Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doug

DivX/Xvid

13 posts in this topic

What's the easiest way to covert to DivX or xvid?

For both a high quality and a low quality/internet version.

I want to stop compressing to WMV.

What settings do you you for compression with either DivX or Xvid, etc... things like that. And what program are you using to compress the video.

I cheat.

I use a tool called "UnLoGiC Movie Converter" to turn my stuff into XViD. Its designed for movies destined for PDAs (ie. Kinoma player), but its great for web content because it drastically cuts on the filesize whilst maintaining a decent amount of quality (it will drop your movie down to 15FPS, but thats not noticeable). Its a frontend for Virtualdub.

Edited by Seal

Looks like you can change the FPS. And dude you could easily tell between 30fps and 15fps. I can tell on TV when its 29 or 25fps (tape or film)

15 looks horrible.

when i try to encode raw dvavis i get errors.

Virtualdub gives me error everything saying

VideoSourceAVI: uncompressed frame 0 is short (expected something, got this)

But if i like enocde like a DivX avi or something its fine..just DVAVis wont compress

edit:

damn this compressor works good too. I compressed the high quality hacktv...now i just wish it would compress my master dvs.

edit: I almost got the xvid shit working with another compress program. So far so good EXCEPT something I've had a problem with before with divx/xvid...when my titles come in...they just come and go..they flash on the screen real fast...and sometimes when the screen is black for awhile it'll freeze the up coming image on the screen for awhile, then play. where the hell is the setting for this?

I believe the website's http://www.vcdhelp.com that has a ton of tutorials and links to freeware, shareware, and commercial programs to use. Check the tutorials for converting from one format to another, and includes damn near every one out there.

The Abstruse One

Edited by Abstruse

I use a program called VirtualDubMod, you can change pretty much change everything with the conversion. The other nice thing is that it is completly free and open source.

AutoGK

www.autogk.net

i used this, and i will never use anything else. period.

AutoGK

www.autogk.net

i used this, and i will never use anything else. period.

That only encodes from mpeg2 videos though

I second the vcdhelp either that or use nicky guides, just google nicky convert divx

VIRTUAL DUB IS THE BEST! I just used that by itself, works better. Now I can start playing with xvid! w00t

now is there some plugin to be able to convert from wmv to avi with this software?

try using FlaskMPEG i know it does dixv and dvd ripping,probably xvid too. despite its name.

Might I suggest Dr.DivX for the DivX movies. I used it a couple of times, and it was great. However, then I just started using the built in converter/encoder that comes with Adobe Premiere Pro.

the built in encoder with premiere pro just doesnt work with me when i want to compress.

I tried Dr. DivX and it works for small dvavi clips..but when i put a full 32 minute show into Dr DivX. It's the right filesize, and right compression. Totally perfect!!! EXCEPT THE GOD DAMN AUDIO DOESN'T MATCH WITH IT!@#$%^

So fuck it. Windows Media Video compressor for life.