Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thej3w

Network Stuff

16 posts in this topic

The setup is like this. We have 2 connections. One connection to a internal network that has access to a internal site. The second one is access to the internet but no access to the internal website. So if the computer has internet, and we are able to access the machine from another machine online. Then if the computer that is being accessed has 2 ethernet cards and is online and has access to the internal site then there should be a way for a machine online outside the place to access the internal site. So would proxy software work for this? Or somesort of VPN thing? Here is a diagram if you like pictures more. Any help would be great.

network.jpg

I don't want to sound mean but your post is very vague.

This is what went through my mind as I read this post:

We have two connections? What has 2 connections from where?

If the computer has internet? What computer?

Two ethernet cards? Why do you need two?

Outside the place? Outside in terms of what? On the Internet? Outside your building on wifi?

What does the big red brick wall represent?

2 different type of connections. 1 is the connection to the internal site and only the internal site. The 2nd is the internet connection.

The computer would be a computer at work with 2 network cards. With both connections plugged into it. That way it can access the internal network and get online. The red brick is a firewall, that either exists or it doesnt. I'm pretty sure its there.

So if we have access to the computer inside work from the internet, we should be able to use it as a proxy to get into the internal network.

you dont really need two network cards.

what program did you use to draw this network diagram? it looks kinda cool.

Microsoft Visio 2003.

Why don't I need 2 network cards? We have 2 lines, one with internet and one without. The one without has access to the site we need. And the one with internet is gonna allow us to connect to the computer outside of work and connect to the internal site.

I made a program tonight, that basically does what I want to do. It is very similar to one of those programs or websites that allow a user to get past certain restricted sites. It isn't the best way of going about this thing, but I'm gonna see if it works. I would still like to know if there is anything else that I can do to get this to work.

I configured my room to be like my work. I had one pc be the outside connection(PC1), another be the inside connection with internet and access to the internal site(PC2), and then my laptop was the internal website(PC3). I was able to see (PC3)from (PC1) by connecting to (PC2) with my program. It didn't really have any problems while using the program to browse. I'll hopefully be able to test this tomorrow on the actually computers.

Edited by thej3w

Hmm so your basically using the computer at your work to route through your jobs firewall. Which can be reach by connecting it to the internet. What I dont under stand is why would your company setup a computer infront of the firewall? To me its a security risk, unless your the one compromising the network?

seems to be like you could set up a simple HTTP proxy on either of the machines. You could set up a TOR server (tor.eff.org) a BO2k server (bo2k.com) a sub7 server (sub7.net) or a privoxy server.

I did a quick program that would sit on the one computer with 2 network cards, and basically whenever I asked for the site on another computer it would give it to me instead of the site. Sorta like how a lot of people get around blocked sites and school and what not. This would work except that the network for the internet shared with all the other stores as well. When they first put the lines in they told us we had a direct connection to the internet and that whatever we do is only gonna affect that network. Looks like they lied as I have no way to gain access to it from an outside connection.

So my only other idea to get the internal site for use online is to have the computer with the "internet" to connect to my computer first and accept data that way. Not sure how I'd do this, maybe just a reverse proxy of sorts?

No. This is precisely what VPN's are used for. Do you guys just not give straight answers anymore? Sub7? What in the hell? The VPN will allow you to tunnel, using the internet as your medium, into "your" internal LAN on the other side. This is the main purpose of a VPN - so use it to your advantage.

sub7 and bo2k are great remote administration utilities!

Sub7? What in the hell?

Too bad they are used by skiddies to fuck over Personal Computers running windows.

skiddie usage meters:

fake trojans that actually give you a trojan [|||||||||||||||||]|||| WARNING: OVERLOAD

sub7[|||||||||||||| ]

bo2k [||||||||||| ]

netbus [||| ]

No. This is precisely what VPN's are used for. Do you guys just not give straight answers anymore? Sub7? What in the hell? The VPN will allow you to tunnel, using the internet as your medium, into "your" internal LAN on the other side. This is the main purpose of a VPN - so use it to your advantage.

How should I go about setting up the VPN, never really messed with them. What software and tutorials would you recommend?

Well, setting up a VPN in Windows is as easy as pie - client and server. Same with Linux - TLDP.

Alright cool thanks. I know I tried setting up a VPN before but never did read that stuff, so thanks Im gonna give it a try.

Netcat. It pwns.