Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nyx

help with portage PORTAGE_BINHOST

12 posts in this topic

hey there... Just set up a gentoo system, and need a bit of help. I am getting sort of tired of having to compile EVERY single thing i install. I am aware of the --usebinpkg(not exact) option, but dont know of a place to set PORTAGE_BINHOST to. I need the url of a repositroy that will work with portage. Many thank in advance...

Nyx

if you are tired of building from source, use a binary distro. This is what I and just about everyone else tell people in #gentoo

no binhost will have anywhere near enough binaries, nor will they have the latest ones, and unless your environment is the same as the binaries, or they make i486 and very sterile binaries, then they probably won't even work, and if you are going to use plain old 486 binaries, just use a binary distro

I used to run gentoo, until one day i decided i wanted to install k3b (cd burning app), it had a bunch of dependencies ... and it took like ... 4+ hours ... and right then i decided that this was just unacceptable, over 4 hours just to get a working cd burning app...

I FULLY recomend a debian based distro, the package management is close to par as gentoo portage. And you also have really functional GUI apps to use with it too, like Syaptic ... i use Ubuntu myself, which is based on debian (and yeah, k3b took under a minute to install with dependencies ... =p .. and it runs fast)

well with portage you have porthole if you want to use a gui tool...and also there's a new portage frontend called genu...might wanna check that out.

AND for a great amazing cdburning tool try hacburn ;) it's in my sig ^_^

I used to run gentoo, until one day i decided i wanted to install k3b (cd burning app), it had a bunch of dependencies ... and it took like ... 4+ hours ... and right then i decided that this was just unacceptable, over 4 hours just to get a working cd burning app...

I don't get how that is gentoo's fault

just do emerege -s <program> and it will find all programs that match it, most or a lot of programs have a binary availiable in portage. You just need to select that instead of source.

most of the big stuff i use did. i mean smaller programs don't usually but like firefox, thunderbird, i think audicity, skype, gaim...

as far as I know there is no gaim binary, and gaim is quite small, but yes firefox, thunderbird, xorg, oo.org and 1 or 2 more have binaries, they are suffixed with -bin

just do emerege -s <program> and it will find all programs that match it, most or a lot of programs have a binary availiable in portage. You just need to select that instead of source.

actually you should try esearch, it's a whole lot faster than emerge -s.

there were kde binaries if I remember correctly, but since they switched how kde is setup, I doubt it, maybe the meta builds. I dont understand the new kde system that well, I just want kde working... yet its totally different. I think its going to take me a few months.

Edited by oneeyedelf1