Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djmollusk

Judge: File-swapping tools are legal

5 posts in this topic

i just saw that also

cnn news on file shareing is legal

i really don't know how to put this... this is not a victory for P2P networks at all. all this is the people who made the programs are just covering their asses. i don't blame them for doing so, but its legal to have it you just can't use it!! :pissed:. These kinds of laws are useless. they state nothing more than the program or whatever is legal you just can't use it. thats bullshit... you need to either say at a whole its legal or illegal! its not legal to make a nuke and have no intentions of using it!! rough comparison but i'm trying to make a point!

I'm not quite that pessimistic...to me making something legal is a good start. It's like saying a red box is perfectly legal, after all it's just a box that produces tones, but using it to defraud the phone company is not. However in this case, I think trading files, no matter what they are, should be perfectly legal. Whether you hear it on the radio, or download it on kazaa, it's no big deal.

Personal example. I publish "Equal Access", which is sent out to subscribers as a printed journal. Those subscribers paid to receive it, but if they decide to copy it and give it out to their friends, I have no control over that. As long as they don't act as though they made it, there's no problem. Maybe that's just me...

i agree. making the tools legal is a good start, but i don't think the RIAA and the MPAA are going to now say " well the tools are legal now, so i guess we lost this one." no they are going to now instead of going after, say napster or kazza or whatever they are now and have already started to target individual users of the tools. The tools are legal but the process that you use them can still be illegal.