer should it be required anywhere, so I can't use that (unless I can figure out how to build one, I can't read schematics). Anyone got any ideas on this one┬┐

well.. I don't know much about linux.. but I would assume gentoo would be the path to take.. becuase you have control on what goes on the install and stuff.. Or atleast that's the way I have taken things. or you could get a thumbdrive and put a small OS on it.. becuase (from what I understand again) it's supposed to be fast loading.

This probably made about this *holds up two fingers in a pinching manner* sense to you. I'm sorry but I just had to comment since no one else was.

Also, I read somewhere that 3.5" harddrives and the vibarations that the cars make kills the harddrive quickish.. but laptop harddrives are much more stable..

If there is anyone that is interested, I have just taken apart the computer, so I now have a motherboard and a power supply and some other fun stuff on the floor next to me. I think I will use gentoo linux, so I will set it up, and see how it runs. I am fairly new to linux, the most I have done with it is A.) Downloading pr0n B.) Mounted a USB drive <-And holy shit was that involved and hard for me :o

More info as it develops...

Oh, and thx for the help and encouragement. Much appreciated.

Edited by ZELDAdog

probably shouldn't use gentoo then, I've heard it's difficult.. but I don't know.. but Yeah I got really serious about a car pc for a while but prices keep scaring me off. I may still try to make one.. and all those websites out there conflict with each other..

I found this site was very informative. But at random times they'll try to make you pay for the site. So maybe I'll grab the text for us. but yeah there is four parts and only the forth part links to the other parts. I think but check the site out.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2334/article.html

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2335/article.html

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2342/article.html

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2343/article.html

I had built one a while ago out of a 486 that used a laptop drive with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor. It used Freedos as the operating system with a very simple mp3 player that loaded at startup. It was VERY small and and loaded very fast even on the old hardware.

ok to clear this up... gentoo is not difficult, its time consuming and a hell of a lot fo work but its not to hard. You you follow the instructions on the site its not too bad but it does take around 10 hours+ to get a stage 1 workign which is what you want or at least a stage 2 becuase stage 3 installs all the crap. Stage 1 allows you to bootsrap which is where you compile your gcc (main compiler program *nix uses) and customize it for your computer. Warign this takes a ton of time. Stage 2 is prebootstrapped and you need to configure your system and the kernel. This is the second fastest way to install but the most recomended if you don't care about bootstrapping and don't midn reading quite a bit to get it setup. Last there is stage 3 which is a preconfigured kernel and system and installs the os with all the packages that the cd comes with which the other 2 do not. I would not recomend this for what you are doing becuase it uses significantly more disk space. But kepe in mind that you willw an tinternet on ti when you install so that you can update it. It uses a packaging system called portage which was borrowed from bsd. Its one of the most adavnce packaging systems out there and contains the largest databas eout of any I have seen. And one last note. There is one other way to install which is a stage 1 from stage 3 in which you install stage 1 from within a stage 3 install instead of a boot environment. You really do not need to do this but its always there if you want it. This is the most time intensive installation but ti would be overkll for this project.