Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strom Carlson

Qwest / MCI / Verizon

41 posts in this topic

wow, this is all interesting news. but why the hell dont they just make one big fuckkin company .. oh wait, that'd be against what America is for. Growth. Expansion. And the Benjamins. Although that would be cool, i doubt it will happen in my lifetime .. if ever.

Well, it seems that the telecom industry in this country is moving towards becoming dominated by three to five large companies, each with a large local service territory, long distance network, and mobile phone division. Verizon and SBC are moving in this direction; Sprint is actually ahead of the game with this, since they've had all three for over a decade.

In three to seven years, expect to see Qwest merge with someone. My money is on Sprint buying Qwest. Bellsouth lacks a long distance network, but they're in good financial health otherwise; Global Crossing would be a ridiculously cheap buy for Bellsouth Corp, although their network is not as pervasive in this country as the Big Three (AT&T, Sprint, MCI). A BellSouth / Qwest merger might not be entirely out of the question either.

wow, this is all interesting news. but why the hell dont they just make one big fuckkin company .. oh wait, that'd be against what America is for. Growth. Expansion. And the Benjamins. Although that would be cool, i doubt it will happen in my lifetime .. if ever.

With telephone networks, the enconomies of scale are such the larger companies work better. Bell System was proof of this. Sadly, it becomes a monopoly and monopolies suck. There is no way the government would let a giant telephone company exist. It really just screws the little guy.

this is still so out of hand. i read yesterday that qwest is bidding like 9.75 billion or something now and that some major MCI shareholders are funding the new bid, which puts pressure on MCI to accept it. its so fucking out of control. its never going to be over.

Verizon wins MCI with $8.5 billion offer

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20..._billion_offer/

Verizon Communications Inc. won its 10-week battle for MCI Inc. on Monday, as Qwest Communications International Inc. withdrew its $9.9 billion bid after MCI accepted Verizon's $8.5 billion offer.

ah, finally. The way it should be. Now let's see Qwest do the right thing - kick their marketing into high gear and put their long-distance business on equal footing with MCIzon and SBC&T.

Now let's see Qwest do the right thing - kick their marketing into high gear and put their long-distance business on equal footing with MCIzon and SBC&T.

With the refreshingly sweet taste of telephony from Sprest!

Just think of the marketing possiblities! Instead of Coke w/Lime and all that nonsense, we can have...

Sprest, w/VoIP. It's like POTS, with VoIP!

Sprest One. One flat rate, all the time

Diet Sprest. Local service only

Sprest Classic. Service off a #5XB.

i was just coming here to post this. just read it on yahoo. fucking finally. im so sick of qwests bullshit.

i was just coming here to post this. just read it on yahoo. fucking finally. im so sick of qwests bullshit.

It would have saved them a lot of money though, per the article.

Saving money is something that Qwest could really use.

Edit:

Qwest also saw the opportunity to cut $14.8 billion in costs through an MCI deal, providing its best chance to reduce its $17 billion in debt and improve its weak cash flow.
Whereas Verizon...
Verizon has said it expects to generate $7 billion in savings and other benefits from the MCI deal and to cut about 7,000 jobs.
Edited by BlakeOPS

See, the problem is that Qwest doesn't seem to be targeting potential customers outside of its local service territory. I just looked at their website, and I can get a $20 per month "unlimited" 5000 minute plan on my SBC line. I didn't even know they offered that.

See, the problem is that Qwest doesn't seem to be targeting potential customers outside of its local service territory. I just looked at their website, and I can get a $20 per month "unlimited" 5000 minute plan on my SBC line. I didn't even know they offered that.

What in God's name is an Unlimited 5000 minute plan? :D

I was thinking of getting the $20/month long distance but never went with it because I quit my job. How can you get this on your SBC line if it's only available to Qwest local service customers?

Qwest Choice™ Unlimited: Available only to Qwest local service customers for residential use. Not available in AK. Originating calls available in AK with Qwest calling card. $20.00 monthly recurring charge. Plan may not be used for dial-up internet access; other restrictions apply. Contact your Qwest representative for further information at 800-244-1111. Usage may be monitored for compliance with plan restrictions. Customer may be required to demonstrate compliance where monitoring indicates non-compliance or usage exceeds 5000 minutes in any month. Long Distance service provided by Qwest LD Corp. Listed rates cover calls only within the US and to Puerto Rico, Guam, USVI and CNMI and does not include taxes, incremental charges and surcharges. Local service provider may assess a PIC Change Charge for changing long distance carriers. Subject to applicable tariffs and regulations. All rates subject to change.

If you select California, you get this:

Qwest Choice™ Unlimited: Available only to non-local Qwest customers for residential use. Not available in AK. Originating calls available in AK with Qwest calling card. $20.00 monthly recurring charge. Plan may not be used for dial-up internet access; other restrictions apply. Contact your Qwest representative for further information at 800-860-2255. Usage may be monitored for compliance with plan restrictions. Customer may be required to demonstrate compliance where monitoring indicates non-compliance or usage exceeds 5000 minutes in any month. Long Distance service provided by Qwest Communications Corporation. Listed rates cover calls only within the US and to Puerto Rico, Guam, USVI and CNMI and does not include taxes, incremental charges and surcharges. Local service provider may assess a PIC Change Charge for changing long distance carriers. Subject to applicable tariffs and regulations. All rates subject to change.

Weird. I wonder if that is to comply with some sort of pro-competition rule from the FCC or other...

5000 Minutes? I knew there was a catch.

Veirzon Freedom Extra for life.