Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D34D H4CK

Help with mandrake install

16 posts in this topic

i have installed mandrake on my laptop and it gets about 1/3 across the status bar and just stops i let it alone for around ten min and decided that it was waaaaay to long for linux to boot, i did the "verbose" thing when you press esc and it gets hung at the point when it checks PCMCIA devices (which i have none inserted) i am almost a complete nix n00b, anyhelp would be appreciated, ohh yea it is a HP Pavilion ze5170 laptop

Pass no pcmcia to the kernel and see if you can at least boot up. I have personally never had this problem but think that may work. Do you have any additional info, like a specific error mesage, like a kerel panic or something.

it has no error msg it just sits there forever, :( , (and i am a n00b so how would i go about the pass thing?)

when you are able to type in what you want to boot, you should be able to use it there. ive not had this problem before either.

Thanks for the link, i have one question, how can i change these things if i dont have the lilo bootloader and it wont go into linux other than failsafe?

well...that really just raised the question of why a computer with the EXACT same specs would have a problem like mine, yet he had no problem, (cept his partitioning...which i am about 99.9% sure is not the problem..hehe) i am gonna try another version of nix and see what happens..

well...that really just raised the question of why a computer with the EXACT same specs would have a problem like mine, yet he had no problem, (cept his partitioning...which i am about 99.9% sure is not the problem..hehe) i am gonna try another version of nix and see what happens..

well he did have problems with other distros besides RH and Mandrake. It could be that he was installing an older version of mandrake (I know, it wouldn't make much since but it could be a problem but its doubtful)

GL with installing mandrake though :)

thanks i will try that as soon as binrev is over

well....i finally got past the pcmcia part with the first thing (yes i am a n00b, i didn't know how how to type commands in lilo...found out by mistake) anyyyyways, it got past the pcmcia... :D:D:D , but then it went to the very next place (checking for new hardware) and stops right there... :( ....i think i am gonna install something else...i dunno...anymore sugestions?

I can't think of anything else. I think your best bet is to just try and reinstall clean. If your hell bent on using mandrake, make sure you have the most recent release. You can also try to find someone wo has succesfully installed linux on a laptop like yours and use the flavor of linux they did.

ok thanks anyways...i just did an hd install for knoppix....which is just fine for me...thanks for the help guys

As far as stopping Mandrake from detecting new hardware, when the system boots initialy it has the option of pressing 'I' for interactive mode. You can then bypass harddrake which is the hardware detection. Once you get to a system prompt you are at run level 3 so you need to do an init 5 to bring the system up in graphical mode. You also might try booting with the following option.

pci=noapic

For reference

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

http://mandrakeusers.org

Thanks Sickboy but you were a day or two to late, i did an hd install of knoppix...thanks for the link i will keep that in mind if i decide to try again in the future...