matt

Remote Shutdown

28 posts in this topic

Ok, when I first joined this site I posted a question, which was never completely answered. I want to re-phrase my question now.

Storytime:

I was at a family reunion type deal and my uncle was talking to me about computers. He was telling me about a Program (windows) that allows you to reboot a machine remotely without that person's consent, using some sort of switch in the network or modem or something...

He gave this example: "Say you are at a large company that has 400 computers on a certian floor all on one network. You just installed some software onto all of them that requires you to reboot the system. Instead of manually rebooting each one, one by one, just download this program and then it will reboot the computers on the network...All of them.

He said that the way he found this program was that he bet one of his co-workers that he could shut down his computer without installing any software on it or altering it in any way. (My uncle could shut down his buddies computer is what the bet was)

After searching around (what iv'e been doing ALOT) he found a program that could do it, it's freeware, and it either reboots or shuts down all of the computers on the network (without a prompt and without installing the same program on all the computers). It can also do the same thing, via an IP address.

He wouldnt tell me the name of the program though. I tried, but he just wouldn't.

(just a side note: later in the day he mentioned a freeware program called Black Ice but I'm pretty sure that's not what it is that he mentioned before)

Does anyone know where I can find this program or know what it's called? I'm still looking...

I found this: http://www.nwinternet.com/~pchelp/bo/bobasics.htm

http://www.bo2k.com/index2.shtml

And that looks pretty similar to what I'm looking for but this makes you have to install the program on the target computer.

Any help?

Thanks.

Edit- Warning: When I tried to download bo2k from sourceforge.net McAfee Antivirus detected something not good in there.

Edited by matt

Back Oriface is a well known virus, but yes you could probably use it legitimatly for remote shutdown

There is a linux program called "Fanout", it logs in to all machines you tell it to, and you type in one command and it is replicated on all the machines

I need a Windows Program.

Why is sourceforge supporting a virus?

bo2k is not a virus... It's a remote administration tool... It can, like many remote admin tools, be used for nefarious purposes...

you can restart via remote desktop if your on the same local network...

Side note, Black Ice was/is a firewall :) . BO is pretty old too, was it that tool made by the cdc?

bo2k is not a virus... It's a remote administration tool... It can, like many remote admin tools, be used for nefarious purposes...

I'm guessing that McAfee chose to recognize the file as a virus, since if you recieve it you are most likely to be subject to hackers :ninja:

I'm looking for a file that can restart via IPs and where the target computer never recieves a prompt or anything.

You said you were looking for a tool to run under windows, did you also wish for it to only target windows machine?

I have tried that program, and had no luck. I don't think that is what I am looking for.

Ya "Godequalsme" hit it right on the nose. M$ already has a remote shutdown service. The only thing that has to be applied to on a remote computer is to have the Remote Shutdown Service on. Or if one is on a network, one could have a admin rights over the network and script a batch file to try and shutdown every assigned host name. :blink:

(WindowsXP/2K3)

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)

-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option

-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)

-s Shutdown the computer

-r Shutdown and restart the computer

-a Abort a system shutdown

-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort

-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds

-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)

-f Forces running applications to close without warning

-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown

u is the user code

p is a planned shutdown code

xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)

yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

Edited by ThreePts

If that one doesnt work look for psshutdown. It is similar but works a little more often for me. I use it for work along with the rest of the pstools. Check them out.

But with shutdown.exe something has to be installed on the target computer. I'm looking for something that does not require that.

But with shutdown.exe something has to be installed on the target computer. I'm looking for something that does not require that.

shutdown.exe needs nothing on the client computer as long as it is I believe atleast windows 2000.

Another program that works well is a program called, 'languard' you can reboot any pc you want remotely, you have the choice to send a warning message but you dont have to if you dont want to, the best part is that you dont even need admin rights to shutdown the pc

(didnt read all the replys)

cant you just use the shutdown command in CMD in XP. I think its like [shutdown \\computername] or something like that

I remember something from this old NetBIOS tut. If I remember correctly it stated that if a victims computer has a IPC$ username that is usable. One could create some kind of null connection with the victims computer and execute such a command as Shutdown.exe ... I dunno if it works but it is worth a shot.

Are you trying to do this over the internet or on a local area network? I have NOT looked at how it works but I assume it uses netBios.. If you are attempting to do this over the internet, remember most ISP's tend to filter NetBIOS ports. (Even if your ISP doesn't filter those ports, the other ISP the other computer is on may...)

robf

I'll try again...

Your question has been answered numerous times. Your uncle is talking about the remote shutdown service on Windows. I used to use it regularly when deploying software patches.

And it wasn't just 2K and up, NT has this ability as well, but just the utility that controls it could only be found in the resource kit.

So, using this program I could shut down or reboot your computer by inputting your IP address? That's what I want to be able to do.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by matt