Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xeys

Turtle of the future?

9 posts in this topic

I remember LOGO when I was a kid. Is there any use of that now a days?

Xeys

LOGO was some computer interface for special lego parts, specifically motors I think. This was way before Mindstorms or whatever they have now. I remember it being hooked up to an Apple II, and you programmed in Lego's programming language, BASIC type maybe, very simple, in which you told how you were going to run the motor, what speed/what time, although there were probably more things you could do.

Is there any use nowadays? Was there any real use before other than to play with them?

Terrapin Logo used A small turtle as a pen to make simplistic graphics using commands as a begginer's introduction to programming.

It still exists, google it.

I'm almost positive this is what he was asking about.

No, I meant LOGO, the psuedo programming language that featured procedures and a graphical "turtle" drawing on the screen. Using procedures, you could reuse existing bits of code in other programs, like building blocks.

Xeys

Exact same post times. Schweet.

If you feel the need to use these simplistic graphics libraries they are called TurtleGraphics. Logo is still taught to middle schoolers at my school, although they didn't have it when I was in middle school. I've played around with TurtleGraphics in Java, they really sort of suck but they're amusing for an hour or so.