wiccan_two

Cybiko

6 posts in this topic

Has any body used or hacked the cybiko hand held computer it looks like this and is called the cybiko clasic:

pikoday.jpg

any body that has hacked them could they help me please cos i have one and it has been in my drawer for ages now and needs some atention.

thanx

I picked up a couple second generation Cybiko's (Cybiko Extreme) a few years ago at a big discount, they are a pretty neat little toy. Unfortunately both of mine died for an unknown reason. I think the batteries where probably cheaply made, I just haven't had time to mess with them to find out though.

Your first generation unit is rumored to have a neat hidden feature. The expansion slot is supposed to be a true PCMCIA slot and supposedly someone wrote a driver for a PCMCIA modem for first gen Cybiko's. Supposodly the CyOS has hooks for such a device but for some reason an official Cybiko modem was never realeased. I have never verified this but it's the rumor that has floated around. And also if one was so inclined you could probably make some type of 802.11 driver :).

Second gen units had a different type of expansion slot, it's a different form factor. When I got the units there where rebate forms with them to get an MP3 player for the expansion slot, but I managed to forget about the rebates and never got the players.

I don't know if the first gen units support it but the second generation units could be used in tandom as an email gateway. One unit is serially connected to a networked host and relays email data to and from your remote unit. I don't recall the name of that package though...

If anyone wants to see the second generation Cybiko's (Cybiko Extreme) you can see a page I put up about it:

http://ibmgeek.shacknet.nu/projects/cybiko/index.html

Cant remeber who but they were talking about coding an O/S for it. I never picked one up so I dont know what to think about this but it sounded like a cool little project. Anything in 2600 or Phrack about it?

hi thanx for the posts i have heared about the pcmcia rummor before didnt follow it up though. about the os i have tried tons of things people claim to be os but they are just an app that goes on top of the os like a desktop envitroment i have seen a couple of good ones but they were all slow and had glitches. i think the os is stored on a diferent memory to the files and apps and cannoot be accessed through the normal pc interface mayby some one could try and create some way of accessing it and we could port linux to it. The only problem would be the memory space i tink its 1 meg for the whole thing apps + the os.

thanx

I think I still have my cybiko laying around somewhere. If I remember right, there was some kind of coding enviornment that you could create programs in.

Yes my cybiko has a pcmcia slot on it, so I guess it is possible to code some drivers for a wifi card if you really wanted too. To me, the bad keyboard and crappy screen just make it not worthwhile.

I was given a neighbors broken one, the batteries in those are total hunks of garbage, atleast the first gen ones were.