Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Firefox slow startup problem

5 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem lately, but it was frustrating me to no end. Whenever I started Firefox, or opened a new browser window (not tab), firefox would "freeze" on me and hang there "not responding" for about a full minute. This was happening to me on both of my windows boxes so I knew it wasn't isolated to one installation or box. I suspected that it was an extension/plug-in that was causing it, but they all reported that they were up-to-date and compatible with 1.0.3 so I had to dig through them.

Anyway, I was right. The extension in question is "switchproxy" which by default tries to connect and update itself every time you start firefox. The solution is simply to uninstall it completely or simply go into the options and unselect the update feature.

Too bad, since it was a pretty decent extension if you had a reliable proxy list.

YES! the same thing has happened to me..I had it installed before, but when I installed 1.0.3 I reinstalled it and now it messes up, weird.

---

I found if I went to "Tools>Extensions" then clicked on the SwitchProxy the opened the options and un-checked "Notify me of updates" it helped

Edited by forsaken_saint

i have a similar problem when starting 1.0.3 but i don't use switchproxy. mine will actually open up and will no display any bookmarks on the toolbar or any tabs (i use tabbrowser extensions NOT to be confused with tabbrowser preferences by Bradley Chapman). all are up-to-date with 1.0.3. a quick kill process and restart of FF fixes it however.

glancing over the switchproxy comments, it seems y'all aren't the only ones with the problems.

That happens with me, as well. And I don't use switchproxy.

Happend to me as well without switchproxy. One way I was able to fix it was to delete my profile in firefox and start a new one. Worked great, just make sure you save your bookmarks. My latest problem seems to be when I close firefox it leaves processes hanging around. After a few uses I will have no browsers open but 3 or 4 firefox processes hanging around. I notice the more they are the slower firefox opens. At least they are able to be killed, just annoying to do it all the time.