Karas Hur

Knoppix

25 posts in this topic

Knoppix STD (security tools distribution)

This quote was taken from the FAQ section of the Knoppix website.

Knoppix is a Security Tool. Actually it is a collection of hundreds if not thousands of open source security tools. It's a Live Linux Distro (i.e. it runs from a bootable CD in memory without changing the native operating system of your PC). It's sole purpose in life is to put as many security tools at your disposal with as slick an interface as it can.

Knoppix STD Site

Has anyone ever used Knoppix? If so I was wondering if it would be worth getting a copy. It seems like it would be interesting to use.

Edited by Karas Hur

Knoppix-STD is an interesting distribution. Basicly it is a live cd that contains a cubic assload of security/hacking tools. I would highly recommend picking up a copy. The only problem I've found with it is that occasionaly it seems to have a problem detecting USB keyboards... But other that that it's great.

There is a "cubic assload" of Knoppix remasters in general, and several good security ones. There's also NavynOS, which is kinda limited in the tools department when compared to STD, but still has some cool tools. Also worth mentioning, even though not a security suite of tools is Dyne:Bolic, a multimedia authoring CD, KnoppMyth, a Knoppix based MythTV CD, Asterisk@Home, a CD that auto-installs Asterisk, another Asterisk liveCD whose name escapes me right this second, ClusterKnoppix, which sets up several boxes in a cluster. Then there's Morphix and openMosix (with derivatives), Slax (Slackware-based), Gentoo-based liveCDs, Ubuntu, Mepis, and probably a hundred or so I've missed.

I'd highly recommend grabbing several and giving them a try to test out features and apps, and also burning several to hand out to people to try. The only problems I've heard of, and also posted about in these forums, are problems having to do with getting video to work. I've never experienced it myself, but I've seen it mentioned every once in a while. Search through the forums for Knoppix to see what I'm talking about.

PF

I carry my knoppix distro with me to school, to friends-houses, everywhere. Very handy to have a live distro in ones pocket.

Very handy to have a live distro in ones pocket.

Haha hell ya man. Turn almost any box into a machine ready for war.

whoa. whoppix is fucking slick!!! those demo videos are fucking rad too!! holy shit. thanks for the link!

Damn, whoppix looks insane.

The Metasploit in Action demo makes it look so easy lol.

I like L.A.S. localareasecurity.com.

whoa. whoppix is fucking slick!!! those demo videos are fucking rad too!! holy shit. thanks for the link!

The videos remind me of the ones from the NavynOS site.

PF

hey does anyone know of any knoppix live cds like knoppix-std or whoppix (ones that focuses on security tools) for powerpcs???

hey does anyone know of any knoppix live cds like knoppix-std or whoppix (ones that focuses on security tools) for powerpcs???

I wish. I believe that there are liveCDs for general purpose distro usage via debian or Gentoo for PPC, but none remastered with security tools that I've heard of.

PF

not even kismet? :(

not even kismet?  :(

Well there's KisMAC that runs very well under OS X.

KisMAC

I just meant that there's no Knoppix-STD suite of tools that I'm aware of for the PPC.

WhiteFlye: iBooks can be had new from Apple for $999 for the 12 inch model - $24/month through their financing. The 15 inch Powerbook about $50/month. I was in Best Lie last night and that's right in line with the Toshibas and Sony Vaios they're pushing.

<edit>Oh, and thanks for the Gentoo info. I knew they had something going for PPC, but I didn't know anything about security tools. </edit>

PF

Edited by pixelFiend

Gentoo isnt that bad. Its not the greatest, but it works.

the link to the download doesnt work though and i checked a bunch of the mirrors and still couldnt find it.

Dang, sorry, I should checked the links before I posted them.

I did find a link for a

Gentoo Live CD, but I am not sure what packages these iso's contain. I notice that the link I posted is from 2003 however and these Gentoo iso's are 2005 release.

Also, I was doing to searching for PPC live CDs and came across the site listed below. It claims to be a PPC bootable version of Knoppix, which would be pretty cool.

http://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/d oc-html/Knoppix-Mib.html

PF - I was mostly just poking fun at those who buy macs. while macs are very pretty I just can't justify the price compared to a x86 pc of equal performance. not that i wouldn't like a new PowerBook G4 :)

I port scanned whoppix.net and found port 21 open. If you telnet to it and type in ''fuck', the sever recognizes it as a real command and will give you:

211-Extensions supported:

CLNT

MDTM

MLST type*;size*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner;UNIX.uid;UNIX.group;UNIX.gid;unique

PASV

REST STREAM

SIZE

TVFS

Compliance Level: 19981201 (IETF mlst-05)

211 End.

lol

Edited by Mario

I port scanned whoppix.net and found port 21 open. If you telnet to it and type in ''fuck', the sever recognizes it as a real command and will give you:

211-Extensions supported:

CLNT

MDTM

MLST type*;size*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner;UNIX.uid;UNIX.group;UNIX.gid;unique

PASV

REST STREAM

SIZE

TVFS

Compliance Level: 19981201 (IETF mlst-05)

211 End.

lol

funny that the ftpd recognizes `fuck` as a command, never seen that happen before.

i used knoppix-std for a good while but seeing as it hasn't been updated in *over* a year, i've moved on to Auditor and Helix with Helix heavily weighing in as my favorite for real forensics work. however, for simple things such as wardriving and some WEP cracking, i'll fire up either LAS or knoppix-std (to me, they're the same thing with a different name, both have nearly identical toolsets).