lowtec

Hack the Planet

28 posts in this topic

I don't understand why we would want to do this. I mean, it seems extremely pointless.

Well, if every human in china jumped at once...

Have you ever said, what if I just had one or two more hours in the day? Then this is for you.. hehe ^_^

We might end up regretting this someday....

This is a cool idea, but I really don't think the Earth will move with the force of human bodies. Maybe if we dropped bombs on 1 side of the Earth.

Anyway, I think its a nice idea, however, I think the site should include some facts and reasoning as to why they believe this would work to shift the Earth's orbit.

Edited by upsidedown

there is simple physics rule that states once a body is in motion it'll stay in motion until it is stopped by external forces... so if we jump and make it veer at a 1degree angle even it'll keep going at that angle.. and we'll burn up into the sun...

Clocks had to be adjusted because of the shift of the rotation of the planet after the tsunami earthquake. It was only a few hundredths of a second, but that's a lot over the long term.

The Abstruse One

Clocks had to be adjusted because of the shift of the rotation of the planet after the tsunami earthquake. It was only a few hundredths of a second, but that's a lot over the long term.

The Abstruse One

yea, and somehow i doubt the force of a bunch of dumbasses jumping up and down is going to equal half that of the tsunami :D

nonetheless i signed up :D lmao, count this dumbass in.

by the way the do offer some facts on their site, they say scientists have concluded that at least 600 million ppl need to jump.

by the way the do offer some facts on their site, they say scientists have concluded that at least 600 million ppl need to jump.

Oh nice, I must have overlooked that the first time around. Thanks.

I wonder if they accounted for the combined gravitational pull of all the jumpers offsetting the effects of their impact.

Edited by pbx43k

Ok, lets incorrectly say that enough people jumping at once will somehow have enough force to shift something

It would have to be at EXACTLY the same time. Get 10 people together, and see if you 10, working together, can jump up and all hit the ground at the same time. Now compound that factor, as it assumes hundreds of thousnds, without direct communication, will be able to all come down at once. This is of course assuming everyone participating is following an atomic clock synched device.

Some factors to consider:

What starting position do you need to take?

How exactly do they have to Jump? Do you swing your arms? What happenes if a quarter of the people that try it fall on their ass?

In what concentration do people have to be in order for the curvature of the Earth to not interfere with all those vectors?

What footware should you wear that day, if any?

What surface is optimal? Do you have to be standing on bare rock, or can you be inside?

...and so on and so forth.

In order for this to work AT ALL, each and every person participating in this would have to be standing on a piece of ground that is not compressible all the way through the core, meaning no fissures or liquid of any kind, otherwise, the impulse of you hitting the ground will simply disperse as heat into the ground underneath you, not affecting the any of the mass beneath it at all. Not only that, but they would have to tie in PRECISE measurements of everyone's position in relation to eachother and feed data through a supercomputer to find down to the hundred-thousanth of a second when each and every person should hit the ground. This assumes hyper-accurate data on the topology of the Earth, which noone has. NOT ONLY THAT, but you would have to somehow coordinate 600 million of the most hopeless, mouth-breathing fucks of the Internet to have the reaction time and motor control to react on said hundreth-of-a-second time scale. If you are THAT good at controlling the masses, you should just forget about changing the Earth's orbit by jumping, take over all nations simultaneously, sit back and enjoy all that free time that went into making this webpage in the lap of luxury.

In short, this is completely impossible from any practical standpoint, and you should go back to your Physics homework :P

Edited by masakari098

You seem to be reading too far into this...

This is so goddam pointless and it is so not going to work... I'm doing it :D

I dont really see the point in this... COUNT ME IN :voteyes:

But then again? wouldn't it be alot better just to hack god? everybody knows god is just a nerd programming this world in c++ and asm? HEY WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I THOUGHT OF THIS SOONER?!?!

Lets start my hacking all the church websites... and then we'll DoS Attack the pope :D

muhaha :ninja:

A new thought I have on an old subject, though...you COULD bioengineer a strain of alge that is hearty enough to live on top of large sections of ocean. THAT would probably affect the rotation of the earth. I dont think most fishies would like it though :)

I think a mod should move this to off topic. It has nothing to do with hacking.

Masakari, that's where we get most of our oxygen. ^_^

I dont think most fishies would like it though :)

who cares! the french would :lol:

they say scientists have concluded that at least 600 million ppl need to jump.

they probably speculated that the force would need to be 600 million times greater than that of an average person jumping. more people jumping is not a force multiplier, so it wouldn't work.

A. If the earth went out of orbit we would all die

B. IF everybody in China jumped at the same time they would create a shockave that would level every building in America.

C. WTF?

D. I am going to jump